Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are non English speaking people disadvantaged when it comes to the regs?  (Read 18162 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer

I want to relay a story from the capilano today.  I went there and saw snaggers everywhere.  one particular (under the foot bridge) was sweeping his 10.5 foot rod 180 degrees.  He was obviously snagging fish. 

I called RAPP on him and a number of other snaggers and proceeded to go to the foot bridge and video tape him in case DFO showed up.  After enough carnage I shouted down at him that snagging is illegal.  On a side note someone who made a posting earlier was describe as making racist comments but I think we need to go here.  Describing this person as asian or chinese is accurate and I think an important part of the issue...is it really racist...not in my books. 

Anyhow, long story short, when he heard me yelling down at him he started smiling and laughing and said "no English, no English".  Am I right in thinking if he can't speak English, he can't read it?  Not sure if anyone learns to read a language and cant speak it??? 

I question if a fisher like this is capable of understanding and interpreting the laws/regs that are supposed to govern we sports fishers?

He obviously didn't know the regs, so I dont think I am wrong questioning if he can even read the regs (his casual behaviour after I called down to him makes me think he doesn't even know snagging is illegal).  I certainly couldn't communicate with him that what he was doing was wrong.

Bottom line, we have some confusing regs (they change from season to season and river to river, they change after printing and need follow up online in many cases).  Are there regs in any other language than English in BC?  Not that I have seen at any local shop. 

I think its too easy to get a fishing licence and I don't think we properly prepare ALL fishers properly (opposed to CORE/hunting).

Anyhow not sure where I am going with this now, just kind of venting...its really sad to see 90% of the fishers on the Cap blatantly snagging fish.  The system is broken and needs to be fixed. 

And yes there were whites and first nations there snagging too...those individuals are just ignorant as I think there is a certain level of awareness there....they need to be regulated with better regs.  In the case of this "Asian" fisher, I am not sure that there was any awareness (of the regs) so thats another issue all together.

ninez

Re: Are non English speaking people disadvantaged when it comes to the regs?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »

I have been living here for a long time and I have a hard time reading them rules such as
"non-retention"  and I have to double check to make sure it means what I think it means.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »

I'm sure he drove himself there and well to get a drivers license you need to be able to read english...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

ninez

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »

I'm sure he drove himself there and well to get a drivers license you need to be able to read english...

em.. probably don't need to know English to get your license.
The exam is in many languages.

Under
Take the knowledge test at a driver licensing office

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/new-drivers/get-l#tab-content-2

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:08:02 PM »

Agreed.
"No English, no English" is a euphemism for "f*ck you" in snaggers' lingo.

Under

Actually you do.
A knowledge test is theory only, not the driving test.
To pass the road test and get your license, you MUST have functional command of English. They won't administer it in any language other than English in BC.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »

Under

Not sure where you're driving but where I drive EVERY sign is in ENGLISH  :o
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

RyanB

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:16:47 PM »

I've fished next to many Asians (not just Chinese) on the Cap, Belcarra, Rice Lake, Richmond, and Ambleside and found them overwhelmingly friendly.  They have often helped me with offers to net fish and offered advice on bait.  My crab traps are usually full thanks to some advice from the guys at Ambleside. :)

There is sometimes a language barrier with older Chinese fishers but I've never found them to be any more likely to break regulations.

And honestly, how many people really read the regulations?  Most people skim over them and learn by fishing.  Someone tells them they are doing something wrong and they try and correct it. 

Should a fishing license be harder to obtain?  Maybe, but it won't stop snaggers.  It will just exclude lower-income people who want to fish.

What stops people from speeding?  Seeing a cop with a radar gun and cars being pulled over. 

The real way to stop snagging is more enforcement.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

ninez

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »

Not sure where you're driving but where I drive EVERY sign is in ENGLISH  :o

Richmond??  LOL

ninez

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »

Cap is transit accessible.  Maybe he bused there.
Maybe he is just ignorant.

Sandman

• Old Timer

I can actually read and write French a lot better than I can speak it.  Bottom line, is that ignorance of the law is no excuse, so disadvantage...yes, excuse for breaking the law...no.  This is one reason why immigrants are encouraged to learn the language of the country to which you are moving.  Most likely the individual you were calling out on illegal activity was simply wishing to avoid a confrontation by claiming to not to understand you, hoping you would give up on educating him.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:54:11 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

ninez

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »

I don't see people calling the police when they see people riding their bike without helmet,
or calling the police when they see people driving without seat belt or using smartphone.

Why would it be so important to call DFO when they see people snagging?

What's DFO's main priority anyways?  They only checked my hook all three times that I got checked.
They never checked my car or cooler to see if I have more than four salmon in my cooler or wild coho in my trunk.

I am too new to this hobby/sport to understand all this.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:56:24 PM by ninez »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »

Why would it be so important to call DFO when they see people snagging?

Because fish can't speak for themselves and responsible anglers are their only voice.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:02:45 PM by milo »

ninez

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »

Because fish can't speak for themselves and responsable anglers are their only voice.

:)  responsible anglers (who also bonk them and smoke them) are their only voice

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:01:58 PM »

I am too new to this hobby/sport to understand all this.

Well thats quite apparent and thats why were attempting to help you understand the urgency and seriousness of the situation.

ninez

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »

Well thats quite apparent and thats why were attempting to help you understand the urgency and seriousness of the situation.

Do DFO care about snagging? 
Is it like calling the police regarding someone not wearing helmet when riding their bike?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:08:52 PM by ninez »