Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Radioactive salmon  (Read 2676 times)

paulj

Radioactive salmon
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »

Anyone have information on how Japan's radioactive spillage is affecting our water and the marine life? Including salmon?  It's scary as radioactive materials cannot be seen with naked eyes and stays for hundreds of years in the ecosystem.

I hear conflicting stories in the internet.

Also heard stories of "yellow salmon" showing up in our waters. 

Are the fish caught in the west coast safe to be consumed?
I will still enjoy fishing but not sure if I will be consuming any of the salmon caught this year....

islanddude

Re: Radioactive salmon
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »

Check out Rense.com lots of information on the Fukushima disaster.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »

Have been wondering about this also.
Not so much the Salmon but I like to eat the local Crabs a few times a year.
Maybe the next thing for the boat is a handheld Gygercounter. :o

Ian Forbes

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »

You guys have been using glow in the dark lures for years; why not glow in the dark salmon?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:25:44 AM »

Check out Rense.com lots of information on the Fukushima disaster.

better to check out some credible info IMO.

the radiation will be of a relatively low magnitude once it gets far from the site. Micro garbage - near microscopic plastic debris is considered a bigger risk

http://enenews.com/canadian-govt-scientists-model-shows-levels-fukushima-will-exceed-maximum-fallout-pacific-audio

http://blog.safecast.org/2014/01/fukushima-across-the-pacific/

Could it possibly be true that hazardous levels of Fukushima ocean radiation have reached North American Pacific shores? If this hasn’t happened yet, is it likely to happen in the future? The consensus among the many ocean scientists who have been monitoring the phenomenon is that Fukushima radiation is beginning to reach the Pacific coast, the levels will be so low they will only be measurable with extremely sensitive equipment, and that while the risks to people will not be zero, they will be “insignificant.”
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Whopperman

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »

I find it funny that people are so concerned about the incident in Japan, not that they shouldn't be however they were detonating nuclear warheads in the Nevada desert for years. Throwing all manner of radioactive dust into the air and up until a 5 or 10 years ago (I can't remember exactly the last test date) they were still testing in the pacific. If you are getting radioactive fish I'm sure they were radioactive before the incident in Japan. I'm not trying to be a dick (my wife says I come by it naturally without trying) so hopefully you guys don't take it that way.

Dogbreath

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »

I find it funny that people are so concerned about the incident in Japan, not that they shouldn't be however they were detonating nuclear warheads in the Nevada desert for years. Throwing all manner of radioactive dust into the air and up until a 5 or 10 years ago (I can't remember exactly the last test date) they were still testing in the pacific. If you are getting radioactive fish I'm sure they were radioactive before the incident in Japan.

'Like'