Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are non English speaking people disadvantaged when it comes to the regs?  (Read 18165 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Are non English speaking people disadvantaged when it comes to the regs?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 09:11:34 PM »

:)  responsible anglers (who also bonk them and smoke them) are their only voice

Now you're getting it. Many people take sport fishing seriously and value their time on the water and realize that it is every sport fishers responsibility to know the regs. It saddens me to see the outright snagging on the Cap, one of my favourite rivers. But getting in the face of other people may not be a safe way to go though Gooey. Met you quite a few times on the Cap and I realize how much you love  this river too, but just be careful bro'.

I just finished watching The Purge where for 12 hours all criminal activity is legal. Perhaps we could have dfo institute a Purge for fishing where by anyone spotting a snagger can throw him and his gear in the water, end of problem at least for 12 hours, lol.  ;D

ninez

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »

Now you're getting it. Many people take sport fishing seriously and value their time on the water and realize that it is every sport fishers responsibility to know the regs. It saddens me to see the outright snagging on the Cap, one of my favourite rivers. But getting in the face of other people may not be a safe way to go though Gooey. Met you quite a few times on the Cap and I realize how much you love  this river too, but just be careful bro'.

I just finished watching The Purge where for 12 hours all criminal activity is legal. Perhaps we could have dfo institute a Purge for fishing where by anyone spotting a snagger can throw him and his gear in the water, end of problem at least for 12 hours, lol.  ;D

well..  i think first to let them know snagging is not allowed.
if they say "no engrish, no engrish" then send them back to where they come from will be better.
oh, if their gear is good, keep it, don't throw the gear in water.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 09:15:56 PM »

:)  responsible anglers (who also bonk them and smoke them) are their only voice

Yes, ninez, but catching, bonking and smoking fish is a privilege; protecting them from being abused is our duty.

Do DFO care about snagging? 
Is it like calling the police regarding someone not wearing helmet when riding their bike?
Nope.
Someone riding their bike without a helmet endangers only themselves. Darwin takes care of them. ;)

When I see a biker riding without a helmet, I think: "Poor idiot!" And I move on.
When I see a snagger snagging fish, I think: "Poor fish!" And I call a CO. (or deal with the snagger myself, depending on the situation).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:17:31 PM by milo »

ninez

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »

When I see a biker riding without a helmet, I think: "Poor idiot!" And I move on.

Hey, I was gonna say that.. 

zap brannigan

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »

no english no license, simple if people cant or wont take the time to learn english they are unable to read regs and in season reg changes.

ninez

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »

no english no license, simple if people cant or wont take the time to learn english they are unable to read regs and in season reg changes.

no engrish is just an excuse.
say that to a judge.

Fillibert

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »

To get the "cheap" license you have to be a permanent resident of BC. To be a permanent resident you NEED by law to speak English or French. I guess if they are sponsored by their kids it's different but unless he's an old man he should be able to speak English or should pay for the non-resident alien licence (used to cost quite a bit before)

ninez

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

To get the "cheap" license you have to be a permanent resident of BC. To be a permanent resident you NEED by law to speak English or French. I guess if they are sponsored by their kids it's different but unless he's an old man he should be able to speak English or should pay for the non-resident alien licence (used to cost quite a bit before)

Maybe they didn't get the "cheap" license, that's why they need to snag more fish to make the money worth.

Suther

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 11:08:06 PM »

If hes snagging fish theres a pretty good chance he doesn't even have a license.

As for needing to speak French or English to be a permanent resident, French isn't even an official language in this province, English only (in fact, New Brunswick is the ONLY bi-lingual province. Quebec is french only) so I see that as an unlikely requirement. Regardless, all it does is change the cost of his license if he actually bought one, not a very big roadblock to keep him from doing what he was doing.

What they need is stiffer penalties. Rip up licenses, increase the fines, start tasing people... Tasers and rivers are a great mix, right?? lol

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 11:38:12 PM »

I want to relay a story from the capilano today.  I went there and saw snaggers everywhere.  one particular (under the foot bridge) was sweeping his 10.5 foot rod 180 degrees.  He was obviously snagging fish. 

I called RAPP on him and a number of other snaggers and proceeded to go to the foot bridge and video tape him in case DFO showed up.  After enough carnage I shouted down at him that snagging is illegal.  On a side note someone who made a posting earlier was describe as making racist comments but I think we need to go here.  Describing this person as asian or chinese is accurate and I think an important part of the issue...is it really racist...not in my books. 

Anyhow, long story short, when he heard me yelling down at him he started smiling and laughing and said "no English, no English".  Am I right in thinking if he can't speak English, he can't read it?  Not sure if anyone learns to read a language and cant speak it??? 

I question if a fisher like this is capable of understanding and interpreting the laws/regs that are supposed to govern we sports fishers?

He obviously didn't know the regs, so I dont think I am wrong questioning if he can even read the regs (his casual behaviour after I called down to him makes me think he doesn't even know snagging is illegal).  I certainly couldn't communicate with him that what he was doing was wrong.

Bottom line, we have some confusing regs (they change from season to season and river to river, they change after printing and need follow up online in many cases).  Are there regs in any other language than English in BC?  Not that I have seen at any local shop. 

I think its too easy to get a fishing licence and I don't think we properly prepare ALL fishers properly (opposed to CORE/hunting).

Anyhow not sure where I am going with this now, just kind of venting...its really sad to see 90% of the fishers on the Cap blatantly snagging fish.  The system is broken and needs to be fixed. 

And yes there were whites and first nations there snagging too...those individuals are just ignorant as I think there is a certain level of awareness there....they need to be regulated with better regs.  In the case of this "Asian" fisher, I am not sure that there was any awareness (of the regs) so thats another issue all together.

It's funny how you're complaining about someone's lack of understanding of English, yet you're a huge mess with your spelling and grammar! Sure, he was Asian, yet how did you know that he was Chinese?

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 06:42:57 AM »

Increased number of snaggers and poachers = No fish in 10 to 20 years :( if you see it speak up or we all lose.

ninez

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 08:09:33 AM »

Increased number of snaggers and poachers = No fish in 10 to 20 years :( if you see it speak up or we all lose.

One poacher with net could possibly do more damage than all snaggers combine.
Wouldn't the fisheries be shut down if the fish numbers are low?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:32:14 AM by ninez »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »

One poacher with net could possibly do more damage than all snaggers combine.
Wouldn't the fisheries be shut down if the fish numbers are low?
Dude you really need to read before you type :) that's why I said snaggers and POACHERS and the low numbers  in TEN to TWENTY years !

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »

It's funny how you're complaining about someones lack of understanding of English, yet you're a huge mess with your spelling and grammar! Sure, he was Asian, yet how did you know that he was Chinese?

you really going to take a shot at him for a few grammar mistakes. his post was easy to read and made sense. regardless if he is Chinese or not, we have a serious problem with how people are fishing these days and i think he brings up a very good point on how people read the regs even though they cant understand English. so whats the answer, regs in different languages or a test that everyone has to pass to get their licence. i am in favor of the test option.

Suther

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »

so whats the answer, regs in different languages or a test that everyone has to pass to get their licence. i am in favor of the test option.

I dont think either is going to fix the problem. If they are not using legal fishing methods, I doubt they care that much about having a license either.

Having the regs in different languages would be helpful though, make it more accessible to those who want to fish properly but can't read good english. If "No English" is a truthful response from these guys, then maybe, just maybe, they actually DO care about fishing but this language thing is a barrier for them...

Of course, I dont think there are THAT many people who dont have a close relative who DOES speak fluent english (a son or daughter for instance, maybe a brother or sister or cousin) who COULD read the regs for them and explain what they can/can't do while fishing, and this is the reason I dont think having the regs in other languages will help enough. Its not like English is an entirely inaccessible language, there is tonnes of ESL services and stuff around. Hell, you could probably walk into a chinese church and ask the minister to translate the regs if you can't speak English.

A test isn't a bad idea though. To be allowed to hunt, you need to pass a test. You can either take the course, or just buy the book and challenge the test. Something similar would be a good idea. Make it something you only have to write once in your life. The problem here is cost - it can't be a free test, because someone would have to administer it, and nobody works for free these days... And why the hell should I have to go pay for a test when I already know wtf Im doing, meanwhile lots of the people who dont know wtf they are doing will just skip the test and go fish illegally.