Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lost, Grand Pappys Wings Medal  (Read 14997 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Lost, Grand Pappys Wings Medal
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »

Fishing the canal on Tuesday 3/4 of the way towards the highway bridge on the east side . As I ended the evening fishing and on my way back to the truck I had to climb up the bank . I kept slipping down the clay as I tried to get up the slimy bank .I fell pretty hard the first time . I think that's where my Grandfathers RCAF wings he gave me before passing . It was a good luck charm I wore in honor of my grand pappy . If anyone finds it could you please please please email me . markn461@telus.net
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Lost, Grand Pappys Wings Medal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:31:39 AM »

Did some river cleanup in that area yesterday, did not see them, will look again today but I imagine you have been back looking.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »

Thanks Chris , I was there around 5:30 till dark Tuesday evening . I have not gone back to have a look yet . I am in Cloverdale so its a bit of a jaunt to go back untill maybe Friday after work . The spot I was , there is a long log that looks like a bench on the upper side of that bank is where I was .

jpar247

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »

Maybe rent a metal detector?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:47 PM »

Thanks Chris , I was there around 5:30 till dark Tuesday evening . I have not gone back to have a look yet . I am in Cloverdale so its a bit of a jaunt to go back untill maybe Friday after work . The spot I was , there is a long log that looks like a bench on the upper side of that bank is where I was .
Will check tomorrow.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »

Mark, if it makes you feel better, this post is being shared all over Facebook and Twitter today so there'll be lots of people looking for it when out fishing this weekend for you, hopefully...

https://www.facebook.com/fishingwithrod/posts/10151738054397712

https://www.facebook.com/fredscustomtackle/posts/513373845418585

Lets see if we can get it back to you.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »

Thank you gentlemen very much . I really appreciate your assistance and I hope for it to be found . Especially before Remembrance day . I will be sad if it doesn't turn up before then . Grand paps might appaer in the middle of the night and smack me silly .

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »

Grand paps might appaer in the middle of the night and smack me silly .

;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »

Looked yesterday, I think I was in the right area. Lots of beaten down grass. A metal detector may be the way to go as has been suggested above.

Suther

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »

Dont go rent a metal detector. Just go to Canadian Tire and buy one, use it, and return it. As long as you dont trash it, you can return it no problem. Big companies like Canadian Tire just write off the return to corporate, the store itself doesn't give a crap. In fact, a lot of things are simply thrown out by the store once its returned for this very reason. My friend gets free stuff out of the dumpster at the CT he works at all the time - even stuff like an electric ATV winch, that worked perfectly fine. Walmart is no different, my dad hauls their bins and has come across countless useful things, such as the 5-gallon air compressor he moved out of the bin and into the cab of his truck. lol

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/OutdoorAdventureAccessories/PRD~0793946P/Bounty+Hunter+Discovery+2200+Metal+Detector.jsp?locale=en

This one seems to have very good reviews and there are lots of questions - seems it'll find a dime 8-10" underground. That should work for your wings, even if you buried them in some clay when you feel.

Good Luck!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 07:32:27 PM »

Im in Aldergrove and I have a detector if you want to borrow it ? Its a Garret so if you break it you buy :) Shoot me an email if you do want to borrow it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:07:48 AM by Rantalot »

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »

Dont go rent a metal detector. Just go to Canadian Tire and buy one, use it, and return it. As long as you dont trash it, you can return it no problem. Big companies like Canadian Tire just write off the return to corporate, the store itself doesn't give a crap. In fact, a lot of things are simply thrown out by the store once its returned for this very reason. My friend gets free stuff out of the dumpster at the CT he works at all the time - even stuff like an electric ATV winch, that worked perfectly fine. Walmart is no different, my dad hauls their bins and has come across countless useful things, such as the 5-gallon air compressor he moved out of the bin and into the cab of his truck. lol

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/OutdoorAdventureAccessories/PRD~0793946P/Bounty+Hunter+Discovery+2200+Metal+Detector.jsp?locale=en

This one seems to have very good reviews and there are lots of questions - seems it'll find a dime 8-10" underground. That should work for your wings, even if you buried them in some clay when you feel.

Good Luck!

so much for good ethics...

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »

Good Luck!

You are not a good example for a F.W.R. member

Suther

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »

You are not a good example for a F.W.R. member

Why not?  Because large corporations don't care about returns I am the bad guy?  This is the best reason to shop big box stores- when you have an issue you know it will dealt with promptly.

It's hardly different than buying something and deciding after one use its not what you wanted. Finding wings is more important than corporates bottom line
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:56:20 AM by Suther »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »

I offered him the use of mine but as of yet have not heard from him?