Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making your own fish oil/scent?  (Read 10369 times)

cohoaaron

Re: Making your own fish oil/scent?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »

If your that worried about it i guess you should all get rid of your outboards

dobrolub

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 07:20:34 PM »

It'll be a consideration when / if I buy one :).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:21:44 PM by dobrolub »

Ian Forbes

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 09:29:13 PM »

It's always fun to try experiments. That is how we progress. It's not about trying to save money. It's about being creative and learning. It's like the guys who take up fly tying to save money. It's a fallacy. Most of us serious tiers have more money tied up in materials than we will ever tie enough flies with.

If you get serious with your fish scent mixtures you'll get a fish tank and stock it with trout to see how they react to the scent. I know that those brown fish pellets used in hatcheries are all about the scent. Fish of all description in all parts of the globe feed on them.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »

Well said! I love tying flies and jigs but always tell guys who are looking to take it up to "save money" - don't even think about it! The materials are expensive and, as you said, you will soon have more money in materials than you will ever tie flies with. I always try to make reasonable substitutions when I learn a new pattern and I need to go out and pick up a few things, but even still those few things add up quick in price. Still absolutely no regrets I love it, you can make some way cooler patterns that you can buy in stores, and nothing beats catching a beauty fish on a fly you tied yourself, especially if you invented it yourself! :)

As for the fish oil, yeah I think I'll give it a go.Just going over the logistics, what I'm going to put it into, what I'm going to use to squeeze it out of when I'm fishing, etc.

ALBA CHIEFISH

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »

I was thinking of pick up some 'pure extract of anisi' from the baking section for a natural attaractor.

http://www.thefishingoddess.com/ blogs about using it for roe.

Suther

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »

What are your plans once you make it up? Freeze it?

I wouldn't think ground up squid would last very long in the fridge, maybe a week? It would get pretty rancid pretty quick.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »

You could maybe dehydrate or "dry" the squid or whatever turn it into powder then mix might last longer

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 10:15:26 PM »

I tried making my own bait for trout years back and had a lot os success
I got the idea from what is used in the UK for coarse fishing
i used flour, water, shredded cheese and garlic powder--rolled into small balls and dropped into hot water--- it work a treat

as for the oils just use cooking oil mixed with garlic, Anise, or Anchovy paste, you only need a few drops on your lure, wool, jig etc

Speyhead

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:21 AM »

Ok this is the famous "Bilge Water" story as I recall hearing it (first hand) straight from the lips of the late Charlie White himself ...I heard it while attending one of his famous Salmon fishing seminars at the old Elks Hall in Kelowna.

He claimed that one day he found an old lure laying in bilge water on his boat, he wiped it off with a rag then fished it and to his surprise caught salmon with it,  then over time and with repeated use he came to realize that this contaminated lure was actually out fishing all others in his arsenal .  He decided to send the lure for chemical analysis and had them run tests to scientifically establish what the mysterious attractant might be that would repeatedly bring the fish in...

Short answer......The chemical they found on the lure in any significant amounts was Hydrocarbon which if I am correct is a major by product of petroleum or combusted petroleum ?

With this knowledge in hand Charlie began manufacturing his own  "Bilge water" and indeed went on to sell buckets of the stuff in small black squirt bottles at his seminars.....I was to become hooked on it too as being thoroughly convinced I bought two bottles myself....Lol :)

I'm no Chemistry major but .....This may well be the source of the notion that WD works as I believe it too contains Hydrocarbons

Great Character........RIP Charlie.

PS.....On the subject of scent / attractents....... If my own 40 yr Fish keeping (Koi) observations are anything to go by, I can offer this thought....If you want to see a rolling, boiling, mass of Japanese Koi just introduce no more than  two small drops of KRILL OIL into my ponds waterfall, then prepare for mayhem when it hits the main pond.... LOL

Fish do indeed respond to scent, and from what I've witnessed with my own fish, more than we might imagine.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:32:55 PM by Speyhead »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 09:15:33 PM »

Interesting tips guys and thanks to all that responded :)

No time yet but when I do have time my plan is to do the following:

Add some mineral oil to the blender (will be using the Vitamix when the misses is NOT home lol!)
Add the stinky slimey squid bodies to the oil. Puree.
Add to crocpot and slow cook for a day or so. Really let the stink get into the oil!
Strain sludge through cheese cloth and repeat until satisfied with result. Funnel into empty bottle from Mike's fish oil. Put in fridge.
Wash blender well to remove all crime scene evidence ::)

I'll post a review of this after I've made it and fished with it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »

Looking forward to your report

TNAngler

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »

I have sprayed lures with wd40.  Didn't seem to make a huge difference but who knows.

Why don't you take one of those mostly empty bottles, puree up some of your squid and add it to the bottle and see how that does?  I know that doesn't keep you from having to buy it in the first place but if you improve the performance is it really a loss?