Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead line  (Read 12923 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead line
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »

I've been running Berkley Pro Spec the last little while and have been extremely impressed with it. I won't be going back to maxima any time soon.
Actions speak louder than words.

capman

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

Johnny Canuck, what LB test and what color is the Seagaur Senshi you got for your pin?

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »

#20 Dacron plus #15 P-Line CXX mono

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »

12# and 15# big game never did me wrong....used some platypus low-stretch in pink for a couple of seasons; liked it....testing out berkley trans-optic in 15# this winter for steel.....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:06:54 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Daguru

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »

Just tried the trans optic, for some reason it feels like it's coated with some kind of sticky stuff. It didn't feel too good at first but it got better with a few casts

gmachine19

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »

20# chameleon for me
You should've been here yesterday!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »

12 pd Maxima Ultra green on my level winds for 30 yrs. 8 to 10 pd Seagur fluoro carbon for leader.

losos

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »

What size of a leader you guys are using #4 or 6?

CoastRider

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »

What size of a leader you guys are using #4 or 6?

8-15lb fluoro for me, no need to go super small for steel! Unless you are fishing super low clear water, but even then, i find 8lb does the trick

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »

Siglon FF #20 test in hi vis yellow. It is a full floating mono line specifically made for float fishing, I just nail knot on a 8' section of Seaguar #15 Flouro. I have been using it for a few years now and would never go back to spooling up with any type of Maxima.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »

Sufix. It is way better than Maxima

x2

the suffix siege is better than the maxima chameleon...very smooth casting with the same strength, but less issues with abrasion.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »

Probably a bonehead question...but what is the "difference" between Maxima UG and Chamelon? For example is one more abrasion resistant than the other, etc. I have seen many guys with Chamelon on their pins but never on a level wind, yet a lot of guys spool up with UG on their level winds. What's the deal?! Also UG is used a lot for leaders, but I've never heard of Chamelon used for leaders...is it too visible for such purposes?

Jonny Cannuck: I was in Cabela's Tulalip the other day and saw the Seaguar Senshi you were talking about. I swear I saw this line in Wholesale in Langley, but I could be mistaken. What do you like better about it compared to UG?

Personally after trying out Pline CXX-Xtra strong this year I'll be sticking with it as a mainline over UG. UG seemed to deteroriate faster and I found I was always cutting off 5-10 feet and retying after a day on the river. With the CXX much better the spool on my Currado 301E lasted the whole summer/fall with no issues. I probably didn't have to replace it for steelheading but I did just for a little extra confidence in my gear.

I'm interested to hear more about this Senshi and Suffix line. BTW, what Suffix line is this? I saw some Suffix mono at Walmart the other day, clear stuff, in a red box, can't remember the name though :o

EDIT: Ahhhh..just saw above "Suffix Seige."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:01:56 PM by Spawn Sack »

fisherforever

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »

Here's a site with lots of info on different manufacturers lines. http://www.tackletour.com/menulines.html

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »

The seagar and MG are mono lines correct? Anyone have thought of fluro Carbon in comparison.

Yes both are mono. Flourocarbon, in my opinion, is not a sensible mainline as it is much more expensive than mono, and it's lesser visibility characteristics are only really useful for leaders. Years ago, not knowing better, I spooled up one of my baitcastes with flourocarbon for about $50. I didn't find it offered any benifets over mono mainline and it cost about 5 times as much. Some flouro companies claim their flouro is much more abrasion resistant that mono, but from my experience this is unfounded. In super clear water I sometimes use flouro leader for trout, coho, etc, but I think it's more of a confidence boost than anything else. A few buddies of mine fish only mono leaders and do as well or better than guys using flouro.

Hambone

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »

I experimented using 50# sufix 832 on my silex last year. I really liked it! My landing percentage went down, so I need to experiment with a bit of a shock absorber tag mono or something. Highly recommend the line though..