Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sturgeon reel  (Read 12249 times)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: sturgeon reel
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 04:53:59 AM »

Dropping down to a lighter line is not recommended at all look up the sturgeon guidelines .I fish from shore most of the time and I use 150 braided line and |DO NOT have any issues with break off's ,hell I have not even changed my hook or leader :)

Here ya go :  www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/docs/ws_guidelines.pdf

Tenz85

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »

Good point. I'll reconsider that and prob stick with 80 or go up then add a heavier line for the lead and leader. 

Archer

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »

I started fishing Dino's this year.  I set myself up with a 10' heavy action Rapela Magnum rod with a Penn 320 levelwind with 100lb braided. Only caught a 3 footer so far but the reel casts nice.  I am used to levelwinds, and have no problem casting far enough. With freshet in full affect, you will find you don't need to cast so far as the Dino's will seek refuge closer to shore to keep out of the strong current and constant debris.
I am not against spin reels at all, don't get me wrong.  Ensure its big and heavy for the dino's, lots of drag to put the brakes of those beasts!

It comes down to preference in most cases.  If you are more confident slinging a pound of lead out from shore on a spincaster, by all means. 

Archer

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-OPP5500-Opus-Plus-Spinning-Reel-SALE-/200841154565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec310d005

My brother uses this inexpensive spin reel on a medium heavy Okuma 10' rod, and was casting 12oz led smooth last weekend.  I am sure you could find it at a local shop.  My brother uses 100lb powerpro.  Its got 33lb of drag, that outta doer.  8)

Archer

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »

The Opus 5500 is on sale at Barry's for $59.99. Nice!
Or if you have lots of money and want to spoil yourself, that Daiwa 6000 series a fellow blogger posted is very nice, but at a price!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 07:43:41 PM »

Look on craigslist :) Hey Archer how many times have you been out ?

mr.bean

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »

I am leaning towards the penn spinfisher ssv model 10500. 80 test braid gives you 580 yards,so 130 test should give me at least 300 yards I  figure. the max drag  is 40 I believe. that should do it.

mr.bean

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »

On the other hand, as soon I Winn the lottery I shall get the shimano Stella , only  1200.-- bucks. Lol

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »

Get used to buying a new reel every year or less.
Spinning reels might be a bit easier to cast and that's great but I have yet to see one stand up to the abuse of Sturgeon fishing.

Like already said the river is very fast right now and the further you throw it out there the more it will drift.
The more it drifts the better chance of a snag.

Everyone thinks they need to throw it half way across the river and for Sturgeon is not needed at all.

Archer

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »

Look on craigslist :) Hey Archer how many times have you been out ?

Hey Rantalot,

I have only been out three times since i got the new rod and reel. Caught the 3 footer on my first trip on Poplar Bar, then tried Derby at the start of May and no led could keep still!! (Freshet) then got a whipper injury in a rear end car collision so i was taking it easy. Went back to Poplar last Monday...it's gone :-) the channel is wide and strong now, 14oz was my heaviest and it barely stayed down!!! Got on one but it got away cause my snap swivel for the led was too small and cut the mainline!!! Now i use big beads and big snaps for the led on the mainline to avoid cuts.

Archer

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »

Get used to buying a new reel every year or less.
Spinning reels might be a bit easier to cast and that's great but I have yet to see one stand up to the abuse of Sturgeon fishing.

Like already said the river is very fast right now and the further you throw it out there the more it will drift.
The more it drifts the better chance of a snag.

Everyone thinks they need to throw it half way across the river and for Sturgeon is not needed at all.

Especially now with freshet. Both my bite and my bro's last Monday near Poplar Bar was not more then 15m from shore.

Archer

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »

Ohhh, I like that Penn Spinfisher 10500. Solid heavy reel for under 200. Buy it, bag on it, keep it oiled. I bet you get several years.
Sure, for the price you can get a Penn Squal Levelwind, and it will out gun the spin reel, but you want a spin reel, so go for it and enjoy it  :D

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »

Spinning reels are awesome for big game fishing, just buy quality.
A lot of BC anglers are out to lunch on their view on spinning reels.
I land handfuls of large Steelhead on spinning reels on a huge river known for the largest and hardest fighting steelhead, much to the dismay of the fancy guys and their centerpins. Often they bird nest badly trying to cast to the far side of the river where I cast easily with my spinning reel.

I heard there is new thinner and stronger power pro out now, just get the 100 pound and you should be able to pack loads on a quality spinning reel.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

wallygator24

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 06:45:07 AM »

I'm going to have to agree with BentRods.  Spinning reels are the cats meow in some applications.  I float fish with my spinning reel for summer steelhead.  You can toss minimum weight with little effort across the river.  New power pro line is super slick 8 and it's nice but pricey.  I've been using it for some time,  but I always attach a bumper leader to it in order to not spook summer fish with bright yellow line. 

stormhaven

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »

The reel I use I Mexico should do the trick and doesn't break the bank .
Dawia 6500H landed a 500lb bronze whaler with it .
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:28:02 PM by stormhaven »