Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detecting Salmon bites  (Read 6982 times)

smokedfish56

Detecting Salmon bites
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »

Any pointers on how to detect a salmon bite on the end of a lure while spincasting for salmon? what it feels like? etc

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Detecting Salmon bites
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:32:41 PM »

A little hesitation on your retrieve.

marrington03

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:32:33 AM »

Depends on the fish that's on the other end.

Sometimes you will feel a tap tap through the rod, sort of the same feeling as when you tick bottom, but different enough to know it isn't necessarily bottom.

Other times you will feel as if you've snagged up, or sometimes you'll just feel the weight of something on your rod when it grabs it.

The best advice that most fishing resources out there will give, is that if you are unsure, set the hook. Worst case scenario you set yourself into a snag, best case, you'll have a fish on. Either way, the more you practice, the better you become at knowing which is a fish, and which is a snag.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:46:35 AM »

Usually, the lure just stops. Occasionally, there is a vicious strike. It's the "stops" that can fool you. The biggest "secret" to all fishing is being in constant "touch" with your fly or lure. It can be a very subtle thing and takes time to recognize. With a quickly retrieved lure it becomes obvious, but most often you want your lure to be drifting at the same speed as the current and the lure working slowly. Every lure is unique and requires different retrieves for maximum efficiency. Current speed affects them all differently. Also, the distance a lure can casted depends on its weight and design. It is impossible to put into words how this is achieved. All you can do is experiment.

I have a great love for spinners, but spinners are usually lighter than wobblers and spoons. Spinners usually require additional weight on the line. Different blades and how close the blade lays to the wire shaft also affects its action.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »

With 30 years of guiding I can tell you that is the most common question a guide is asked. "How will I know if I get a bite?" It is the question a guide askes when fishing a new species or method they have not fished before.

Experience is something you get just after you needed it.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »

I just giver a good rip back every couple cranks just in case. ::)

Fishawn

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »

It might help to try using a low stretch line like braid, or my personal favorite, Berkley NanoFil. Sensitivity as well as casting distance is greatly increased. 

Good luck.

jim

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »

Some good advice here indeed. When not using a float an angler gets more of a straight line to the lure and you feel it stop and move in a different way, or a tap, tap or the rod just keels over. Hold your rod firmly and try to run your line thru your fingers, when & if you can.
 A friend of mine had line guides futher down than most people and when float fishing could have the line thru his fingers while holding the rod.

FrayedKnot

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 03:19:24 AM »

Im no expert but my limited experience tells me aside from the obvious hits and couldnt miss it if you tried bites it can be anything as subtle as losing feeling of your spinners rhythm as you reel or your  line losing a little tension if fish takes and keeps swimming direction lure was going.
  Last year was my first where I tried to catch salmon without a float as it was all I had been shown by my fishing mentor.  He would never go and participate in the cast and retrieve fishery, especially in the fraser. This year I said screw it and started going alone. Well after hearing tales of my tenth chromer without driving to chilliwack he relented. He hooked 5 or 6 but all escaped he says because he had never used a spinning reel before....

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »

Im no expert but my limited experience tells me aside from the obvious hits and couldnt miss it if you tried bites it can be anything as subtle as losing feeling of your spinners rhythm as you reel or your  line losing a little tension if fish takes and keeps swimming direction lure was going.
  Last year was my first where I tried to catch salmon without a float as it was all I had been shown by my fishing mentor.  He would never go and participate in the cast and retrieve fishery, especially in the fraser. This year I said screw it and started going alone. Well after hearing tales of my tenth chromer without driving to chilliwack he relented. He hooked 5 or 6 but all escaped he says because he had never used a spinning reel before....

What kind of fish are your chromers from the Fraser? If they are pinks from this last season, then it is pretty normal as there were millions swimming by and I am not sure why your mentor wouldn't spin for them. If they were coho, then you are pretty good and you can call yourself an expert for that, and you sure don't need a mentor. There ain't many here on this forum who can spin for 10 chrome coho on the Fraser  ;D

ALBA CHIEFISH

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »

are you fishing the lightest rod you can ? braid is good for feeling spinners aswell, but a properly balance rod reel and line for the job is most important.

smokedfish56

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 05:11:41 PM »

I may be going a little heavy on the gear if that effects anything. I use a medium- heavy action spinning rod rated 12-30 lb test and is about 9ft long. I use 20lb test line.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 05:28:51 PM »

When spincasting with the proper rod for your gear, you will be able to feel your hardware on the end of your line. You will feel the thump-thump of your spoon and you will be able to feel the buzz-buzz of your spinner.

As others have said, sometimes you will feel a solid strike or a sharp tug. There is no mistaking it.

And, as others have said, sometimes you will feel something "different": your lure will stop, your line will feel heavy, you can feel your spinner blade stop buzzing...

Generally, I find that a hit from a pink tends make the line feel heavy or stop. Generally not a slashing strike, more just a heaviness. On the other hand, coho strikes tend to be more of a sharp tug. Generally...

As you get used to your gear and what it fishes like and what it normally feels like, then a fish is something that doesn't feel "normal"   

The gear you describe is probably too heavy to detect the subtleties of a salmon hit that people have been talking about.           

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:56:43 PM by clarki »

ALBA CHIEFISH

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »

yeah, thats way to heavy. spinning is one of the lighter techniques. dont forget almost all salmon can be landed on 12lbs leader.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »

I may be going a little heavy on the gear if that effects anything. I use a medium- heavy action spinning rod rated 12-30 lb test and is about 9ft long. I use 20lb test line.
If you are targeting big chums and springs that will be adequate but you won't feel the lure very much.  If you go down to a lighter rod rated 6 to 12lbs, you should be able to feel the wobble of your spoon and the vibration from your spinner as you retrieve.