Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Vedder techniques  (Read 9938 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Upper Vedder techniques
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »

The regs need to evolve to a point where flossing is no longer legal and snagging fish is once again deamed as a bad thing.

Could'nt of said it better Gooey. The fines handed out to these Bozo's needs to be tripled and the number of enforcement officers needs to be quadrupled. Until we start making these loser's feel pain where it really hurts them ( in the wallet ) they'll continue to snub their noses at the law abiding fishermen/women watching these acts.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »

I personally find the technique boring, repetitive, and above all, not challenging at all.
When you remove the challenge out of a hobby, it stops being a hobby.

What I get most pleasure from is the chance bite of an unseen fish. It is always heart-stopping and keeps me coming back for more.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »

The DIP was very popular last year at Allison. They all had polarized sunglasses, short leaders, floats didn't seem to matter. Once the travel lane was determined they would spot their target fish and dip their "presentation" slightly ahead of the fish. When the hook got to a certain point they would use a "J'" motion to bring the hook either slightly in front of the fish or try to hook them anywhere in the head area(All said that if you hook  a fish in the head area you can keep it). If you miss, you would just walk with the fish and repeat the process. I watch a guy doing this all day, finally had to say something. Priceless reply, "I'm just having fun". Try telling him that if you short float, you can still catch fish, you just wouldn't be molesting them.

A very good description of the technique, fishtruck, of which a good buddy of mine is a sometimes practitioner. I don't get it, but our friendship survives and I love him like a brother...just a misdirected brother ;) He calls it short line flossing. Oddly enough, we will flyfish coho on other systems together, but on the C/V he often gravitates to this technique, usually in the boulder gardens downstream of the slab. Although he would be a purist as he tries to guide the hook into the fish's mouth  :)

I agree Milo. The technique is boring and repetitive.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:50:39 AM by clarki »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »

Because of so many losers using this technique it can turn damn near the entire river of fish off the bite. Especially prone are the coho as they travel up the river so quick and encounter multiple locations of the flip and rip occurring. Not hard to crack down on this technique as it is snagging because the fish is not biting the hook. A quick observation will tell you that the angler is attempting to snag fish which is illegal. Fine that person and move on to the next, sure would be easy to make a load of cash in ticket revenue. Maybe once the realization of the earning potential the ched system will have its own full time CO's
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »

One time under kieth wilson there was this one snagger who kept snagging everything so i guy had enough so he filled a bag full of water went on the bridge and litteraly drop it on the guy and a the same time he ripped and hit himself in the balls you guys should have seen how funny it was everyone was laughing.

sagerod

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »

right on gooey

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »

Ya, but the fish weren't.
Having just as much fun as the fish with the hook in the A SS

One time under kieth wilson there was this one snagger who kept snagging everything so i guy had enough so he filled a bag full of water went on the bridge and litteraly drop it on the guy and a the same time he ripped and hit himself in the balls you guys should have seen how funny it was everyone was laughing.

Haha right on
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:32:08 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »

Why don't we get a group off the forum together and toss out some bar rods in the bar holders  at Tamahi Rapids. Watch the snaggers faces in disgust, while we walk around picking up there garabage waiting for a bite.
The Bigger The Better!

sagerod

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »

sounds good I'll have my bell on the rod

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »

good old pocket flossers. i feel bad for new anglers that watch this and think this is the way to fish. to me thats the biggest problem.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

good old pocket flossers. i feel bad for new anglers that watch this and think this is the way to fish. to me thats the biggest problem.

Exactly
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 04:00:36 AM »

Is there any Americans who use this site who could tell us if they have the same problem down south? What are your rules on this.
I understand some US States that have a 3 foot leader restriction, work a foot to have it here but FOC reluctant to do so and then there is so many people that like it the way it is. I have said many times I should not have been part of getting sockeye open on the Fraser a few years ago. Will haunt me for the rest of my life. What a Beak I was.

Someone still thinks I am as wrote "Beak O Begone" on the Leaf Mobile yesterday. ;D Probably jealous of all the chum I was catching yesterday, had the feeling the coho season is drawing to a close but saw BTF getting some nice ones.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »

I have said many times I should not have been part of getting sockeye open on the Fraser a few years ago. Will haunt me for the rest of my life. What a Beak I was.

Don't have regrets Chris you shall be remembered for your many charitable actions, your wonderful teaching skills and for being a caring and kind human being. We all have made mistakes in life. If you have'nt you're not trying hard enough.  :)

A quote I read somewhere:

Mistakes are part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless its a fatal mistake, which, at least others can learn from.

fishtruck

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »

I don't understand why people fish this way? I've spent a lot of time trying to learn how to read the waters that I fish. Isn't that what fishing should be about? The challenge of finding that spot where, if everything is just right, you will be rewarded.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »

Mistakes are part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless its a fatal mistake, which, at least others can learn from.

Great quote, especially the last part.
Thanks for sharing.