Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead line  (Read 12922 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead line
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »

the stuff at Walmart in the clear red box is Suffix Elite. Suffix Siege is their greenish or multi coloured line I believe. I had to spool up with Suffix Siege back when it was a new product and only because the shop had no UG in stock. First day of usage I hated it and promptly took it off !! 

I normally always use #15 UG on my reels however after the crappy performance I got this fall with the #15 I had put on at A&N, I too am thinking of putting on something different next season (my levelwind wont see action now until the fall again)

I will be considering that Hi-Vis yellow Siglon, I love doing long drifts or far away casts into tight spots so having something I can see is great. Seaguar is also on the list. Perhaps my next trip into the US I'll pick one or both of these lines up.

anyone use that Suffix Elite as leader material ??

I almost bought it to use for swinging flies (12lb) because its a great price for the amount you get but I wasn't sure so just grabbed 12lb UG instead

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:22:51 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

zap brannigan

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

i use to run pink siglon, stuff is garbage no restistance to abrasion at all the first 30 feet of it sounded like sandpaper coming through my guides after 2 days of fishing, would cut the 30 feet off and with a day or 2 the same thing would happen.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »

the stuff at Walmart in the clear red box is Suffix Elite. Suffix Siege is their greenish or multi coloured line I believe. I had to spool up with Suffix Siege back when it was a new product and only because the shop had no UG in stock. First day of usage I hated it and promptly took it off !! 

I normally always use #15 UG on my reels however after the crappy performance I got this fall with the #15 I had put on at A&N, I too am thinking of putting on something different next season (my levelwind wont see action now until the fall again)

I will be considering that Hi-Vis yellow Siglon, I love doing long drifts or far away casts into tight spots so having something I can see is great. Seaguar is also on the list. Perhaps my next trip into the US I'll pick one or both of these lines up.

anyone use that Suffix Elite as leader material ??

I almost bought it to use for swinging flies (12lb) because its a great price for the amount you get but I wasn't sure so just grabbed 12lb UG instead

Yeah it was the Suffix Elite at Walmart :) Down the road if I may try out some of the lines reccomended on this thread: Seaguar Senshi, Berkley Prospec and Suffix Seige.

Have you ever tried Pline CXX-Xtra strong for mainline? I bought it after several guys on this site reccomended it. Cheap from Basspro and often they have free shipping any amount promos. About 1/2 the price as UG and after fishing it all salmon season I find it just as good for low memory, castability, etc. IMO it is more durable than UG and I found myself cutting off the line before the swivel less often.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »

this is the only P-line I have ever used and it was total garbage. I bought it in 12lb for swinging flies but it was so weak it broke on anything with barely any force. Made me feel I was fishing 4lb  >:(

http://p-line.com/line/fluorocarbon-coated/floroclear
Check out our new blog

kalex60

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »

I really like sufex elite quite strong thinner thank maxima cheaper and dosent seem to get the ruff dusty felling maxima can get I was using 12 pound for springs and landing them quick without problem

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »

this is the only P-line I have ever used and it was total garbage. I bought it in 12lb for swinging flies but it was so weak it broke on anything with barely any force. Made me feel I was fishing 4lb  >:(

http://p-line.com/line/fluorocarbon-coated/floroclear

If you do a search for "best 17lb mono mainline" on this site you can find the thread I started back in the summer or so of this year. If you read through the comments you'll see several guys reccomended the CXX-Xra Strong for mainline. I ordered a 600yrd spool from Basspro as they had a free shipping any amount promo at the time, but WSS and A&N etc carry it too. I am really impressed with the 17lb and decided to order another spool of 20lb which I use on my bigger baitcaster which I use the odd time targeting springs in faster water.

Like kalex60 commented about the Suffix Elite (which I've never tried) the CXX-Xtra strong doesn't seem to get the rough dusty feel that Maxima seems to get quickly. I LOVE fresh UG, which is why I still use it primarily for leaders, but I was finding for mainline is deteroriated too fast and I was cutting it back a lot, sometimes in the middle of day's fishing. With the CXX I found this much less of an issue and it seems to "perform" as well as the UG in other areas (memory, etc).

I would reccomend it 100%. Too stiff though to use on a spinning reel IMO.

I like to try out new stuff so although I like this line a lot when I'm out of it I think I'll try the Berkley Prospec, Seaguar Senshi, or Suffix Seige. A lot of guys seem to like all 3 a lot. I love the UG for leaders and it never let's me down! Too much confidence in it to change. Also like Berkley XT in green for leaders it's awesome too :) When fishing for pinks, chum etc I tend to go through a lot of leader line so I use the XT as it's quite cheap compared to UG.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:13:43 PM by Spawn Sack »

norton

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »

I use 12 lb ultra green for mainline , 8 to 10 lb for leader, I've landed steelhead over 20 lbs on it.

Hambone

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 05:31:30 AM »

Anyone else using braid as their centerpin mainline?

kalex60

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »

Braid tends too put more stress on reels many people don't want to accidentally damage there expensive centerpins

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »

For A pin i have been using berkely armor coat its awsome i really really like it much better than maxima i am fishing 15 pound casts very nice on my pin

bluenoser

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »

I tried 13.5 lb Sunline hi vis floating mono this fall as a test and really liked it. That was on my Abu bait caster not a CP but I think it would be even better on a CP.

http://www.sunlineamerica.com/siglon-f-monofilament-line/

BN

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »

Anyone else using braid as their centerpin mainline?

I use Power Pro for mainline on my Silex. Then a 15 or 20 lb fluorocarbon where the float will slide, and 12 lb Sunline or 15 lb Seaguard both fluorocarbon as leader. Being older now with a weaker hook set, if I cast across the river to the other side, braided mainline gives me a better hook set for the distance. Just play the steelhead gentler and softer to put less stress on the line and the cp. That is the beauty of playing a fish with cp anyway.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:11:08 PM by liketofish »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 12:02:56 PM »

Apologies for asking the same questions as a while ago in this thread, but can anyone tell me what the diff is between Maxima UG and Chamelon? I've never tried the Chamelon and am not sure if it's more suited for c/p mainline, etc.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »

colour - UG is that clearish green colour, Chameleon is a dark burgundy

Chameleon is slightly stiffer and apparently more abrasion resistant than UG. myself I hated the Chameleon when I tried it on my reel.

thickness is the same at the same poundage

If your ever looking for a limp line then try out the Maxima Perfection. Its designed for spinning reels, I have used it and liked it a lot and bonus its clear. I have thought about using it for leaders
Check out our new blog

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »

Thanks HOOK. I use UG a lot for leaders and like it, although I've gotten away from is as mainline on my baitcasters as it's pricey compared to other monos and there seems to be better mainlines out there now. I'm looking forward to trying others that were reccomended on this thread, but for now I'm sticking to the CXX-Xtra strong and really like it.

Did you try the Chamelon on a centrepin or baitcaster? I don't own a centrepin set up (yet!) but am considering giving the Chamelon a shot on a baitcaster for kicks.

Never ehard of the Maxima Perfection. The Berkley XL on my spinning reel is getting a bit old and should probably be changed. I'll take a look at this line thanks :)