Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing for springs  (Read 18199 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing for springs
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »

This is pretty much the same thing I was doing with good results:

1-Mainline mono to duo-lock with improved clinch knot (only knot I use with mono to swivel/lure).
2-Flouro leader to barrel swivel with palomar.
3-Connect swivel to duo-lock

I typically was using leaders with a baitloop on an octupus hook, and I never had an issue with that knot breaking.

If I wanted to fish a lure on this setup like a colorado blade, I would use the palomar to tie to the lure.

Overall this worked well as far as knots not busting but I found it to be such a pain getting the palomar to cinch down properly (despite lots of saliva). Plus the added hassle of I working with small swivels (#12 I think) on the leader. The whole thing just cheesed me off and I found I wasnt catching any more fish than my buddies with mono leaders, or than what I'd typically get into before when I was fishing mono leaders.

I've gone back to mono leaders and I find I if I go down to 8 or even 6lb in low clear water I get into just as many fish as everyone else. I find it comes down more to the size of my presentation, etc. This being said I know a lot of guiys swear by flouro so to each their own and whatever you have confidence in!

One of the best/most productive fishermen I know uses the cheapest foam dink floats he can find, pencil lead, and mono leaders and on any given day will outfish me and everyone else on a given run. However he has about 15 years more experience on the river than I do.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »

Had a few people asking me on this thread my leader line/main line combo.

Mainline is PLine CPX, or something along those lines. To be honest, I hate it, made a switch today to a different type of 20 pound PLine that is thinner, so we'll see how that goes on the next outing.

My leader is Seaguar blue label, or red label, to be honest they aren't much different, but the red label is way cheaper. I just double checked the label on the line and it says the 15 pnd is actually the same diameter of 12 pnd test, but it's still thin and it seems even in the slowest, clearest water, it hasn't made a difference on spooky fish. I'm convinced I could run 20 pound flourocarbon and not have it cost me fish at this point. The only time I have ever seen line diameter in flouro make a difference is with spooky low water lock-jawed coho and rainbows. Lowest I go is 8 pound flouro and that will get any fish to bite.

As for the knots I use... I just use a basic improved clinch knot for attaching to the swivel, I haven't had any problems with breakage at all, even when really putting the breaks on fish. Attaching to hook I use a basic bait loop knot. Just make sure you wet your knots before pulling, and pull slow until the knot tightens up, then pull hard. You shouldn't have problems with flourocarbon breaking....

PS Some one above said the Berkley transition flourocarbon is good (the brown/gold stuff). It's trash... I broke off 15 fish in a row on the hook set (thank goodness I tried this on coho first). I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, threw 300 yards of it into the trash. Maybe I had a bad batch, but I'd never try it again....

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:45 AM »

^^^ I second that about that Berkley stuff. Tried it a few times this month and it's by far the worst line I've ever used. Good thing I decided to put on mono a few casts before I hooked into a summer run

Kenwee

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 08:11:18 AM »

I use Damyl Tectan Superior 24.6lb main line. This line is thin in diameter and is equivalent to ultra green 10 lb, yet it is very strong, and has only a slight stretch factor. Its the best line I have used. Landed many steelhead as large as 14 lb with this mainline. Available only in USA and it is expensive but worth every cent you pay for it.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »

I am still using mono main line and leader, no need for fancy stuff, still catch a fair share. (steelhead, trout,salmon etc.......

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 05:37:55 PM »

Every Day - thanks a lot for that info! With Pline I've only tried the CXX-Xtra strong in 20lb and 17lb for mainline and I was really impressed. Not sure how well it would do on a pin though. This year for mainline I'm going to test out some Berkley Prospec in 20lb and Seaguar Senshi in 15lbd a lot of good things about both esp the Prospec. A guy I keep in touch with from Searun says it's all he uses on his baitcasters for mainline.

Also, do you think you catch more fish on the flouro? I know some guys says they like it for the abrasion resistance mainly. Personally I didn't think my catch rate went up. In clear water for fussy coho or trout I'll bust it out, but IMO it's more of a confidence thing. Like how I think I shoot better using premium ammo! In reality, if someone put the cheap stuff in the expensive box I'd likely shoot just as well :o

Kenwee, I've never heard of this Damyl line but I'lll look into it. Thank you.

Leapin Tyee, yeah I hear you man! I was all hyped to give flourocarbon a go and thought I'd be outfishing my buddies with their mono, but I didnt, and broke off WAY more fish than I ever did with mono. This year I'm sticking with good old mono leaders (UG mainly) and will bust out the flouro here and there for kicks.

Oh and to respond to the original posting I fish for springs:

10"6 Sage 2106
Shimano Currado 301E
Generally 20lb mainline, but sometimes 17lb or 15lb
Generally 12-15lb leader for springs depending on the water
25-30g DNE float

Kenwee

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 06:32:13 PM »

I have used Seaguar Senshi it is good, strong and thin in diameter but cost more than Damyl Tectan or Dam Tectan. I find Dam Tectan just if not stronger than Seaguar and much more affordable. Try it and you won't regret it.

It is only available from fishes.com

It also has very little , or most times zero memory.

losos

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »

Kenwee your site address doesn't work for me .Is it possible you forgot something in it?

lapa

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »

Kenwee your site address doesn't work for me .Is it possible you forgot something in it?
Try http://www.fishusa.com/Product/DAM-Tectan-Premium-Plus-Monofilament

losos

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »

When fishing for springs the usual bait I used was either roe or wool, both quite effective. This year I'd like to check steelhead hard plastic egg beads. Did anyone had success with it and if so how did you set up the rig.

Kenwee

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 08:09:08 AM »

Sorry guys: it is fishusa.com

go to lines and then monofilament.

Damyl or Dam monofilament lines are made in Germany and they have been in business for 140 years. I used to use these lines some 35 years ago when I was ocean fishing in the Far East for huge snappers, groupers , mackerel and other tropical water species. They have zero memory and the lines wind well into the boat, we use hand lines out there.

I searched all over North America for these lines and finally found them at fishusa.com

Try them out , I am sure you will be happy with them.

Archer

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2014, 03:44:17 PM »

When fishing for springs the usual bait I used was either roe or wool, both quite effective. This year I'd like to check steelhead hard plastic egg beads. Did anyone had success with it and if so how did you set up the rig.

I'd be interested in this answer as well.  How about gooy bobs or scented jensen eggs on a egg looped knot?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »

Jack caught this on 14 lb test last summer.