Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detecting Salmon bites  (Read 6981 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Detecting Salmon bites
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 11:09:36 PM »

9 foot spinning rod, 8-10 pound test does it for all my jigging, swinging spoons and retrieving spinners. Handles pinks and coho no problem and have landed many chum and a few chinook in the 5-10 pound range just fine.

FrayedKnot

Re: Detecting Salmon bites
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 02:54:22 AM »

What kind of fish are your chromers from the Fraser? If they are pinks from this last season, then it is pretty normal as there were millions swimming by and I am not sure why your mentor wouldn't spin for them. If they were coho, then you are pretty good and you can call yourself an expert for that, and you sure don't need a mentor. There ain't many here on this forum who can spin for 10 chrome coho on the Fraser  ;D
Ill state for certain that Im no expert. It wasnt 10 in 1 day but over a weeks time.  Tho I had caught lots of salmon on  spinners under floats I hadnt caught one just casting. I kinda misused the mentor term as he is my friend who taught me river fishing 15 yrs ago. My knowledge has grown alot in the last 2 yrs thanks to internet and the forums while he resists change in his ways . Tho I dominate during salmon he consistently gets more steel than me. Due to work I didnt get out much the last 5 or 6 yr and havent caught one in that long. I am going to get one this year if it kills me. Been out 5 times in last 3 weeks but havent even seen one hooked.
  It started with the pinks getting me into the casting spoons and spinners and when I hooked a coho in september in ft langley area I was "hooked" for certain. He still couldnt be swayed to going and would only fish the vedder. Well, when the coho started to move past and the pinks disappeared I had some great days where I only had 2 or 3 hours to get out and would land 2 and lose 2 or 3. I landed some of the chromest coho Id ever caught in freshwater, with the blue sheen on them. When I told him that the last 10 I had caught were all wild he finally went. Over 4 or 5 trips he hooked 5 or 6 but lost them all. Earlier in the run I had hooked and lost 8 fish in a row, which generally doesnt happen to me. I came across a thread talking about hooks and switched all my spoons and spinners to sickles and I started to land a higher percentage.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:57:19 AM by FrayedKnot »