Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing stores ruining small systems.  (Read 9883 times)

TheFishingLad

Fishing stores ruining small systems.
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »

So I was at a local fishing store buying items to make spinners when the owner was telling a customer that a local system was "On fire!" And pointed out a few locations where people have been producing. Over the last 3 weeks it went from me and someone else there to nearly a dozen people. I try to explain to people don't tell your friends but sadly the quality of fisherman there had gone downhill.

Now I didn't buy anything when I heard that, nor will I.

Has anye else over heard similar things?

RyanB

Re: Fishing stores ruining small systems.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »

I've overheard the opposite: sales staff sending newbies to overfished areas, especially for crab trapping.  Most of these areas have been strip-mined of marine life.  I keep my mouth shut because I don't want my semi-secret spots destroyed.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »

Was it a hatchery system?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »

Isolated incident then I hope

hotrod

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »

Yeah! I have had that experience too! It is not an isolated incident. Tackle stores are a business! If they can direct people accordingly then chances are good they will return for either goods or good fishing reports! The worst is the internet fishing reports that go out to thousands! There goes every bodies secret spots!! I had many good spots that I would not see a soul all day! That was ten years ago and today there are more guys from all over in all the spots! It seems a lot of fisherman are taking a lot of shortcuts and not putting in the quality time it take to figure out some good spots on there own>

Mind you! Not all tackle stores are giving it all away but I tend to stay away from the ones who I know will for the almighty dollar!!

hotrod

koifish

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »

some fishing stores just say fishing is excellent there oh and there lots of fish
but really they want you to come and buy supplies from them so they make buisness

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »

Its a problem.
Last winter was the same thing, and this fall too.
I can guess where you mean because it went from quiet to riot, but I didnt suspect the stores to be that loud about it. Maybe the people who run the shop should talk about where he fishes lol.

dnibbles

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »

Was it a hatchery system?

Carich980

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:06:24 PM »

So I was at a local fishing store buying items to make spinners when the owner was telling a customer that a local system was "On fire!" And pointed out a few locations where people have been producing. Over the last 3 weeks it went from me and someone else there to nearly a dozen people. I try to explain to people don't tell your friends but sadly the quality of fisherman there had gone downhill.

Now I didn't buy anything when I heard that, nor will I.

Has anye else over heard similar things?

What an arrogant post. From what I gather you cant compete with the pressure of other anglers?

And to refuse buisness from a local shop for giving out places to go fishing to promote buisness. How would you like it if those generous buisness's decided to be as arrogant and selfish and stop donating gear to fundraisers and other events?

Get off your high horse. No place is as secret as you think it is. How do you distinguish a " lower quality angler " from yourself?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »

What an arrogant post. From what I gather you cant compete with the pressure of other anglers?

And to refuse buisness from a local shop for giving out places to go fishing to promote buisness. How would you like it if those generous buisness's decided to be as arrogant and selfish and stop donating gear to fundraisers and other events?

Get off your high horse. No place is as secret as you think it is. How do you distinguish a " lower quality angler " from yourself?

Easy - anyone else on the run I'm fishing.  ;D
http://

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »

I asked a few days ago and it still hasn't been answered. Was it a hatchery system? It was asked by a second member as well, simple yes or no answer would suffice.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »

This crying goes on year after year! A ma and pa operation trying to make a living! I am happy for them trying to make a living and good on them for giving info and also explaining the regulations on these systems. Now if only we all would follow the regs, example bonking wild steelhead. Sure is funny how the past always bites you in the arse! No respect for that! Absolutely NONE! Especially for the lame reason behind it!!!!!! And I mean LAME!

The Ghost
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »

I asked a few days ago and it still hasn't been answered. Was it a hatchery system? It was asked by a second member as well, simple yes or no answer would suffice.

Rob Ford School of Direct Answers graduate!
http://

tburns

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »

I had a fishing store tell me a great place.  As a result I keep going back to them to buy my flies, replace line and to chat.  Further more, I've had unforgettable times on the river catching salmon with one of my best friends. I've done more exploring from there and found more spots. 

In short I think you just need to stop being bitter and become more compassionate for your fellow fisherman.  One of the best aspects of this site and fishing in general is the sense of community.  Hope I don't see you on the river.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 01:12:38 AM »

What does it matter if its a hatchery system or not? Virtually every flow in the LML is a "hatchery system"... Only difference is numbers of fish and size of hatchery. Some are a multimillion dollar operation, while others are run by volunteers out of a shack in the woods...