Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making your own fish oil/scent?  (Read 10370 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Making your own fish oil/scent?
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »

The other day I had a thought...instead of buying fish oil/gel in various scents, could I make my own? I did a little online searching and it seems it is very doable, but there are an overwhelming # of different ways. Some use hand cream, WD-40, and all sorts of interesting/odd ingredients, different types of oil, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has a proven method or internet site/link they would mind sharing.

I bought some frozen squid the other day and plan to just cut off the tentacles and throw away the body. Then I thought...maybe I could puree the bodies, strain it through a cheesecloth or something, add it to some oil, and fish it! I'm just not sure if this would actually work, what type of oil I should add it to, if it would need to be kept in the fridge when not fishing, etc.

If it's going to be a big hassle/mess I think I'd rather just pay $5 for a bottle of Mike's oil ???

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Making your own fish oil/scent?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »

By the time you get all the ingredients, it would cost you $50.00

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »

Haha yeah maybe :D In which case I'd rather not bother. I just thought...grind up some unused sqid or whatever, strain through cheesecloth, add to mineral oil or whatever oil, WA-LA!! Maybe even come up with my own secret killer oil recipe. Not giving up on this yet  ;)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »

How cheap can one get? lol
The Bigger The Better!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »

You never know, you could come up with the magic potion. :o

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »

I thought That was roe?
The Bigger The Better!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »

How cheap can one get? lol

Haha no doubt! ::) I know it's a bit lame, and I DO have many bottles of scent, mostly Mike's oil or gel, but I just thought...maybe I could make a better one? Prrrrrobably a stinky messy waste of time. But still going to look into this more before I abandon the idea :)

zap brannigan

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »

Why not eat the squid mantles?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »

Nothing wrong with trying to make your own scent. You may discover something better than what's on the market today. Never know if you don't try.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »

Why not eat the squid mantles?

Haha I dunno, the same reason I don't eat fish heads ;) Never tried them, they could be good for all I know, they just kind of gross me out and I have no real interest in chowing down on one. I like battered and deep fried calamari, but only have it once in a blue moon in a restaurant. I'll admit it's a waste to toss the mantles which is why I was thinking of making them into oil or something.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »

Nothing wrong with trying to make your own scent. You may discover something better than what's on the market today. Never know if you don't try.

Yeah man that's what I was thinking. Seems that "fresh is best" when it comes to all baits, so it's possible that a freshly made oil will outfish something massproduced with preservatives to extend shelf life, prevent seperation, etc. Maybe I'll toss my jock strap in the brine after a hard jiu jitsu class for a little extra "scent" lol! :o

dobrolub

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »

hm.. hand cream or wd 40 could actually be harmful. I'd think an olive oil would do just as good and is safe.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »

Harmful in what way? I know WD-40 has fish oil as a main ingredient, and hand cream??? I don't want to excite the fish, just want to entice it to bite my hook ;) Haha no really, it's possible some chemical used in the manufacturing process is toxic, but in such a tiny amount in a fish oil recipe I imagine it's environmental impact would be negligable.

Anyway if I decide to make this oil I'm not using handcream, KY, preparation-H, Ny-quil, or anything else funky :o If I find a recipe that looks simple I'll give it a go. If it's going to get carried away and involve the buying of several new ingredients I can't be bothered and will just stick to buying oil in the bottle.

Old Blue

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »

Harmful in what way? I know WD-40 has fish oil as a main ingredient, and hand cream??? I don't want to excite the fish, just want to entice it to bite my hook ;) Haha no really, it's possible some chemical used in the manufacturing process is toxic, but in such a tiny amount in a fish oil recipe I imagine it's environmental impact would be negligable.

Anyway if I decide to make this oil I'm not using handcream, KY, preparation-H, Ny-quil, or anything else funky :o If I find a recipe that looks simple I'll give it a go. If it's going to get carried away and involve the buying of several new ingredients I can't be bothered and will just stick to buying oil in the bottle.

Better check on that again.  I believe they stopped adding fish oil(anchovies) to it in the 90's

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »

Better check on that again.  I believe they stopped adding fish oil(anchovies) to it in the 90's

Checked WD-40's website, according to them you are right. Not that I would have used it anyway, but some of the recipes I read online added it to the s**t mix.

From WD-40's site:

"Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
 Fact:
Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40.  We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish.  Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same.  While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.