Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shooting line for Skagit casting  (Read 19776 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Shooting line for Skagit casting
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has tried out one or more of Rio's shooting lines. The reel I ordered will be in next week then I'll be putting backing, shooting line, and my 600gr skagit head on.

The staff at Sea Run reccomended the Connect Core ($60) in the 30lb breaking strength, although since it's a new line none of them working had tried it and could actually say they liked it. But apparently it's the best.

Also there is the Grip Shooter ($30), the PowerFlex ($40) and the Slickshooter ($16).

Diatance is ceratinly a priority as I want to be able to cast a mile if I desire. Price is not a big deal as none of them are overly pricey. I plan to use the line in the freezing cold for steelhead if that matters.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
Re: Shooting line for Skagit casting
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »

I like slick shooter because I am too cheap to buy the grip shooter.  I run slick on both my setups.  Paired up with my nextcast wa55, it flies effortlessly.

As a beginner, the last thing you should be focused on is distance. Learn the fundamentals of casting, controlling loops, mending your line and controlling your fly. The distance thing will come naturally.  I have gone through this stage and when you focus so much on distance it takes away from everything else.  More often than not fish will be within 50ft of you, especially on local flows. 

If you haven't already, register on speypages, the info/database is endless!

Cheers
Taylor
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:12:13 AM by TayC »
A swung fly is the best fly.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »

why are you 100% stuck on Rio running lines ?

take a look at Scientific Anglers and Airflo lines as well.

I have been running the .021 SA mono running line for a few years now. awesome line and shoots like hell but the drawback is it gets coily after a few years. I run slickshooter (50lb?) on my switch rod setup and it also shoots well, my buddy and dad both fish slickshooter on their 8wt spey rods and love it. for $10 how can you really go wrong, right ?

I think I will be swapping out my SA for slickshooter for this upcoming season because I have cast both of the other setups and it bombs. You honestly cant be it at its price. I have tried several other running lines and some are of and some are crap. stay away from hollow core stuff, yes they ride high in the water but if it cracks then it fills with water ( I learned this the hard way, when it freezes it cracks the line everywhere !)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

adecadelost

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »

I started out with Slickshooter and gave it up to try a few of the other lines.
Lets just say I went back to the slickshooter this year. 
It fires great, holds up just as good if not better then some of the more typical running line types, and is cheap and replaceable every year or two when it starts to get unmanageable.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »

why are you 100% stuck on Rio running lines ?

take a look at Scientific Anglers and Airflo lines as well.

I have been running the .021 SA mono running line for a few years now. awesome line and shoots like hell but the drawback is it gets coily after a few years. I run slickshooter (50lb?) on my switch rod setup and it also shoots well, my buddy and dad both fish slickshooter on their 8wt spey rods and love it. for $10 how can you really go wrong, right ?

I think I will be swapping out my SA for slickshooter for this upcoming season because I have cast both of the other setups and it bombs. You honestly cant be it at its price. I have tried several other running lines and some are of and some are crap. stay away from hollow core stuff, yes they ride high in the water but if it cracks then it fills with water ( I learned this the hard way, when it freezes it cracks the line everywhere !)

I'm not stuck in Rio lines...I guess it's just brand familiarity. The shops I mainly go to (Fred's and Sea Run) seem to stock mainly Rio lines. All the lines on my trout reels and single hand fly reel are Rio as that's what the guys at Fred's had and reccomended.

As far as the slickshooter goes...for those who like it...is it easy to hold in loops in your non casting hand? I guess I'm used to holding a thicker line and the slickshooter is so thin it appers it would be a pain to manage. However a lot of people seem to like it and for the price yeah you could swap it out every year or two when it started to show its age.

Curious if anyone out there has tried the Connect Core shooting line and what they thik of it.

TayC

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

I'm not stuck in Rio lines...I guess it's just brand familiarity. The shops I mainly go to (Fred's and Sea Run) seem to stock mainly Rio lines. All the lines on my trout reels and single hand fly reel are Rio as that's what the guys at Fred's had and reccomended.

As far as the slickshooter goes...for those who like it...is it easy to hold in loops in your non casting hand? I guess I'm used to holding a thicker line and the slickshooter is so thin it appers it would be a pain to manage. However a lot of people seem to like it and for the price yeah you could swap it out every year or two when it started to show its age.

Curious if anyone out there has tried the Connect Core shooting line and what they thik of it.

Holding loops isn't an issue. Sometimes it slips when you pinch against the cork, that's what grip shooter is good for. Make to hold "loops" and not "coils" will reduce loops gangling when shooting.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »

you can also use plumbers tape around the cork where you pinch it to stop the slippage issue if you need to. You don't want stuff that leaves sticky stuff behind so plumbers tape is good. there is another kind of tape but I cant remember what its called but its basically the same as plumbers tape but is all natural rubber I think.

Slickshooter is oval shaped which is why slippage can be a problem. Gripshooter is the exact same stuff but has a slightly thicker section where you would be grabbing it to cast
Check out our new blog

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »

Gripshooter is garbage IMO, 10 casts in and the coating on the handling section was worn / split , I'll be taking it back and going back to Airlo Ridge or Wullf Tracer running line, way nicer to handle and shoots plenty far for any of our local fishing.

ByteMe

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »

40lb Berkley Big Game mono,was introduced to it years ago by a guide,never looked back,no coiling probs,even comes in flouresant green,$10 for a 370yd coil,good for 10 refills
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »

i like rio slick shooter another i also like sharkskin but the rio slick shooter is my fav 2 of my 3 setups have it

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »

Well I ened up going with the Rio Connect Core ".037" (20lb breaking strength). I am 100% new to the spey scene so at the end of the day I went with the advice of the staff member who fishes the same rod and nearly same reel (he has the Galvin Toqrue whereas I have the Rush) as me. I figured if he fishes it and likes it then I am likely to like it too. I'm curious to eventually try some of the other lines such as slick shooter, etc. But for now I'll be learning on this set up.

I was planning to buy bulk T sink tips, but for the purposes of lerarning I was convinced to buy a couple pre done Rio tips. Looking a my tips here I have one "Skagit MOW tip" (what the hell does MOW mean?) in 10ft-T-11. The other one is also a Skagit MOW tips but it's an "iMOW Medium" in "2.5ft int/7.5ft t-11." From what I recall the first one is a straight sinking tip and the second has 2.5 feet of lightly sinking inermediate tip them the rest t-11.

Anyone think I should get anything else before hitting the river? Also I recall back when I learned to cast my s/h rod the instructor reccomended we used just the floating line - no tips to start. How about with the d/h rod? Would ya'll start with just the skagit head and a leader, or jump right in and learn to cast with the sink tips?

TayC

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »

Well I ened up going with the Rio Connect Core ".037" (20lb breaking strength). I am 100% new to the spey scene so at the end of the day I went with the advice of the staff member who fishes the same rod and nearly same reel (he has the Galvin Toqrue whereas I have the Rush) as me. I figured if he fishes it and likes it then I am likely to like it too. I'm curious to eventually try some of the other lines such as slick shooter, etc. But for now I'll be learning on this set up.

I was planning to buy bulk T sink tips, but for the purposes of lerarning I was convinced to buy a couple pre done Rio tips. Looking a my tips here I have one "Skagit MOW tip" (what the hell does MOW mean?) in 10ft-T-11. The other one is also a Skagit MOW tips but it's an "iMOW Medium" in "2.5ft int/7.5ft t-11." From what I recall the first one is a straight sinking tip and the second has 2.5 feet of lightly sinking inermediate tip them the rest t-11.

Anyone think I should get anything else before hitting the river? Also I recall back when I learned to cast my s/h rod the instructor reccomended we used just the floating line - no tips to start. How about with the d/h rod? Would ya'll start with just the skagit head and a leader, or jump right in and learn to cast with the sink tips?

Just jump right in, you will find out pretty quick what works for YOU and what doesn't.  Trial and error is all part of the game IMHO.  Sorry I can't give any feedback on the MOW tips, I use just straight up bulk t-material and Airflo polytips.  As for running lines, I stick to 40lb slick but I had to learn to manage it right.  One line I am itching to try is the Miracle Braid by Airflo, a little noisy but shoots like a damn according to a friend.

charles

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »

If you want to try rio slickshooter and don't want to buy new, I have 44lb rio slickshooter pond casted once.  115' in total with 2' cut off to make loop.  Like brand new for $7.50

Someone is picking up the airflow 540g compact skagit so I can part the rio slickshooter.  I am going back to single hand.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »

I think in a previous post you mentioned you picked up a 600gr skagit head.

Just a word of caution, I would be carefull running 20lb running line because the breaking strength of the skagit head is actually higher in that case then the running line. If you badly snag your tip or head, your running line is the weakest link and if it breaks there, you'll lose everything. I have had this happen... 30lb would be a better choice.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »

50lb is an even better choice !!
Check out our new blog