Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a nice fishing lake with a campground?  (Read 8253 times)

Humpy

Looking for a nice fishing lake with a campground?
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:34 AM »

Hey all, I'm planning a camping trip sometime between June 23 and June 27. I'm looking at something within 3-4 hours of the lower mainland. We really liked cultus lake but year after year at the same camping spot gets boring, so we are looking for a new place to try. I've looked at Lightning Lake in Manning Park, anybody been there? I prefer a place where there is good fishing and a nice family friendly campground. We will be going in a tent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Humpy
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Shawn6o4

Re: Looking for a nice fishing lake with a campground?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:31:01 AM »

If you use the search option and type in what your asking for, you will realise there are hundreds of posts on this topic. Like you im looking for the same thing and found somewhere to camp from a posting dated 2003. So if you put a little work in you will find what your looking for.

I would suggest an interior lake if your willing to commute 3-4 hours.

fishman1

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »

We go to Manning every year and really enjoy it.  Great campground at Lightning Lake.  There are lots of trout in the lake there just not too big but they keep the kids entertained.  I take my cartopper there.  We are going back at the end of July this year.   If your tenting it bring warm clothes for night as the temp can get down low. 

Have fun

W07F3

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »

3-4 hours could take you to Pennask lake and there is a provincial campground there as well. The turn off to get there is in between Merrit and Kelowna on the Connector. The fishing is great, I'd suggest trolling with fly gear if you have it. Otherwise flatfish (most flourecents) produce. On the north east tip of the lake you can find Little Pennask. Its a small lake that produces 1-5lb rainbow with a lot of fight. The little lake can only be reached by boat, and any luck in the little lake Ive had has been from packing a bellboat in. But imagine a bobber and worm would bring some bite on.

Humpy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »

Great thanks W07F3 and fishman1. I have an inflatable 12 foot with an electric motor that I would like to use and I know Lightning lake doesn't allow that.
Any other lakes that allow electric motors and will keep the kids entertained with fish? I like the lakes around the Manning Park area and I will look into those.
Shawn604, I spent quite some time on http://www.campingrvbc.com/camping/ and I have some books on camping spots that I looked at but I was still very unsure.
Somebody suggested that I post this on FWR and I decided to give it a try. Didn't try searching on here though.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »

Try Birkenhead lake or if you are willing to go further Anderson lake both have great campsites and awesome fishing.

Humpy

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

I think Lightning Lake is the most suitable for us, I guess we will use the paddles with the 12 ft inflatable.
I think with kids it would be best to fish from shore, what is the best way to target these fish?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 11:20:02 PM »

Try Birkenhead lake or if you are willing to go further Anderson lake both have great campsites and awesome fishing.

Do you guys fish Anderson from shore or with a boat? Always been wanting to fish Anderson and Seeton.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:03:08 AM »

Do you guys fish Anderson from shore or with a boat? Always been wanting to fish Anderson and Seeton.

Shore access is limited at both Anderson and Seaton lakes.  A boat is your best bet..

Back to the OP, Birkenhead is an awesome place to camp and fish.  Blackwater lake is a 10 min drive from the campground, another very productive lake.   

Humpy

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »

Thanks everyone, I guess it will be between Lightning Lake and Birkenhead Lake, maybe even Osoyoos Lake.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »

At Anderson lake i fished from a boat for most of the times but when i cant i fished at the mouth of gates creek(red barn campsite) with luck with smalller rainbows and bull trout.But i managed 6 lb rainbow too.

wizard

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »

W07F3, what are you doing using a flatfish at pennask? that lake is artificial fly only.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:35:57 PM by wizard »

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »

First question.

Where in the Lower Mainland are you located/what do you consider the Lower Mainland?

My main reason for asking is Vancouver vs say Chilliwack (what I think is the Fraser Valley) is an hour difference, and allows for a much greater range then being in Van.

My first suggestion is Hicks Lake if you can get in. If you are looking for shore fishing it is possible, but often swimmers/sun bathers are at the rocks.  If you have a boat it would be better.

Lightning lakes is another good option, with plenty of shore access. 

And if you want to go a little bit further you can hit up Lac le Juene, haven't fished it however I do know of some decent fish from the lake, and there is a big provincial park there.

here is a video of an Otter and a poor fisherman at Lac le Juene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vws1FTDt6y8

Humpy

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »

Vancouver is what I consider the Lower Mainland, but 4 hours from Chilliwack is doable. I was even considering Tunkwa Lake, how's their campsite?