Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spinner vs spoon  (Read 15838 times)

jacklam999

spinner vs spoon
« on: October 31, 2013, 02:53:50 PM »

What is your favourite lures? I found i catch more fish on a spinner than spoon, what are your opinion. And what are the favourite colour for catching chum and coho in the lower fraser? :)

MoeJKU

Re: spinner vs spoon
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

spin n glo green and silver, purple and silver(i usually paint this one), spotted ones in pink, green, or orange, and blue and orange. hole punch the wings to add some more motion. and make little holes in the top to absorb scent. (when applicable). never used spoons or spinners i have lots though.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »

Gibbs koho spoon and  blue fox spinners. I alternate, sometimes fish are looking for somthing faster so I chuck spoons. Slower retrieve for spinner. When they are off the bite try twitching a blue black 3/8oz jig.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:32:05 AM by canso »

sugartooth

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »

I've caught coho on both spoons and spinners this year. I find that coho are more likely to bite a spinner more than spoons. Perhaps because I've used spinners more. 
My new favorite are the trophy tackle casting spinners and spoons. The 50/50 silver and gold spoon got me into several coho on my last outing on the vedder.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »

I've caught more species of fish on spinners than any other lures I've used. Spinners are better because they emit more sounds and vibrations.

Chuck

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »

Moe,
How do you use the spin-n-glos?

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »

I've caught way, way more summer-run steelhead on a spinner than a spoon. But, I've caught more big Chinook on a spoon. Spinners are probably the most deadly lure there is and just a spinning blade on the line will attract more fish than most other lures. A lot depends on the water depth and the current speed. But, why restrict yourself? Jigs in all their various forms are deadly as well. The beauty of spinners is you can make them yourself for half the price of bought lures.

A tiny thumbnail spinner on your leader ahead of a bucktail fly will improve its results by at least 70%. I've got many tests to prove that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:20:07 PM by Ian Forbes »

banx

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:52:02 AM »

I have to agree with most of what's been said.  Had more fish on spinners than spoons.... except chinook.

definitely like spinners in slower or still water as opposed to spoons.

colorado blades are probably my favourite and my 'go to' lure when hitting new water.  you can literally catch every species of salmon and trout on a colorado blade.  including steelhead.

Pin-nook

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 07:42:43 AM »

It all depends, I've had a more success with a spinner for sure but that's because I use a spinner more but growing up in the Bulkley Valley in the 80s spoons were used more for sweeping big runs(like bottom bouncing a spoon) and I can recall 1 day I could do no wrong that literally every cast you made you hit a coho at the end of the swing.

I think its all about confidence in what you are using and also how you use it and most only know the cast and retrieve method so it would be hard to argue which one is more effective. I seen guys during steelhead season go through a run behind a bunch of guys floating different kinds of bait not touching a fish and yet the spoon guy managed 4 hits with 3 landed.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »

It all depends, I've had a more success with a spinner for sure but that's because I use a spinner more but growing up in the Bulkley Valley in the 80s spoons were used more for sweeping big runs(like bottom bouncing a spoon) and I can recall 1 day I could do no wrong that literally every cast you made you hit a coho at the end of the swing.

I think its all about confidence in what you are using and also how you use it and most only know the cast and retrieve method so it would be hard to argue which one is more effective. I seen guys during steelhead season go through a run behind a bunch of guys floating different kinds of bait not touching a fish and yet the spoon guy managed 4 hits with 3 landed.

There are valid reasons for what you just wrote. The Skeena rivers are fast and deep and a spoon sinks quicker to the salmon and steelhead's level. Also, Skeena system rivers are mostly summer-run fish and they are far more aggressive towards lures and flies. That is why that area is a mecca for fly anglers. It is later in the winter that mature steelhead start choosing bait in preference to lures.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »

Spinning for coho using light tackle is one of my favourite methods to target summer run cohos. In that case I carry both spoons and in-line spinners and have caught many using both methods. Which method is more effective really depends on the type of water being fished as they are equally very effective tools. When I am float fishing, I always carry a few Colorado spinners as cohos also love hitting these under right circumstances. Also in beach fishing for coho, both spinners and spoons are very effective. However, details are very important in this case.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 10:24:57 AM »

I've been fishing with spinners and spoons the last couple weeks after work, when I don't have time to use the drift rod. Just in my personal experiences this season, I'm having way more action with my spoons than spinners. Blue and silver crocs seem to be working great lately for me, as I've hooked tons of coho this season on them, and only fishing for an hour after work. Rob your piggy bank, hit the tackle store, pick up both and try them. You will see which you like to use better, and it also depends on conditions, water flow, etc! Get out there and just try, it's the best method to find out!  ;)

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »

For those of you fishing spinners, do you find spinning without the float produces better than with the float? I often think fish will get spooked by the float especially in low clear water. If you fish with the float, do you find dead drift better than slowly reeling in or vice  versa? I have seen guys at the lower canal with a deep float setup. They cast across the river and they keep reeling in slowly so the float points back to them and the spinner sweep through the river in an arc. They fish it like searching the river and making a few steps after each cast. I have done similar thing during steelhead season to search out a large run but interesting to see the same done for coho.

Kever

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »

Spoons all the way for me. Not sure why but I catch more and bigger fish on them.

sumasriver

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »

Some general rules that work for me.

High flow  - use spoon or float spinner
Low flow  - spinner

High Vis  - use spinner
Low Vis  - use spoon

These are only general rules and i tend to go back and forth but the rules would be what i would start with.