Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nicomekl River Coho  (Read 8667 times)

smokedfish56

Nicomekl River Coho
« on: October 01, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »

Are there Coho in the Nicomekl, Serpentine and Little Campbell rivers now? If there is then can you suggest good methods to catch them there?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Nicomekl River Coho
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »

Float fishing roe or tossing spoons and spinners
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »

Fishing in the water rather than out is where I would start  ;D

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »

Used to be dew worms, no weight. Any others?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »

all the trout and most of the coho are wild and have to be released so doesn't make much sense to fish with bait. #3 Mepps for coho  Dick Nites can be just as affective. Even flies work well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »

Been there a couple times in the last two weeks.  Not much going on.  Algae, frog water.  Nothing showing or biting.

I'm gonna be spending my time further out in the valley where the runs are strong.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:54:05 PM »

all the trout and most of the coho are wild and have to be released so doesn't make much sense to fish with bait. #3 Mepps for coho  Dick Nites can be just as affective. Even flies work well.

not quite true on them being wild (coho).... these hatcheries just don't have the man power to clip fish !
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:55:55 PM by rjs »

zap brannigan

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 11:00:15 PM »

arent all coho to be clipped before release? didnt think they were aloud to release unclipped hatchery coho.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »

I know for sure Tynehead hatchery does not clip there fish ! they get clipped fish from another hatchery ! been told not enough volunteers !

salmonrook

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:27:50 AM »

Nicomekl has coho and chinook and you are allowed to keep 1 each per day.These are hatchery raised  and released out @ the headwaters in Langley at the enhancement society.These are clipped as these fish are provided to them from DFO.
 Have caught chinook ,coho and cutthroat in this flow.Subject to tidal flow above the dyke gates west of King George blvd.
It is muddier than some but the fish are still jumping tried to rid them selves of sea lice.They are roughly  only 2 miles out of the saltchuck .Spinners and spoons work best.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »

Nicomekl has coho and chinook and you are allowed to keep 1 each per day.These are hatchery raised  and released out @ the headwaters in Langley at the enhancement society.

You are allowed 1 hatchery marked coho. Clipped fish are not common and most of the fish (like 80%) I have caught since the hatchery began operation are not marked. Not marked = wild. All the cutthroat I have caught for the last 15 years + have been wild. AFAIK they do not stock cutts in the Nic and haven't for some time though I did catch some marked fish there back in the 70s. It's a little fragile stream and it needs a break. Still fishing with bait can kill up to 40% of released wild trout. Anglers who either don't know the regs or are mislead by others are just as dangerous. The last time I was there a guy caught a nice cutty dragged it on shore and asked me "can you still keep these things?" I suspect if I hadn't been there he would have killed it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »

These flows have some big fish.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »

Get out there and fish. Don't expect anyone to tell you much as these are fragile flows. Sorry to those that get frustrated with these kind of posts but keep it off the Internet, protect these fragile runs. You wanna know more about it? Get out there, fish and find out for yourself.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »

Again, if it has an adipose fit, it is considered WILD. 

End of story.