Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Line out alarm on Round Baitcaster  (Read 6113 times)

rootbeer

Line out alarm on Round Baitcaster
« on: March 08, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »

I have been looking to expand my gear selection to a round baitcaster for trolling mostly larger interior lakes.  How important/useful is the line out alarm offered on some models?  I've noticed it seems to be an option on the larger baitcasters which seem too big for lake trout, kokanee, etc.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:05:36 PM by rootbeer »

chronicfisher

Re: Line out alarm on Round Baitcaster
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 05:46:46 PM »

My abu revo toro has that feature but it's low profile bait caster.

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »

nothing beats a single action but the click isnt needed if your attentive to your rods, the 6500 has a click aswell.

Ken D

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »

Level winds, though about 3 times the money from a cheap spinning reel, are  worth their weight in gold with the younger sport.. the 5-10 year olds who somehow still manage to foul the line on spin reels, every 2nd reel-back !!

Spin reels on average last 5 years, level winds over 20.  I modify 4500/5500 Abus to take a snooze alarm. Regular Abus normally don't have a clicker till a 6500.  It's not an overly spendy conversion, and makes all the difference on the pond, regardless of the experience or age of the rodsters.

It's really easy to do. Here's a link on the procedure.   http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?7954-Abu-s-converting-non-clicker-to-clicker   It's presumed you have some burs and a rotary tool, like a 100.00 dremel, or a 15.99 Rangoon Tyre (cad tire) clone.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:48:00 PM by Ken D »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:17:38 PM »

--For small kokanee the clicker is all I use with very little drag... thus reducing initial loss from soft bite.
--When trolling this sometimes is the wake up call.

rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I've checked around with some of the Kokanee forums (mostly centered in Oregon and Washington):  Does anyone have any experience with the Tica line of rods and reels.  It seems that they make a "Kokanee" Reel

http://www.ticaamerica.com/product_detail.aspx?id=137&catid=9

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »

--Tica gets a lot of talk on US forums as they sponsor a number of kokanee power events. They are Ok for the price. The kokanee reel is their least expensive model... you might be better served to try used bait caster depending on how much line out and if you also expect to hook into larger fish.
--I use a DAM quick, Okuma Red ISIS and older Red Abu as they can also serve as river casting reels.
--Also old peetz  small just because I like the sound.
--Small mooching reels can be fun again depending on amount of line out and if you prefer the feel.
--Smooth drags are required if you are serious about targeting kokanee when trolling.