Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your prepfered leader length for flossing sockeye - don't be shy.  (Read 21739 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer

It's time to crank everyone up with the upcoming sockeye season approaching. Nothing better than the annual flossing for interesting reading.

I like a rod length leader when bb'ing from shore and no more than an 8' leader when bb'ing from a boat. I like 15# Maxima green for both Springs and Sockeye.

I personally like to set up where I need a 2-1/2 to 3 oz betty to keep in close/frequent contact with the bottom.

I prefer to anchor up in high water where there is a good chance of intercepting Springs and usually once the Sockeye open I get my limit of both from the same location. I'll target the Springs but once I get the two sockeye, I pack up and go or just go early if I run out of time in the morning.

Chuck

The bait is there, but nobody's biting  ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer

I know. :o  It was 50 minutes before you even replied. Is this an indication that we've gotten over this time honoured anual debate?

I don't think so. ;D

Maybe I needed a longer leader.

Ian Forbes

I pretty much only fish with flies, so it depends on the river height and current speed.

Rieber

• Old Timer

I pretty much only fish with flies, so it depends on the river height and current speed.

pffft ... purist  ::)

Ian Forbes

pffft ... purist  ::)

I'm no purist. I just catch enough with a fly rod to satisfy myself. I'm all for snagging sockeye when they come back to the Fraser. Take my limit and go home. If commies and natives can use nets then I see no difference in me collecting meat any way I can. When DFO actually uses a plan to protect ALL fish stocks, including steelhead, then maybe I'll consider giving up methods that are most efficient in filling my freezer.

mvelasco

I'm new on the spey. Would a 15 ft leader with a t14 mow tip work? And to save money can I just swing a a 4/0 hook instead using a fly?  ;D ....Jk jk

Humpy

I like to use a 10 ft leader.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Rieber

• Old Timer

I'm new on the spey. Would a 15 ft leader with a t14 mow tip work? And to save money can I just swing a a 4/0 hook instead using a fly?  ;D ....Jk jk

I see lots of spey guys going after salmon in the Fraser. the channel below Peg Leg (Minto Channel?) right off the road seems to be a popular spot. Most bouncers stay away from the fly guys there. Put a little wool on your hook to keep it legal and help keep it off the bottom then you're good to go. That 4/0 would be a little scarey on a spey but can't be any more scarey than 12' leaders and 3/0 hooks bottom bounced on a windy afternoon with the guys stacked up shoulder to shoulder. - what could go wrong?

Rieber

• Old Timer

I'm no purist. I just catch enough with a fly rod to satisfy myself. I'm all for snagging sockeye when they come back to the Fraser. Take my limit and go home. If commies and natives can use nets then I see no difference in me collecting meat any way I can. When DFO actually uses a plan to protect ALL fish stocks, including steelhead, then maybe I'll consider giving up methods that are most efficient in filling my freezer.

Good to see I can still get a "take" from an well experienced fish like you Ian.  ;D

I know if I was as proficient on the fly as you I would stick to fly fishing as well. I personally haven't given sockeye much of a try on the fly. I'm sure it would be a blast to battle sockeye on a single-hander in the Fraser. Once I commit to the sockeye meat fishing, I want to get my limit of socks fast as I can and then get off the water. It's hot and dangerous and I don't like combat fishing anymore. Plus I don't fish where ther doesn't seem to be at least a dozen or so fishermen stacked around each other. I like to be heading back home by 8:00am.

Ian Forbes

Because i CAN, I go where I enjoy myself the most. I've caught all the fish I ever need to catch for enjoyment sake alone. I don't need to combat fish so I'm just as happy watching others enjoy themselves, and I stay with my camera. I am happy letting my friends catch fish for me if it gives them pleasure. It is the same with hunting. I've shot all the trophy animals I will ever need to shoot, but I enjoy taking pictures or videos of others doing it.

I would rather work on one difficult trout feeding selectively than catch a bunch of trout by trolling a Wooly Bugger. I don't even care about the size anymore.

BUT, if I am collecting meat then that is what I do in the most efficient method available. It doesn't take a lot of skill to toss bouncing bettys into the Fraser on a 15 foot leader. It just takes the most appropriate tackle. It all depends on the travel lanes that schools of sockeye use. In some places they travel through shallow water close to shore. In other places they are 200 feet out in the current in 10 feet of fast moving water. That all determines what tackle you should use. I have a jet skiff that can move to different locations on the Fraser, so if one place is crowded then I can find another. It is a big river and there is a lot of water to fish if you have an appropriate boat.

MetalAndFeathers

60 feet if there is back casting space. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

It doesn't take a lot of skill to toss bouncing bettys into the Fraser on a 15 foot leader. It just takes the most appropriate tackle.

Ever tried casting a 15 foot leader with a 10 foot rod ? :)

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.

I like the trusty old spinning reel, On a 9 foot rod rated 25-30lbs.   Lined with 60lb braid main line to 15ft of 25lb leader, With a 1/0 hook, good old watermellon Corkie tied onto the tag end (It's more presentable to the fish and entices the to bite more often) And a mixture of green and red wool.

But in all seriousness, Last time I BB The fraser I watched one guy fall into the river, And two 3oz weights go through the windshields of trucks.   Can't stand fishing with crowds,   But I do go watch, It's a fantastic form of entertainment.   And If i want sockeye, I have no problem with going to a fish market and buying it.   Since I only keep 3-4 fish a year anyways.   I fish as a means to get away, And not as a social event.

wallygator24

Sockeye season always brings out the best in fishermen.  Never fails.  I once saw a seagull get clobbered by a bouncing betty in mid flight.  Not a good day for the seagull.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:50:33 AM by wallygator24 »