Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishin the West Coast of Mexico  (Read 5042 times)

Riverman

• old fart
Fishin the West Coast of Mexico
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »

Been holding off on reporting as it has been a pretty big learning curve down here for me.Been here in Sayulita 1 hour north of Puerto Vallarta for 3 weeks now.Took my 7 wt switch and an asssortment of flies and lures.Also my small spinning set-up I use for coho and trout.Some minor luck at the beach in town around the rocks for juvenile cravelle ad small grouper.
   Sayulita is surfing town and the large waves make casting and retrieving a fly a challenge.Next it was a hike to a secluded beach north of town tossing spoons.No luck.I spied a guy surf casting also and struck up a conversation with him.Viola!He fishes daily almost and catches at least as often as most steelheaders.Taught me about rods lures and most important reading water.I purchased his old rod from him and went to town to get some appropriate tackle.Heading out this evening to give er.Good water is approx.1 km north.Will add to this report when I get back p.m.

Riverman

Old Blue

Re: Fishin the West Coast of Mexico
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »

Good luck.  I stayed at the Grand Palladium pretty darn close to there 2 years ago and brought my 8wt.  I hooked up with 7-8 Sierra but couldn't land any as they either chewed through my 15lb leader or shook the hook when they went air born.  I wish I had brought 30lb.  Low tide in the bay just to the north of the resort was the ticket, lots of rising fish.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:31:54 AM »

Unfortunately other than an interesting experience I can not report the catching of any fish as the recent tide and wave conditions make for fish being too far off shore.Super good surfing though and the eye candy is not bad.I got wiped out last night by a rogue wave.Lucky in that I lost nothing.
  Moving on Friday to Barra Navidad.Much more fishable shoreline there so I hope for better action there.Will post on that.
Riverman

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »

Fish the north side of the point at the end of the Malecon in Barra - on the edge of the bay that the surfers go in.
There are locals fishing there regularly with the bottle setup.

I go to Melaque regularly - at the far n/w part of the bay.
You can see the fish rising in the surf there and a few gringos fish there.

There a small fishing store in Barra - you might want to use metal leaders.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »

Thanks Easywater.That is just the kind of tip I was looking for.Hope to post some pics.Muchos Gracias
Riverman

zztop

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »

Thanks for the report buddy you have better conditions then here in yuma arizona.Seeyou back at the vedder in april.Enjoy you weather I hear its cold at home

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »

Sorry for the delay in finishing up this report but fishing kept getting in the way.Found conditions not ideal from shore this year in Barra de Navidad or Melaque.On the other hand on some local advice took the bus to LaManzanilla(not to be confused with Manzanillo).In a word Awesome.The first shot was a bust as I was just getting a feel.Most days there is a bait ball just in the very gentle surf that defies description.Forty yards wide and three hundred long!Millions of sardines and other species.Hundreds of cormorants and pelicans plus other birds giving chase.Riotous pandemonium.
 Day two I brought some bait.Caught some small fish and put them out there.Blam!Big jack crevalle.Sometimes the water roared with their feeding frenzy all around you.At times this was quite unnerving.I was using the off the shelf gear I picked up down here and had two break the mainline and one pop the hook because it was too small a size.Live and learn.Still very much like big springs  on the Fraser.Adrenaline time!The two guys I was fishing with landed theirs.I have got the pics and will try an upload.Not optimistic due to my own incompetence with such things but will give it a go. Sorry for the delay in finishing up this report but fishing kept getting in the way.Found conditions not ideal from shore this year in Barra de Navidad or Melaque.On the other hand on some local advice took the bus to LaManzanilla(not to be confused with Manzanillo).In a word Awesome.The first shot was a bust as I was just getting a feel.Most days there is a bait ball just in the very gentle surf that defies description.Forty yards wide and three hundred long!Millions of sardines and other species.Hundreds of cormorants and pelicans plus other birds giving chase.Riotous pandemonium.
 Day two I brought some bait.Caught some small fish and put them out there.Blam!Big jack crevalle.Sometimes the water roared with their feeding frenzy all around you.At times this was quite unnerving.I was using the off the shelf gear I picked up down here and had two break the mainline and one pop the hook because it was too small a size.Live and learn.Still very much like big springs  on the Fraser.Adrenaline time!The two guys I was fishing with landed theirs.I have got the pics and will try an upload.Not optimistic due to my own incompetence with such things but will give it a go.
Riverman

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »

I am here in Melaque now and fished for the first time yesterday.

Was out waist-deep off the beach (varies from chest- to knee-deep with the waves) and had limited success.
I was randomly casting a 10 foot rod with a 3 oz buzzbomb about 60 feet out.

There was a ton of bird activity (pelicans & terns) and suddenly there was a big bait boil near me.
I cast just past the boil (about 40 ft) and retrieved it through the boil.

Something large hit my lure - took both hands on the rod I use for chum to hold it.
Then, I was hammered by hundreds of bait fish & I kind of freaked out and let the pressure off.

Lost the fish due to a barbless treble but I'll fix that with an unpinched hook next time.

There have been multiple Toros caught in the last couple of days from the beach - biggest was around 20 lbs. 
Apparently, they are massively strong.

Sounds like the best action is 2 hours after sunrise and 2 hours before sunset.
Haven't gotten up before 10:00 so missed the morning time but the evening looks just as good.

Very cool watching large pelicans dive 10 feet from me - could touch them with the rod as they hover over me.

The trick is to not cast randomly but wait for the bait balls and cast behind them.
You can see them coming as they move up and down the beach by the birds above.

I have a bungalow (room with a kitchen) at a gorgeous hotel on the beach for 600 pesos a night ($50).
The fishing is happening right in front of my hotel.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

That is great.Hope you land a bunch.Was at Melaque a couple times last week off the rocks.My gear is crap and I am leaving it here at our casa for some other gringo.Sorry I am heading back home tomorrow or we could maybe have got together.LaManzanilla was slow the last two days.Typical story.Got a whole new set toys to aquire when I get back!Check out the crocs in La manzilla.The best ten pesos I spent here.Goodluck Amigo.

Riverman