Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are non English speaking people disadvantaged when it comes to the regs?  (Read 18164 times)

zap brannigan

Re: Are non English speaking people disadvantaged when it comes to the regs?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »

I would love to see a test be put in place for licensing in ENGLISH, would have no problems paying for it either.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »

I would love to see a test be put in place for licensing in EGLISH, would have no problems paying for it either.

I guess nobody will be passing this test and getting their fishing licences then lol!!! ::)

azafai

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

some champ wants to "deal with them himself," and by doing so basically taking the law in his own hands, some wants to deny them the rights to fishing because they don't speak English, and some others even want to send them back to their country.  Crazy!!   

good that those who actually make the laws are at least smarter then these individuals.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:58:55 AM by azafai »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »

Someone riding their bike without a helmet endangers only themselves. Darwin takes care of them. ;)

When I see a biker riding without a helmet, I think: "Poor idiot!" And I move on.

What about the added costs? If the bicyclist without a helmet hurts themselves/dies and we need to take him to a hospital via ambulance/doctors etc - doesn't society incur the added costs of this non helmet illegal behaviour? You need to expand your mind milo to situations outside your immediate bubble.

salmonlover

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »

I guess nobody will be passing this test and getting their fishing licences then lol!!! ::)

come on rod dont be so hard on him...not all of us here are bloggers who use grammer checking software

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »

Jeeze, I don't know where to start so here were go.

Riding a bike without a helmet isn't really good analogy.  If someone spills without a helmet, the consequences are basically all their own although as someone pointed out, society may pay for their hospital bill. 

Snaggers on the other hand damage the fishery for everyone around them:
#1 - Snaggers and flossers pollute our river because they fish deep with excessive weight and long leaders which ultimately get left on the bottom of the river in FAR greater volume than let’s say someone float fishing or throwing a $5-$8 spinner or spoon.  The mess the leave behind makes it impossible to fish some runs.
#2 - They snag fish which they know they can't retain, this must cause increased mortality and reduces breeding numbers.
#3 – The way they bomb a hole and rip their lines through the water, more often than not, scares the fish and shuts the hole down…the fish stop biting.  This ruins the fishing for people who are trying to get biters.
#4 – in general, snaggers are scum bags that IMO don’t belong on the river.  If you don’t respect the rules or the fish then you are more likely not to respect other things like the environment.  Look at all the garbage at the cable pool.  It’s not there in that volume during winter steelhead when the sportsmen are out.  It’s not there when the Coho run is just starting and the first true fishers are finding the run.  That garbage is there in disgusting amounts now that the run is chalk full of tomatoes and the snaggers are there. 

Snaggers don’t respect the regs, the fish, the environment….NOTHING....these are just a few reasons I call RAPP every chance I get.

To answer “long cast’s” question, my wife is Chinese, my brother in law Filipino, I have an Aunt from Japan, friends from Vietnam and Laos, I traveled SE Asia over extended periods of time on multiple occasions…I can tell ethnicity often by the sounds of a voice or certain physical characteristics.  Singaporeans learn English as a first language and I guarantee you I can tell a Singaporean based on how their English sounds (intonation, etc)…this guy was Chinese, no doubt about it.  I could post his video on Youtube if you like.

To those of you who think the “no English” is a polite way of saying F. off, I don’t think so.  This guys was smiling and laughing, waving back at me…if he hadn’t been snagging fish, it would have been hysterical watching him…he was having a grand old time!   

To address another comment, had I been able to communicate with him, I would have politely had a conversation with him about what he was doing and why it is wrong…when I said I “yelled” down to him it was simply due to the distance between us…there wasn’t any hostility. 

I like the idea of a test.  Ya I would get 100% and probably have to pay an extra $25 bucks or whatever but if it helps stop crap like this and it help people stop flossing and snagging, that would be a good investment for all of us to make.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 03:58:35 PM »

What about the added costs? If the bicyclist without a helmet hurts themselves/dies and we need to take him to a hospital via ambulance/doctors etc - doesn't society incur the added costs of this non helmet illegal behaviour? You need to expand your mind milo to situations outside your immediate bubble.

What about the trauma of the driver, passengers, witnesses, family of bicyclist???  What about their friends, co-workers, fishing buddies on FWR  ::)  ???  The ripple effect spreads wide and doesn't stop with stupidity.....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Suther

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »

What about the trauma of the driver, passengers, witnesses, family of bicyclist???  What about their friends, co-workers, fishing buddies on FWR  ::)  ???  The ripple effect spreads wide and doesn't stop with stupidity.....

Human deaths from cyclists are a tiny number.  Fish killed by poachers is not. This is not about the cost to society, it's about protecting the fish who can't protect themselves.

Sinaran

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »

I've fished next to many Asians (not just Chinese) on the Cap, Belcarra, Rice Lake, Richmond, and Ambleside and found them overwhelmingly friendly.  They have often helped me with offers to net fish and offered advice on bait.  My crab traps are usually full thanks to some advice from the guys at Ambleside. :)

There is sometimes a language barrier with older Chinese fishers but I've never found them to be any more likely to break regulations.

And honestly, how many people really read the regulations?  Most people skim over them and learn by fishing.  Someone tells them they are doing something wrong and they try and correct it. 

Should a fishing license be harder to obtain?  Maybe, but it won't stop snaggers.  It will just exclude lower-income people who want to fish.

What stops people from speeding?  Seeing a cop with a radar gun and cars being pulled over. 

The real way to stop snagging is more enforcement.
Liked
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

fishbandit66

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 09:50:41 PM »

To get the "cheap" license you have to be a permanent resident of BC. To be a permanent resident you NEED by law to speak English or French. I guess if they are sponsored by their kids it's different but unless he's an old man he should be able to speak English or should pay for the non-resident alien licence (used to cost quite a bit before)

Wrong on two counts.

There are numerous ways to get permanent resident without being able to speak English or French (family sponsor, working for 1 year, getting a degree, lending the government money etc)

And you don't need to be PR to get the cheap license. You just need to of been in BC for the majority of the previous year (eg work visa, student visa, two 6m holiday visas etc)

I do, however, question how someone can work out the online licensing system without being able to speak English though. Not exactly the easiest system to use.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »

In doing that, I would have to expand my mind to include fat people who will be tapping into the system because of their poor eating choices, smokers for their addiction, heavy drinkers, alcoholics, substance abusers...so much so that I wouldn't have time to deal with my own immediate issues and things I am passionate about.

No, my dear.

That's what MSPBC and the optional extended health insurance is for. That's what my taxes are for. That's what the government I subsidize is for. So I can deal with my stuff. Not yours.

MoeJKU

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »

I still think a course is helpful. It will at least show people some ethics, and proper methods to identify a fish. Snagging with continue just as poaching will. But if everyone is more aware of why snagging is bad, and the outcome of snagging. Then it would be a more disliked and frowned upon by the majority of the community, not just the small online community where this topic gets brought up every year. If 85 90 percent of the people frowned upon it more and knew what snagging was, there would be more people reporting it, and saying something on the river.
 And  yes a course in English i think should be done because the regs are in english. Doesn't matter if you speak russian, mandarin, or whatever the regs are in english, that is the only determining factor for me.

No race is a better, than the next at fishing. I just think its frustrating when someone thinks they can get away with something through not speaking english well enough to understand the regs. Ignorance is no excuse and claiming ignorance in anyones case, especially they do know better is just sad.
there is my 2 cents.

RyanB

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »

And  yes a course in English i think should be done because the regs are in english. Doesn't matter if you speak russian, mandarin, or whatever the regs are in english, that is the only determining factor for me.

Should French speakers be required to learn EGLISH to fish?

Tabernac!  Le regulations are in zee French too!
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/index-fra.htm
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 11:15:01 PM »

How about a test for only certain waters at certain times for certain fish? For example, a regular freshwater license is normal cost & everything but you would need an attachment or something to fish some systems like the Vedder or Cap.
Someone was here

MoeJKU

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »

Should French speakers be required to learn EGLISH to fish?

Tabernac!  Le regulations are in zee French too!
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/index-fra.htm
We what ever the synopsis is written in. I guess when you look at federal rules such as you mention it is true french would work also. I just believe that you should have to be able to read the regs. If they print them in other languages then that would be fine with me as well. expensive but it might help.
I pretty sure there is only two provinces considered to be bilingual, and BC is not one of them. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think its nova scotia and onterrible.