Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin rod...  (Read 8000 times)

Hambone

Centerpin rod...
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »

Wondering if anyone can help me find what I'm looking for. I use a silex and prefer a rod with a little more power and a faster action than most other anglers. I've had a sage 3113mb and enjoyed the rod but I sold it in hopes of finding something with a faster action.

It's not easy to test out rods before buying them.. So I thought I'd seek some answers from the forum. Yes, I know there's 100's of previous discussions about rods, but in looking for something a little different.

I've considered the trophy xl Titan 3106, sage 4120.... Doesn't have to be high end either. Does anyone use a technium with their pin reel?? Was considering trying one of them in medium as the over the counter warranty is hard to beat.

Thanks in advance

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin rod...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »

Batson Rainshadow XST1263F is higher power and faster action than most centerpin rods.
By contrast the XST1383F is less power and significantly slower action than the 1263.
They don't sell rods but there are plenty of builders around.

I am currently wrapping one as a levelwind for one of my fishing buddies, and it's my go to salmon/steelhead float rod.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:14:19 PM by typhoon »

sandy999

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »

Wondering if anyone can help me find what I'm looking for. I use a silex and prefer a rod with a little more power and a faster action than most other anglers. I've had a sage 3113mb and enjoyed the rod but I sold it in hopes of finding something with a faster action.

It's not easy to test out rods before buying them.. So I thought I'd seek some answers from the forum. Yes, I know there's 100's of previous discussions about rods, but in looking for something a little different.

I've considered the trophy xl Titan 3106, sage 4120.... Doesn't have to be high end either. Does anyone use a technium with their pin reel?? Was considering trying one of them in medium as the over the counter warranty is hard to beat.

Thanks in advance

Good Day Hambone:
Just a short note to let you know that I have a Titan Trophy XL TTCP2106-10`6" Power 2 centerpin rod and I really do like it. I have like you, owned quite a few more expensive rods such as Sage, Loomis etc. just to name a couple. This Titan Rod not only looks good but also the price is right. When I bought mine it sold for $199.00 plus tax of coarse. That is a lot of rod for that amount of money.

Hambone

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »

I hold the rod in the "new school" style so I guess having a down locking reel seat would be a minor pain. Any issues with the reel seat Sandy??

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »

I've been using my amundson wind warrior 6 wt switch rod the past couple of months. It casts amazingly well compared to every other rod I've used.

I'm a big fan of whippy faster action rods for almost all the fishing I do. I love this one for the pin, fast and super whippy but good back bone. I'm definitely going to try and get a new blank built into an actual pin rod this summer. I havent ever fished a 3113 but I've picked up a few. The amundson is very similar in feel, slightly faster, and a lot lighter (weight wise) which I like!

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »

....from what I recall of the  in-store stick shakin' I've done  the trophys and the lamiglas certified were on the faster side...the techniums I've shook were too heavy in the hand to consider fishing all day on the river...fenwicks are somewhere in the middle of slow/faster...
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

sandy999

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »

I hold the rod in the "new school" style so I guess having a down locking reel seat would be a minor pain. Any issues with the reel seat Sandy??

Good Evening Hambone:
 I do not know what style is "new school". I certainly do not have a problem with the down locking reel seat. In fact I really like it because my bottom hand is the one that I apply pressure on the reel spool when casting. I would rather have my hand on cork than on the reel seat. Also using the reel I do there is only a small portion that shows above the reel. My vote is that it works well.

Silex-user

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »

The Sage 3106B is little stiffer action rod or try find Sage 4110B even stiffer action.

Silex-user

mojo7

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:34:06 AM »

My first CP was a Trophy xl 10'6". It wasn't a bad rod but when I tried out a friends Sage I really liked the softer feel/slower action than the stiffer fast action Trophy so went on a search for something similar on a budget. I found the Technium has almost the exact same action profile as the Sage 3113m as I eventually bought a Sage 3113 because I wanted a longer rod than the 10'6" and it was the only longer rod that matched the Technium action profile. So don't get a Technium if you don't like the slower Sage action profile. If you do want a Sage 3113m on a budget I highly recommend the Technium.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 06:26:52 AM »

If you are looking for a new sage, I know I have a 4110 and 4120 blank and I may still have a 3106 blank too.

Another rod I really like is the lamiglas GHS 1382mh.  It has a soft tip and a strong back bone so it feels to me to be a bit softer than a sage 4120 but about the same back bone.  I tied up 4 of those several years back and haven't touched it for a while so I could move that along.

Please drop me an email if your interested in a sage build or the lami.

thanks.

jim

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »

If you are interested in an older rod, Fenwick made a 6 power, 11' rod back in the 80's. Model Blackhawk 1326. Not many around anymore tho'.
 A friend used his for everything incl. big white springs. Not a wimpy rod.
 Used tackle sale might unearth one.

Hambone

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »

Gooey I sent you an email.