Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet Boat Mishap On THe Vedder  (Read 14677 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Jet Boat Mishap On THe Vedder
« on: June 07, 2004, 05:25:42 AM »

Keep forgetting to post this.

While away on the 3rd and 4th and on my return I heard thisi ncident happened on the Vedder Friday.

Apparently 3 fellows that had travelled up the Vedder River on 3 Jet skis had parked their boats in Sweltser Creek at the Vedder bridge and went up to Riverside Restuarant for an bite to eat.

Then a Jet Boat that had traversed up from the canal area came around the corner at a high rate of speed and in trying to miss the parked jet boats ran it up on the rip rap.

I was told it was completely out of the water.

It was pushed off the rocks and because of some damage it was manouvered down to the BC Electric Bridge were it was towed out.

This is not the first time these boats have been on the Vedder and in one incident some anglers fishing on the edge where nearly swept in because of the wave action of the passing boat.

I question anyone coming up that far up on the Vedder in the boat. Will look in to what it takes to have motorized boats banned from this area.

Will try to track down a picture if one was taken of the boat so could post.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:Jet Boat Mishap On THe Vedder
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 08:11:25 AM »

I was fishing the Fraser at the mouth that day.  No luck though.  It was probably bone head that went by me "too close" at a high rate of speed around noon.  Next time I'll have 20oz. ready.  Glad he wrecked his boat.

Adacas

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 10:15:48 AM »

I was fishing the Fraser at the mouth that day.  No luck though.  It was probably bone head that went by me "too close" at a high rate of speed around noon.  Next time I'll have 20oz. ready.  Glad he wrecked his boat.

So your'e willing to kill the person, because they came too close to you on the water.
I find your post quite disturbing. And to all boat operators out there, beware, there are people like this out there. Use caution.

d_w

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 03:08:08 PM »

Sorry to change the subject to the fraser :-\, but here is anouther thred on jet boaters

http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=8861&hl=
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 04:04:58 PM »

As long as all the dimwit did was damage his own property what's the Big Deal? ::)

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 07:17:30 PM »

Why do they need to travel up the vedder in their sleds????You would think that they would be doing damage to the spawning steelys in the lower river.The fish finally have a break from the fishermen and now look out for jet boats going up and down this narrow river...Lets keep the sleds to the bigger water like the fraser,thompson......hey boys ;)
Please honey can i go fishing now???

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 09:12:56 PM »

cool having a lawer on site 8) sounds to me like the boat oporater was putting his or her life at risk as well as anyone else on or in the river,swimming or whatever.Also the risk of a fuel spill in an accident,saw a jeep once loose all its oil into Davis lake,went down for a swim and a wash :o nothing but a huge oil slick :P
And then the purposely aggressive boaters,almost got one at slaughterhouse bar once with a granite potato,zooming in close several times while we were bar fishing sturgeon.use caution is right

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 09:35:15 PM »

Gotta like those "GRANITE POTATOEShehehe 8) 8) 8)
Please honey can i go fishing now???

otto

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 09:44:10 PM »

;D how do ya cook them granite taters?  ;D

seriously though......i've seen an increasing number of "boat pilots" screaming up the rivers lately. one of these days some kid is going to lose his life because of some moron. the only thing i can say is i hope some fisher gets the boat number of a rogue boat and reports it. >:(

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 11:15:02 PM »

I just don't understand why anyone needs to take a jet up the Vedder.  I have only fished it for the last two seasons but I can't think of any stretch of the river that you can't get to by vehicle and hiking.  I suppose there are sections on the "other" side of the river that have difficult access but wow.  I am thinking about the last time I was there and the crew of Kayakers that were floating down the river.  I can just see a jet cowboy plowing into one of them or some kid swimming  in the river.  There are plenty of rivers that justify the use of a jet but the Vedder is not one of them.   :(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 11:15:50 PM by Uncivil »
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 11:30:14 PM »

While there is no law against jet boats on the Vedder it would seem that owners of these expensive craft would have the sense to stay out of shallow rivers. Seeing that they don't have that sense, I'm happy to hear they wrecked their boats.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 12:42:34 PM »

Could not track down any pictures of this mishap this morning. :-[
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 08:48:16 PM by chris gadsden »

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 11:30:29 AM »

As for having my 20oz. ready...
My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.  Besides, you should only be concerned if you are operating your boat unsafely and without regards for others.  The jerk had 300 meters of room.  He didn't have to come within 100ft. of me at 40MPH.  Life on the water would be much nicer if we would be couteous to each other.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 06:38:18 PM »

Saw another boat coming down the Vedder Canal yesterday do not know how far he went up. Will be making some inquires when time permits to look at what should be done to control power boats above the Sumas at the Freeway Bridge.

What is the feeling of this forum. should power boats be banned in the Chilliwack/Vedder above the Sumas that joins the Vedder just downstream of the Freeway bridge.

Will await your valued comments to what you collectively feel should be attempted to be done.

Viking_Fish_God

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 09:30:34 PM »

Yes, banned for sure!!
Not just for fish or fisherman
But for all the people who enjoy a tranquil walk along the river.
Who needs a loud howling jet boat up the river.
There are plenty of other places for them to play.
i am sure its pretty stressful on the fish
VFG