Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shooting line for Skagit casting  (Read 19778 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Shooting line for Skagit casting
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »

Well yesterday I lost my spey virginity :) Got out on the river for a 7ish hour lesson - it was awesome! I didn't pick it up nearly as fast as I anticipated. I plan to get out tomorrow and just practice casting in the same place we had our lesson and just work on everything we covered. By the end of the day I could do a decent double spey off both shoulders, and a decent circle-c off both shoulders. Nearning the end of the lesson with a bit of time to spare I tried to learn the perry-poke, but I think I was just getting bagged as I just couldn't get it so we said bugger it and just wrapped up with a summary of the 4 casts and a video of me on my phone so I'd have something to reference.

Overall I really like the 2 handed rod and definitely plan to practice the casts until I have them engrained into muscle memory. It would be awesome to hook a steelhead on the spey rod but right now I'm just going to focus on learning the casting. Water I'll be practicing on isn't overly "fishy" (clear and shallow) but I don't want to get too worried about getting into fish until I have more time in practising.

I'll be sure to sign up on the flybc website. Would love to meet some other guys who spey fish the Vedder, get some pointers, etc. When is the next casting tuneup?

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2013, 06:08:33 AM »

Quote from: Spawn Sack link=topic=34208.msg332062#msg33206
I'll be sure to sign up on the flybc website. Would love to meet some other guys who spey fish the Vedder, get some pointers, etc. When is the next casting tuneup?

Tomorrow, New Year's Day

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=46678

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »

Sorry was tied up today couldn't make it. I will sign up with FlyBC and hopefully make some events in the futre :)