Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Vedder techniques  (Read 9939 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Upper Vedder techniques
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »

I spend an afternoon observing techniques on the Upper Vedder trying to learn something new. What I learned was how to " legally " SNAG fish. Some call it sight fishing and others call it dipping but it is done with a snagging motion and a basically bare hook . It's done with a short leader and little or no cast. Most of the controversial methods involve long leaders , in other words, flossing but the technique I describe is not a sporting way to fish. Effective but not
sporting.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

zap brannigan

Re: Upper Vedder techniques
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »

thats been going on forever up there, especially around tamahi.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »

I call it "plunking" because you take a leader of 1 foot or less, put your float a bit longer than the depth behind the boulders and you don't do anything but plunk it behind the rock allowing it to get sucked out. any fish in the path of your hook will get hooked whether they tried to bite it or not.

NO I have not fished this way but I to study what others are doing and watch closely to their techniques. When doing this technique its obvious to tell the guys who also rip it while its in the pocket and guys who let it do its own thing. In the end they are basically doing the same however  ::)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:13:48 PM by Rodney »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »

It's spreading then because I observed this at Allison Pool and and at several places further up river.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Animal Chin

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »

The ripping is very annoying. I'd think about editing the post Hook, now everyone who reads knows the technique. It'd take me awhile to figure out how to floss even if I wanted to do it.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »

The flip and rip...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »

There just fly fishers with gear rods.  :o  I love when you go strike up a conversation with them.
"Hey hows the fishing? I see your doing well, what are you getting them to bite"
Oh just a little bit of blah blah blah, they were biting very good this afternoon blah blah ....

I love how all them snaggers think alike and look out for each other. No one says a word to each other when there bonking a fish with a hook in the back.
The Bigger The Better!

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »

The flip and rip...
The Vedder 2 step....
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 12:11:20 AM »

You put your Right foot in and take your Right foot out you do the Rip and Strip and coho all about  ;D >:( ;D

salmonrook

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »

I seen this  done just above the crossing as well, no  bait or wool on a 1 foot leader and rippppppp.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 06:56:18 AM »

It drove me nuts watching this group do it below allison pools on the sleese side...half the time their gear would be in the trees behind them then THEY MISSED THE FISH...it was brutal...I saw them drag fish up this 5 foot dyke and then kick them back down...flipping all the way.  I think they were either snagged coho or wild coho but considering they bonked a few I am sure were snagged, I think they were booting around wild fish. 

Center pins, expensive breathables, all the gear and these F******* are still nothing more than snaggers.  Sport fishing has to change, the average fisher on the river now a days is a pretty much just a rapist. 

The regs need to evolve to a point where flossing is no longer legal and snagging fish is once again deamed as a bad thing.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 07:28:12 AM »

You put your Right foot in and take your Right foot out you do the Rip and Strip and coho all about  ;D >:( ;D

Haha, good old rip and strip.
The Bigger The Better!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »

Is there any americans who use this site who could tell us if they have the same problem down south? What are your rules on this.
The Bigger The Better!

fishtruck

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:47 AM »

The DIP was very popular last year at Allison. They all had polarized sunglasses, short leaders, floats didn't seem to matter. Once the travel lane was determined they would spot their target fish and dip their "presentation" slightly ahead of the fish. When the hook got to a certain point they would use a "J'" motion to bring the hook either slightly in front of the fish or try to hook them anywhere in the head area(All said that if you hook  a fish in the head area you can keep it). If you miss, you would just walk with the fish and repeat the process. I watch a guy doing this all day, finally had to say something. Priceless reply, "I'm just having fun". Try telling him that if you short float, you can still catch fish, you just wouldn't be molesting them.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 09:18:05 AM »

I watch a guy doing this all day, finally had to say something. Priceless reply, "I'm just having fun".

Ya, but the fish weren't.