Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spinner vs spoon  (Read 15837 times)

fishbandit66

Re: spinner vs spoon
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »

I find I can cast spoons much further and more accurately. Sometimes this means more fish on the beach, sometimes it doesn't  ;D

fisherforever

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »

Targeting coho, I use spoons 90 percent of the time and for the other 10 I use Colorados. I've had good luck for chum using hammered brass Colorados but mainly use jigs I tie myself.

DC1980

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »

When float fishing with a spinner, Is is better to use weighted spinners or just a few beads and a blade?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »

Depends what you are fishing for, and what the water is like, AND what river it is.

Coho I generally do better with spinners under all conditions. I can do equally as well with spoons some days, but coho don't seem to like a single action on the spoon (ex cast and retrieve). I like to jig the spoons back in to get more action on them and it works wonders.

If you're fishing the vedder, stick with spoons. R&B silver/brass 50/50 spoons and gold hammered crocs if the water is low and clear will be all you need. I have caught very few coho on spinners in there for some reason, and I have given both equal effort. Spoons out fish spinners probably 10 to 1 for me no matter what I have tried.

Honestly, there is no definitive answer for your question, as I said, it all depends on species, the specific river, and water being fished. I have learned a heck of a lot sight fishing the past 2 years on the island, figuring out what jigging methods work, and what gets coho to bite under different circumstances. My advice is don't just stick to one thing, if you want to pack light, take a spinning rod with spinners, spoons and jigs. If you don't get a hit in the first 5 casts and you know there are fish there, switch up to something different or a different method. If they are going to bite, coho bite fast.

Steelhead are another story, they are all about spoons, summer or winter run fish, on any system I've been on. They like the wobble. They like spoons on the swing or a slow cast retrieve. They will occasionally go for a jigged spoon too, especially if they have been flogged and are gun shy a little bit. Winter run fish will hit metal like crazy despite what most people will tell you...

fisherforever

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »

With regular weighted spinners I don't use a float or weight. When using Colorado spinners I'll set up with a float on the mainline then slide on the appropriate length of pencil lead (appropriate to balance the float) then slide on a small bead (to act as a bumper so the weight isn't bumping into the knot I tie), next on is the swivel. Next tie on a leader normally about 16" and then tie on the Colorado.

DC1980

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »

What do you find better for floating? I have made some colorado spinners with a couple beads on either side of the blade and I am also made a couple with just a swivel, snap ring, blade, swivel another ring then a hook.

Also the weighted spinners I have made for casting are on the lighter side, maybe 1/4 oz at most. I need to add a couple split shots to be able to cast. I find i don't have much success when fishing spoons or spinners with any weight added. Any advice?

fisherforever

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 06:43:52 PM »

What do you find better for floating? I have made some colorado spinners with a couple beads on either side of the blade and I am also made a couple with just a swivel, snap ring, blade, swivel another ring then a hook.

Also the weighted spinners I have made for casting are on the lighter side, maybe 1/4 oz at most. I need to add a couple split shots to be able to cast. I find i don't have much success when fishing spoons or spinners with any weight added. Any advice?
Up to you which style of Colorado you prefer, I have tried both and only use the ones I make without a bead now. I use RVRFSHR Rvrwhirler spinners which are quite heavy and never used any weight with them (I'll have a large variety of them for sale at the used tackle sale on Nov.09/13). Spoons, I never use weight as it detracts from the action of the spoon.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »

Depends what you are fishing for, and what the water is like, AND what river it is.

Coho I generally do better with spinners under all conditions. I can do equally as well with spoons some days, but coho don't seem to like a single action on the spoon (ex cast and retrieve). I like to jig the spoons back in to get more action on them and it works wonders.

If you're fishing the vedder, stick with spoons. R&B silver/brass 50/50 spoons and gold hammered crocs if the water is low and clear will be all you need. I have caught very few coho on spinners in there for some reason, and I have given both equal effort. Spoons out fish spinners probably 10 to 1 for me no matter what I have tried.

Honestly, there is no definitive answer for your question, as I said, it all depends on species, the specific river, and water being fished. I have learned a heck of a lot sight fishing the past 2 years on the island, figuring out what jigging methods work, and what gets coho to bite under different circumstances. My advice is don't just stick to one thing, if you want to pack light, take a spinning rod with spinners, spoons and jigs. If you don't get a hit in the first 5 casts and you know there are fish there, switch up to something different or a different method. If they are going to bite, coho bite fast.

Steelhead are another story, they are all about spoons, summer or winter run fish, on any system I've been on. They like the wobble. They like spoons on the swing or a slow cast retrieve. They will occasionally go for a jigged spoon too, especially if they have been flogged and are gun shy a little bit. Winter run fish will hit metal like crazy despite what most people will tell you...

I like Every Day's idea to jig the spoon a bit when retriving - I'm gonna try that! Recently when I've gone out coho fishing with my spinning rod I've brought a good selection of spoons and spinners. I find unless the water is supper slow it doesn't seem like my spinner is getting down enough. Overall I haven't had a lot of luck tossing Blue Foxes, etc. However with spoons I've done quite well. On most runs a 1/2 oz or so seems to get down enough. I'll either just let it swing through the current like a fly or reel in ever so slowly. Often WHAM coho on a soon as the spoon hit the water and starting fluttering. I'm going to try jigging my spoons a bit to give them a more erratic action. Good tip Every Day!

RyanB

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 10:53:26 PM »

I find unless the water is supper slow it doesn't seem like my spinner is getting down enough. Overall I haven't had a lot of luck tossing Blue Foxes, etc. However with spoons I've done quite well. On most runs a 1/2 oz or so seems to get down enough.

Spinners have a natural depth they run at based on the type of blade on the spinner.  Changing your retrieve speed doesn't affect a spinner's depth as much as a spoon.  A slower retrieve on a spoon will keep it lower in the water.

Usually a spinner will have it's depth marked on the package.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson