Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CP Rod  (Read 7771 times)

Carich980

CP Rod
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »

I got a rod at the SSBC auction its the 4106 LL, Brian told me he figures its rated about 10 -14lb. Im having trouble finding out any other info on the rod then that. Web searches are coming up empty. Can anyone give me some general info on this rod and how the 4 power light line compares to my 2106 L. Being that its a light line is it comprable in strength to a 3 power or how does that all work?

Also what CP reel would match this rod most appropriately? Does it really matter?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: CP Rod
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »

The 4106LLB is a pretty rare blank. You could try calling Sage in WA state and try asking for someone who is familiar with the older Sage brown blanks from the 90's.

That rod would be a great rod for any fish in any of the LML rivers, it'll have a super soft top half but a very good amount of back bone in the bottom half. I can honestly say I'm jealous that I wasn't able to attend the event to have a chance at that rod  :-[ As for reels throw on whatever you prefer to use, I myself am fond of the Milner Kingfishers.

Was that rod auctioned or was it a draw prize?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »

If it is a sage 4106 LLB, line rated is approx 4-8 lb.  A fellow members Kingpin and Ivan had one, may be they can give you a few answers.  

Carich980

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »

The Rod is a Sage 4106 LLB, it is absolutley stunning. It was auctioned off. Im looking to put a Milner or a campbell on it.

Thanks for the tips I'll try contacing sage for more info.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »

What did you pay for the rod? Wanna post some pics? lol
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »

Brian babcock might have some info
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »

line rating is 4-10lb....excellent small creek steelhead and coho rod....Mine is being buried with me
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Brian Babcock

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 04:09:10 PM »

First off, thanks for supporting SSBC and bidding on that rod in the auction. Sounds as though it ended up in good hands. As mentioned above, it is a truly rare blank and a pretty cool addition to any centerpinners's collection. To your questions:

I wouldn't bother contacting Sage on this one. It is such a rare model that I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that was around when this rod was made. There's probably one guy in R&D that would know a bit but you probably won't be able to get through to him. Sage is first and foremost a fly rod company and the Gear end of things has pretty much been turned over to me now. With that in mind, I'll do my best to give you some info.

4106LLB: 10'6" power 4 Light Line Blank
* Made for approx. 4 years back in the 90's as I recall.
* Simply didn't sell enough numbers to stay in the line-up. This was back in the day when powerful, 10'6" slow action (fiberglass was still popular) rods with 4" Silex reels loaded with 20 lbs Ultragreen line ruled the river. A rod like the 4106LL was very different from what was the popular choice. Nonetheless, those who took a chance with this rod, fell in love with it. A bit ahead of it's time.
* Back then Sage offered the following 10'6'' blanks as best as memory serves me: 1106LL, 2106LL, 4106LL, 2106L, 3106L, 2106, 3106
* The best way to explain the differences would be to categorize the 2106 & 3106 as "fast" action where most of the deflection occurs in the top third of the rod making them suitable for levelwinds. The 2106L & 3106L were "moderate" action with most of the deflection in the top two thirds of the rod making them suitable for centerpins. The 4106LL, 2106LL, & 1106LL pretty much bend right through the cork and are also suitable for centerpin use - especially with lighter line and less external weight.
* Within each of these series there are different "powers" - 4,3,2,1,etc.... This is exactly what you would expect in that a 4 is stronger or more powerful than a 1.
* Line rating is a very subjective thing. It is mentioned above that this rod rates 4 - 8 lbs. I happen to reccomend 10 - 14. Neither is right or wrong. Put it this way, that rod will cast 4 lbs line or 14 lbs line quite nicely and will handle fish to 20 lbs no problem. Use what you're comfortable with.
* The blank itself was made with Graphite ll. This was pretty cutting edge in the day. In the current Sage Gear line-up, most blanks are utilizing Graphite l with the exception of a few of the shorter casting rods like the CT290F for example which utilizes Graphite lll. Graphite ll is a higher modulas than Graphite l. You should notice that this 4106LL will be physically lighter than your 2106L.

That's about all I can think of right now. Hopefully this answers some of your questions. Somewhere in my files I actually have a Sage blank catalogue from back in those days. If I can dig it up, I'll scan and post it. There was some interesting stuff going on back then. Some here might enjoy seeing that.

Nitroholic

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »

I have it written down as 6-12LBS

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »

Thanks Brian, great information!  Iv'e seen a few of your recent rods and they are excellent.
Just curious, do you any 2106 L blanks for sale?  if so .. price?

Carich980

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 05:49:05 PM »

First off, thanks for supporting SSBC and bidding on that rod in the auction. Sounds as though it ended up in good hands. As mentioned above, it is a truly rare blank and a pretty cool addition to any centerpinners's collection. To your questions:

I wouldn't bother contacting Sage on this one. It is such a rare model that I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that was around when this rod was made. There's probably one guy in R&D that would know a bit but you probably won't be able to get through to him. Sage is first and foremost a fly rod company and the Gear end of things has pretty much been turned over to me now. With that in mind, I'll do my best to give you some info.

4106LLB: 10'6" power 4 Light Line Blank
* Made for approx. 4 years back in the 90's as I recall.
* Simply didn't sell enough numbers to stay in the line-up. This was back in the day when powerful, 10'6" slow action (fiberglass was still popular) rods with 4" Silex reels loaded with 20 lbs Ultragreen line ruled the river. A rod like the 4106LL was very different from what was the popular choice. Nonetheless, those who took a chance with this rod, fell in love with it. A bit ahead of it's time.
* Back then Sage offered the following 10'6'' blanks as best as memory serves me: 1106LL, 2106LL, 4106LL, 2106L, 3106L, 2106, 3106
* The best way to explain the differences would be to categorize the 2106 & 3106 as "fast" action where most of the deflection occurs in the top third of the rod making them suitable for levelwinds. The 2106L & 3106L were "moderate" action with most of the deflection in the top two thirds of the rod making them suitable for centerpins. The 4106LL, 2106LL, & 1106LL pretty much bend right through the cork and are also suitable for centerpin use - especially with lighter line and less external weight.
* Within each of these series there are different "powers" - 4,3,2,1,etc.... This is exactly what you would expect in that a 4 is stronger or more powerful than a 1.
* Line rating is a very subjective thing. It is mentioned above that this rod rates 4 - 8 lbs. I happen to reccomend 10 - 14. Neither is right or wrong. Put it this way, that rod will cast 4 lbs line or 14 lbs line quite nicely and will handle fish to 20 lbs no problem. Use what you're comfortable with.
* The blank itself was made with Graphite ll. This was pretty cutting edge in the day. In the current Sage Gear line-up, most blanks are utilizing Graphite l with the exception of a few of the shorter casting rods like the CT290F for example which utilizes Graphite lll. Graphite ll is a higher modulas than Graphite l. You should notice that this 4106LL will be physically lighter than your 2106L.

That's about all I can think of right now. Hopefully this answers some of your questions. Somewhere in my files I actually have a Sage blank catalogue from back in those days. If I can dig it up, I'll scan and post it. There was some interesting stuff going on back then. Some here might enjoy seeing that.

Thanks for the response that answered all my questions about it.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »

Thanks for the info Brian. See you soon! 8)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »

Thx for the history lesson Brian, it's nice to hear some of the info on the old blanks.

With Sage producing limited blanks nowadays for you to continue on their gear program with, I still don't understand why they won't put out a few 2106l or 3113l blanks. With how desirable the few remaining are to people, I would think there still has to be some demand.

Silex-user

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »

I too have  Sage 4106LLB blank  which was brought from Hub's Sport back in 90's and I had Brian Ford from West Coast Tackle build it in to casting rod. Also, I have old 1992 Sage Blanks Catalog which listed all Sage Fly, Casting and Spinning blanks.

According to Sage catalog the 4106LLB is listed under Slow Action Lightline Steelhead Blanks : weight 2 1/4 oz. 2pc, line weight 6-12 lb and suggest list price $160.00.

Hey Brian  B. you should know who I am......I had lots Sage blanks built by you back in 90's. Last time I ran into you was at Sea Run Tackle Spring sale  (last year)and you show me some Hardy fly reels spare spool in back room. ??? ;D

Silex-user

rustybee

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »

Great read. Thx for the intel Brian.