Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nail Polish Okay for Painting Spoons?  (Read 12619 times)

kanuckle head

Re: Nail Polish Okay for Painting Spoons?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »

The nail polish holds up well on my home made spinners & if it dose chip, it takes no time in touch ups
Love the clear glitter top coat

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »

In my experience, only nail polish is not enough, not even close! After using nail polish, you've to cover the lure by crystal clear paint and polyurethane.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 12:40:58 PM »

I find that gold glitter or silver glitter over top of a base colour works really well. And I always use a clear nail polish with built in hardener to finish off with.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

CoastRider

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »

With that mindset, wouldn't you worry about scent from the glue on the tape? Whats the tape made of? Dyed or printed something-or-other? That might have scent too? Every time you touch the lure, you're putting scent on it too! Scent is a nasty mistress...

Obviously you are going to have scent either way, but in my opinion, lure tape is the lesser of two evils and easier to change on the water

Ambassador

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »

A dozen pinks didn't mind the smell of the nail polish
x2

I repainted a bunch of Gibbs crocs with glitter nail polish and Hard as Nails when the sticker fell off (as they always do). My girlfriend was doing really good with them and landed a bunch of pinks. Zero smell once the polish dries.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »

x2

I repainted a bunch of Gibbs crocs with glitter nail polish and Hard as Nails when the sticker fell off (as they always do). My girlfriend was doing really good with them and landed a bunch of pinks. Zero smell once the polish dries.
Hmmm...you got me thinking. I apply a bit of prism tape to all my little cutthroat spoons (which does fall off at some point) So maybe some some slivery, glittery polish may be almost as good. Might look into that. As well, silvery glittery polish may be an option to "freshen up" some spoons that have gotten tarnished over the years and can't be polished to their original sheen. Soemthing to look into before the beach season starts.         

brandooner

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »

I dont think the smell is much of a problem. A friend and I were fishing a beach on the fraser for pinks this year and he tossed a freshly painted (w/nail polish) pink colorado out there and almost right away a spring came along and hammered it!
The Fishin' Musician!

Ian Forbes

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »

Who knows how smell really affects a lure. Some smells are a definite turn off and others attract fish. The fish here in Thailand are VERY scent conscious. That said however, I've painted thousand of lures with cheap nail polish from the Dollar Store and they all work. Just to make sure, though, I dip the lures in fish oil scent after the lacquer is dry and hard. Then I just wipe it clean and put the lure away.