Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sturgeon reel  (Read 12248 times)

mr.bean

sturgeon reel
« on: May 18, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »

when I was growing up in Europe, the only reels I  knew were spin casting reels. so when I came to Canada bait casting or level wind reels were a new thing for me. so I stuck with a heavy duty penn  saltwater spinning reel for my sturgeon fishing in the fraser. and it worked well. but since it is never to late to try something new I am now in the market for a good sturgeon reel. it would go on a 12 foot ugly stick. since  I only fish from shore I need a reel which can cast   quite a long distance. I don't mind spending the money for a good product. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Tenz85

Re: sturgeon reel
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »

Alot of guys like the Penn 330 but I think your better of sticking with the spincaster if you're shore fishing. Maybe better off investing the money for a new reel on something different but if your just looking to try a new reel Penn 330 is a popular choice.

barklee

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »

I love and use for sturgeon the largest Penn Battle black with gold accents very smooth and i use braid with it as well caught many sturgeon over 7 foot with this. (spinning)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:59:11 AM »

Penn 330 is a popular choice as well as the easier to handle Penn 320.

These are the standard workhorse reels for a reasonable buck.
There are other reels like Penn International and Avett if you want to spend more money but not necessary.
If you want something that will last a while,stick with the levelwind type of reel.
They take a bit of getting used to casting but easy peasy once you have done it a few times.

bbwong

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »

Just get a Daiwa - Saltiga Surf 6000 from Berry's. Highly recommend if you fish from the shore. On sale now.

bbwong

mr.bean

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »

thanks for all the advice. I will do some researching and should come up with a decent reel.

mr.bean

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »

I don't think there is a levelwind reel out there which can cast further than a spinning reel, so  I will upgrade my old penn spinnfisher reel. the only problem is ,  I cant find  a reel which can hold  at least 300 yards of braided line  rated 150 pound test. my old reel holds  a little over 200 and  I got almost spooled once.

bbwong

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »

150 lbs test line? What rod you're using? Will it be break your rod instead of your line.

losos

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »

150 lbs test line? What rod you're using? Will it be break your rod instead of your line.
They're still deconstructing Port Mann bridge.

jackson

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

My brother got me a shimano Socorro 10000F and it can cast a mile with a ton of weight!

bbwong

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »

They're still deconstructing Port Mann bridge.
Don't get me wrong. No offense. But it's a very common issue that people didn't look at the capacity of the rod can handle.

jackson

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 08:00:41 PM »

Btw the shimano reel I said is a spinner lol

mr.bean

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »

I talked to freds  and searun  in coquitlam, they both told me to fish from shore get a 12 foot heavy duty ugly stick. its rated up to 50 pound. to cast far from shore a levelwind wont do, so spinningreel it is.  iwas told to get a braided mainline not less than 100 pound test, preferable more. that's why I was thinking 130 or 150. I know the rating of the rod and the high test of the line is  conflicting. its a bit confusing to me. if you fish from a boat you can move the anchor, and chase the fish, so less line on the reel is ok. from shore, if you hook into a larger fish, I  probably need lots a line , so I don't get spooled? that's why I was trying to find a proper spinning reel which can hold a sheit load of braided line. again any input would be appreciated.

Tenz85

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 11:31:46 PM »

I think there are a lot of factors when it comes to line rating. The lighter the line the further you cast will go however too light and the cast wont come back. youcan use a lighter line but I find braid does wear down with use so 65 lbs test can turn into 25 or 30 if over used or not properly maintained. I'm running 80lbs test right now and find it breaks off on occassion due to miscellaneous wear from the lead from rubbing on rocks clay banks sticks etc. Obviously cut 10-15 feet off from time to time but bottom line the line needs to be changed periodically .. That being said I'm going to downgrade to 65lbs test next spool. I'll just have to play the fish more.