Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing stores ruining small systems.  (Read 9884 times)

Re: Fishing stores ruining small systems.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »

TV nu
What an arrogant post. From what I gather you cant compete with the pressure of other anglers?

And to refuse buisness from a local shop for giving out places to go fishing to promote buisness. How would you like it if those generous buisness's decided to be as arrogant and selfish and stop donating gear to fundraisers and other events?

Get off your high horse. No place is as secret as you think it is. How do you distinguish a " lower quality angler " from yourself?

Now that is an arrogant post what he is talking about is small systems that can't support the pressure that they are getting. Slowly these small systems are being destroyed by "lower quality" anglers leaving garbage, snaging fish, killing over quota and out of season fish. It has nothing to do with competition from other anglers it's about protecting the few special places left so that our kids can expirence that same things we did at s kid's in our small local streams.Take off your blinders and look at the big picture.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »

I think the point about the hatchery system is that they can take the pressure compared to the wild systems.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »

I think the point about the hatchery system is that they can take the pressure compared to the wild systems.

BINGO! Hatchery systems can handle more pressure than wild systems. TheFishingLad must be on a level far above everyone here like others have pointed out as he can't even say if it is a hatchery system or not. My guess would be that it is a hatchery system (as most are in the LML) however he won't say that because he already knows what would come next. A tackle shop mentioning systems in shop is not a big deal although some discretion should be used, mentioning them online in reports is another thing (smaller systems). Most shops will not talk about wild systems in shop unless it is with a person they know well. Fairly rare to see them reported about online in reports by shops, although it does happen to certain systems.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

salmonrook

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »

Some shops promote systems to increase business,and mention what tackle is working well to increase sales.Everbody has to make a living ,but at the same time with power comes great responsibility.In this case  the power is knowledge.

wizard

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »

It is frusterating.  I have a little spot on the Fraser that has gone from a few regulars 5 years ago to a quite popular fishing spot with many people regularly there.  One fellow there who dragged a wild 20 feet up the bank and who thought the limit was 4 cohos told me Army and Navy told him to go there...I immediately told him dragging wilds onto the shore like that is wrong and unnecessary, he has since stopped. but anyways the most frusterating aspect of spots becoming more popular is flat out the amount of GARBAGE left behind.  ridiculous amounts of garbage left all over the place, no matter where it is the more people the more garbage.  Now I have to inform people how to treat the fish, inform people about the regs and clean up mass amounts of garbage left behind by them.  At times it is more frusterating witnessing this then it is enjoyable. But I do get a sense of accomplishment by hopefully educating those who need educating. Also to a less serious degree most everyone there is now using the same lure I've used so most local stores are now sold out! :'(

I guess all one can do is try to educate those who need it...and be wary of who you're telling spots and the like to, often by telling one wrong person, you're telling a multitude of people who inevadibely will bring the beeking and the garbage and so on...it is better to keep a spot to yourself then to go bragging, nothing good can come.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »

Very well said.
See, some people understand lol.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »

--I thought that was the point of going to a local tackle shop rather than Canadian Tire.
--The shop offers information and advice it is part of the service expected... they should know their customers and advise them appropriately.

Suther

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »

--I thought that was the point of going to a local tackle shop rather than Canadian Tire.
--The shop offers information and advice it is part of the service expected... they should know their customers and advise them appropriately.

Exactly. If not for info,  Why would I go pay $9 for a lure when  CT sells it for 5.50? Knowledge is a key part of the tackle shop experience. It's always a good place to start in an unfamiliar area.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »

BINGO! Hatchery systems can handle more pressure than wild systems. TheFishingLad must be on a level far above everyone here like others have pointed out as he can't even say if it is a hatchery system or not. My guess would be that it is a hatchery system (as most are in the LML) however he won't say that because he already knows what would come next. A tackle shop mentioning systems in shop is not a big deal although some discretion should be used, mentioning them online in reports is another thing (smaller systems). Most shops will not talk about wild systems in shop unless it is with a person they know well. Fairly rare to see them reported about online in reports by shops, although it does happen to certain systems.

Waders leaked, phone got destroyed, new dress uniform and boots needing prep for Remembrance Day, all valid reasons for my absence. As you said most systems here are hatchery.  Please see '7119's comment above for details and how to fish as a Borg.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »

when i first started fishing as a young lad, there was no internet to tell me where or how to fish...everything was word of mouth and when i reached the age where i was required to have a fishing license i learned techniques and honed my skills by doing research and from trial and error....the difference was when licenses were issued, they also included the booklet of regulations and the fishing synopsis. Nowadays, people expect and feel entitled to go out and catch fish without taking the time to really learn anything on their own.

If anything, I criticize tackle shops for creating hype, but to say they're ruining small systems is ridiculous.  I would think the forums are more likely to divulge damning information than the shops themselves.

Google didn't help either.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:56:34 AM by blaydRnr »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »

It is frusterating.  I have a little spot on the Fraser that has gone from a few regulars 5 years ago to a quite popular fishing spot with many people regularly there.  One fellow there who dragged a wild 20 feet up the bank and who thought the limit was 4 cohos told me Army and Navy told him to go there...I immediately told him dragging wilds onto the shore like that is wrong and unnecessary, he has since stopped. but anyways the most frusterating aspect of spots becoming more popular is flat out the amount of GARBAGE left behind.  ridiculous amounts of garbage left all over the place, no matter where it is the more people the more garbage.  Now I have to inform people how to treat the fish, inform people about the regs and clean up mass amounts of garbage left behind by them.  At times it is more frusterating witnessing this then it is enjoyable. But I do get a sense of accomplishment by hopefully educating those who need educating. Also to a less serious degree most everyone there is now using the same lure I've used so most local stores are now sold out! :'(

I guess all one can do is try to educate those who need it...and be wary of who you're telling spots and the like to, often by telling one wrong person, you're telling a multitude of people who inevadibely will bring the beeking and the garbage and so on...it is better to keep a spot to yourself then to go bragging, nothing good can come.
Try to organize a few friends and go in after the fishing season and do a cleanup, it does help and at least you get the garbage off the reparian zone to prevent it being washed down in the freshets. I know it is frustrating to have to do this but we have to try to be proactive. We at the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society have been doing this since 2002 and our last cleanup we had 300 people take part in the pouring rain removing 4 tonnes and many were young people so we think we are educating the next generation to respect our rivers and the environment

wizard

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »

Try to organize a few friends and go in after the fishing season and do a cleanup, it does help and at least you get the garbage off the reparian zone to prevent it being washed down in the freshets. I know it is frustrating to have to do this but we have to try to be proactive. We at the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society have been doing this since 2002 and our last cleanup we had 300 people take part in the pouring rain removing 4 tonnes and many were young people so we think we are educating the next generation to respect our rivers and the environment

Me and my bro do frequent garbage sweeps on our bars during and after fishing season.  we find quite a good selection of weights, bar rigs and lures too.  I'd challenge everyone who, to  instead of walking over, wherever they go fishing next pick up the garbage on their way out or on down time.  It doesn't take long and makes a world of difference. 
good for you guys for removing that many tonnes of garbage off one river, it's unfortunate but I wouldn't want to imagine what it would look like without those cleanups.  I'll be at the next one for sure.
tight lines

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 09:35:16 AM »

Me and my bro do frequent garbage sweeps on our bars during and after fishing season.  we find quite a good selection of weights, bar rigs and lures too.  I'd challenge everyone who, to  instead of walking over, wherever they go fishing next pick up the garbage on their way out or on down time.  It doesn't take long and makes a world of difference. 
good for you guys for removing that many tonnes of garbage off one river, it's unfortunate but I wouldn't want to imagine what it would look like without those cleanups.  I'll be at the next one for sure.
tight lines
Excellent post, good nwork too and we look forward to seeing you at our first 2014 cleanup in April, date decided in January. We are getting close to 90 tonnes removed since 2002. :o

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »

As to sounding like a borg, don't get it lol. I wrote that post quickly and angerly.  I grew up fishing a small stream in the LM and in my 25 yes of fishing that stream I have seen the damage the local tackle shop and the Internet has done to it by telling people that don't respect the resource the where and how to about that system. It's frustrating when you see someone new on the river and when you ask how they found the place they the local tackle shop. It has gone from a handfull of regulars to people in every run. I've seen wild coho and steelhead gutted for there roe and left in the bushes to many times.
We all hold a great power and responsibility to protect certain info. Somethings in life have to be earned.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »

Every time I go fishing, I bring a garbage back with me. It stays in my vest, and when I'm done and the rod is packed up, I pull out the garbage back, fill it up with garbage, and throw it in my truck and head home. I STRONGLY suggest everyone do that too, we live in a beautiful province with world class fishing, and we need to keep it that way. Let the 90% of responsible anglers and good people, make up for the others who aren't.