Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your prepfered leader length for flossing sockeye - don't be shy.  (Read 21956 times)

Ian Forbes

Ever tried casting a 15 foot leader with a 10 foot rod ? :)

It's not that hard to do if you have open space behind you, and you are not in a shoulder to shoulder crowd. Casting a 25 foot leader with a fly rod is more difficult.

But, an excessively long leader is not necessary when bottom bouncing. Like all fishing, it has more to do with line control once it is in the water.

HOOK

• Old Timer

I use leaders 10-13 feet in length. I like the shorter ones for when I'm targeting springs. If I'm out there with the gear stick then its 80lb braid on my reel with a 30lb ultragreen leader, I am not out there to play around but more on a meat mission. This is probably why I nail my fish in a few casts and then head home. Heavy lines allow you to have ALOT of feel to the hook and hardly any stretch when you set the hook. I'm normally home before the wife and kids are awake

For those of you that want to try and get them on the fly, there is no need to use leaders over 8 feet. The sink tip is what will put you in the zone. I believe I was using a 10' chunk of T14 last time. Toss slightly upstream and then a huge mend and let it swing, you will be shocked at how many you catch while stripping in to re-cast  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Speyhead

Not clobbered any seagulls yet...... but I once witnessed a guy blasting a 10 oz weight with a 12' surfcaster rod from a seaside pier who accidentally hooked and ripped a spectators purse right out of her hand and hurled it out to sea......Lol
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:12:24 PM by Speyhead »

Ian Forbes

Not clobbered any seagulls yet...... but I once witnessed a guy blasting a 10 oz weight with a 12' surfcaster rod from a seaside pier who accidentally hooked and ripped a spectators purse right out of her hand and hurled it out to sea......Lol

Moral of story.... DON'T STAND BEHIND ANGLERS WHO ARE CASTING!!!

Ian Forbes

For some SERIOUS flossing... I recommend these Thai ladies...

mikeyman

I saw a guy fighting a sockeye in hope... Brought it up...hook popped out...Betty hit him square in the nuts. He left after rolling around on the ground for 5 mins.

mikeyman

I am surprised you don't hear of anyone getting seriously injured by one of those 3 oz weights flying back and hitting them in the head.

Riverman

• old fart

I have found anything over thirty feet to be overkill.Just sayin.
Riverman

penn

I am surprised you don't hear of anyone getting seriously injured by one of those 3 oz weights flying back and hitting them in the head.
I saw some folks sitting in their boat at Gill Road because the boat owner had just been taken away in an ambulance after being laid out by his own son's side cast across the back of the head. It does happen , a 3 once weight can do a lot of damage .

HOOK

• Old Timer

There has even been a couple times when the water is high still and only a 5oz will get you down. Wanna get hit by one of those ?!  :o

I have seen many lead related issues. Best two happened to a buddy of mine on the same day LoL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

liketofish

• Old Timer

Ever tried casting a 15 foot leader with a 10 foot rod ? :)

The trick is never lift the hook off the water nor have a back cast. I do it this way and I have seen many experienced rods do the same. As you reel in the line with the betty coming out of the water, slowly swing the rod up stream until the hook is between you and the next guy downstream of you but still submerged in the water. Then swing the rod back to the right and pull back barely to get the betty in a centrifugal swing. Pull forward the rod as the betty is swinging up and then forward. This will create a lobbing action of the betty with the full force of the centrifugal action, achieving maximum distance without having to do a full back swing nor an overhead cast. The hook and the long line will never fly backward. The 1st upward pull of the line is very much like a spey guy doing that upstream pull of his fly line right before casting out. The lobbing of the betty will create much distance in the cast because you are using the weight of the betty and not the full back swing which will catch anything under the sun behind you.

Silex-user

When the  Fraser river sockeye fisheries first open up back in (I believed) 1995 I used 3' leader, red corkie with tuff of red yarn and float just like anybody else fishing that time. It usually  took a while before I caught my limit. Then a  few years later, somebody with a bright idea decided to use 10-15' leader to start b.bing. Being stubborn, I kept float fishing until I was getting tangled up with the b.bers lines and  finally called it quits when I got hit by frigging 15' leader with hooked  in to my right arm.

If I want a sockeye now, it cheaper  for me to line -up at Steveston fisherman wharf to get my sockeye there.

Silex-user

Drewhill

Same length as steelhead fishing, 12-15 feet.

wallygator24

Speaking of flossing.  Has anyone used the Fenwik Elite tech 14' bottom bouncing rod?  If so, what are your opinions?  I saw some people fishing them last summer and I was curious. 

Speyhead

Speaking of flossing.  Has anyone used the Fenwik Elite tech 14' bottom bouncing rod?  If so, what are your opinions?  I saw some people fishing them last summer and I was curious.

I took a leaf out of the Brit beach casting fraternities book and experimented last year using a Daiwa Longbeam 14 foot surfcaster on the Fraser together with a Brit type beachcasting rod rest ie one of their tripod style rod rests, it places the rod high enough to get the line at a pretty steep entry angle...I liked using it for bar fishing.

Here's a video link to the particular rod rest I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4v4L1IMmU

Sent off to TF Fishing UK and got mine here in the BC interior within 8 days...great service