Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River juvenile steelhead release  (Read 4182 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2014 Chilliwack River juvenile steelhead release
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »

GoFishBC has spent the last three days releasing juvenile steelhead into the Chilliwack/Vedder River. It's a three day operation as fish have to be trucked from the Chilliwack hatchery down to various releasing locations in the lower river below the Vedder Crossing. Here are some photos of today's release.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: 2014 Chilliwack River juvenile steelhead release
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »

Rod, what was the average weight of the juveniles?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »

And for those little suckers that don't migrate out of the system, I'll be seeing you in July with some young anglers, bobbers and woms! :)   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »

Rod, what was the average weight of the juveniles?

Dave, we were betting on how fast you were going to ask me that after I posted it! ;D

I might be wrong, but I was told average weight was 70g. I'll get a confirmation later on once today's release is done.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »

;D ;D ;D 

buck

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »

Dave , if in fact the average release size was 70 grams there should be a lot of residual trout in the system this summer.  Missed target release size by 10 grams. What a waste of wild steelhead if juveniles are being released undersized. You can bet that sections 5 and 6 were a lot smaller than 70 grams. Did you notice last week that no one seem to know the size of fish when we asked.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:27:03 PM »

Dave, we were betting on how fast you were going to ask me that after I posted it! ;D

I might be wrong, but I was told average weight was 70g. I'll get a confirmation later on once today's release is done.
Tell whoever won the bet they owe me a beer ;D  Looking forward to confirmation of the weight and numbers released.

buck, you know how I feel about this oh so casual use of wild steelhead for a hatchery program that could be so much better.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

Total number of fish released was 115,239, average weight was 70g (size range 61.6g to 74.2g).

zap brannigan

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »

saw lots of people i the last week targeting the juveniles.

fisharoo

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »

What spots did they release them this year?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »

Total number of fish released was 115,239, average weight was 70g (size range 61.6g to 74.2g).
Thanks Rod, we got the same info today while at the Chwk R hatchery; perhaps, maybe, someday, enough funding will be allocated to this program to reach the mandated size of 80g.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »

Dave, is funding constraint the only factor which results in the smaller release size? If that's the case, perhaps external funding from groups such as the Fraser Valley Salmon Society and BC Federation of Drift Fishers should be considered? Last year, both groups jointly paid FFSBC $750 to have these Stave River juvenile steelhead clipped due to a lack of funding so they would not have to be destroyed. I don't see why the same can't be done in this scenario unless the federal institution has a policy that prohibits it.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »

Dave, is funding constraint the only factor which results in the smaller release size? If that's the case, perhaps external funding from groups such as the Fraser Valley Salmon Society and BC Federation of Drift Fishers should be considered? Last year, both groups jointly paid FFSBC $750 to have these Stave River juvenile steelhead clipped due to a lack of funding so they would not have to be destroyed. I don't see why the same can't be done in this scenario unless the federal institution has a policy that prohibits it.
Well, it seems like no brainer doesn't it ... a few years ago the FVSS tried to give DFO 2k to feed chum fry, which would have greatly increased survival to adults.  Guess what, DFO turned the money down :o
Perhaps more astute managers are at the helm today and it may be worth another try.  The issue is pumping warmer well water for a longer period of time, then feeding the fish accordingly. Another problem is it's not just steelhead juveniles that need this boost of warmer water for growth.  Perhaps buck can chime in here as he has far more knowledge of this situation.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »

Who, but a hatchery officer has an actual clue what length a 70 gram rainbow is? My guess is about 7 to 8 inches. I think they are what we have been hooking in The Cowichan recently. At one time I thought they were resident rainbows, but now think they are steelhead parr migrating down river towards the ocean. There is always a few that become residents, but the bulk go to the ocean to be eaten by mackerel and seals. The seals move up to the traffic bridge in the Puntledge River and use the highway lights to pick off the migrating smolts.