Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nail Polish Okay for Painting Spoons?  (Read 12618 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Nail Polish Okay for Painting Spoons?
« on: November 25, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »

Thinking of raiding the girlfriends cosmetics but have also seen on this site that people have used paints.

Seems silly to buy a bunch of paint for just a small use, but also don't want to waste my time if the nail polish falls off too easily.

Anyone with experience painting spoons? Your feedback would be much appreciated.

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Nail Polish Okay for Painting Spoons?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »

I've tried it and it does stay on. However, getting it to look like the color when it's applied to nails is not easy.  I find lure tape way easier and faster to use than anything else.  All the tackle stores have them and you can get some great on-line deals as well.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »

It does go on well and lasts, in my experience.
I have added pink polish to the reverse of spoons like a Gibbs K3 wobbler with good effect.
Very cheap at the dollar store and lots of sparkley colors lol.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »

I've had no issues repainting jig heads, the reverse side of spoons, float tops, etc. I would get some decent stuff from Shoppers or wherever...the dollar store stuff doesn't seem as good. I use a clear coat on top of the polish like "Hard as nails" to make it extra durable. I've never used lure tape but know guys who do and like it.

Suther

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »

I've had no issues repainting jig heads, the reverse side of spoons, float tops, etc. I would get some decent stuff from Shoppers or wherever...the dollar store stuff doesn't seem as good. I use a clear coat on top of the polish like "Hard as nails" to make it extra durable. I've never used lure tape but know guys who do and like it.

If you are using something like Hard As Nails to clear-coat it after, then I would recommend dollar store stuff as long as you can find it in a color you like. No point in using $5-a-bottle polish for a better quality paint if you are just going to clearcoat anyways.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »

To each their own...but I notice the dollar store stuff doesn't paint on as well, seems to be goopy even if I shake the crap out of the bottle. Also the good stuff seems to dry a lot faster. The dollar store stuff is sufficent though.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:25:35 PM by Spawn Sack »

brandooner

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »

I have a few friends that use it for lure and havent had any issue, chips easier than actual paint, but other than that it seems to do the trick.
The Fishin' Musician!

CoastRider

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »

It definitely stays on well and is super easy to touch up, but I am always worried about the scent that it leaves on the spoon. Therefore, i prefer lure tape as well. Lure tape allows you to change the colour/design of the spoon on the water without having to re-tie as long as you have a couple of strips of different colours and a pair of scissors

Fishawn

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »

Anybody know where to get a good deal on lure tape? (i.e. a craft store)

Fishing tackle is so specialized, and therefore expensive. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »

Try online. Netcraft.com has pretty good prices.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »

Try online. Netcraft.com has pretty good prices.
Netcraft.com is not a craft store.

I bought some lure tape from luremaking.com and they are a little bit cheaper than tackle stores.

Suther

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »

It definitely stays on well and is super easy to touch up, but I am always worried about the scent that it leaves on the spoon. Therefore, i prefer lure tape as well. Lure tape allows you to change the colour/design of the spoon on the water without having to re-tie as long as you have a couple of strips of different colours and a pair of scissors

With that mindset, wouldn't you worry about scent from the glue on the tape? Whats the tape made of? Dyed or printed something-or-other? That might have scent too? Every time you touch the lure, you're putting scent on it too! Scent is a nasty mistress...

Online is probably the best option. Its dirt cheap on some sites. I have never shopped for it myself, so I cant say how it compares to stores, but what I've seen online certainly seems damn cheap to me.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »

I think by the time the polish dries rock hard there is no smell. I have a few spoons I took all the original paint off and repainted and had no issues catching fish with them. If you're worried about scent buy some Patzuke "smelly jelly" I think it's called. Comes in a tin like shoe polish. Rub a bit of that paste on your spoon and it'll smell like heaven to the fish. Personally I tried the scent thing on my spoons and don't think it makes a damn bit of difference. In murky water if they're having trouble finding it...maybe. IMO if a fish is irritated by a spoon and decides to smash it, they're going to smash it regardless of what scents may be lingering on it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »

A dozen pinks didn't mind the smell of the nail polish

koifish

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »

I like glitter and steamers lol