Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson (non) Opening  (Read 13556 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Thompson (non) Opening
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »

Saw this on another site (See below). Seems pretty clear that they are not going to open it this year.  Never fished this renowned flow before, but know (seen in previous boards) that it is contentious. Haven't they opened this fishery in the last few years? What makes this year any different?  Seems like it may even be a better Steelie year than last, which isn't saying much.

Also noticed that a few steelhead (presumably Thompson fish) have come through the Albion test fishery recently. Presumably those fish would have been killed. That seems problematic for such an endangered but important run.

Know that there are tons of knowledgeable people on this site so wondering what your take is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thompson Steelhead Angling Regulations for 2013

Dear Sir/Madam:

This letter is to inform you about the proposed changes to the management of the Thompson River steelhead catch & release sport fishery.

As you are well aware, adult Thompson River steelhead continue to return to the river in very low numbers although the trend data suggests numbers are stabilizing. While steelhead management is under the purview of the Province, some key factors believed to be influencing stock status are beyond our direct management control. We continue to work collaboratively with our federal partners to identify and address these factors.

With respect to the recreational steelhead fishery there will be no changes to current regulations this year. A proposal to modify the regulation of the fishery is being developed and is currently being reviewed by the Province, Department of Fisheries and Oceans and local First Nations, as part of the Steelhead science committee. We plan to provide opportunity for stakeholder review of proposed changes in the spring of 2014 prior to potential implementation for next year’s fishery season. This process is also being communicated to the Provincial Angling Advisory group. If you have any further questions regarding this process, please contact Michael Burwash, Section Head, Fish & Wildlife, Thompson Okanagan Region, at 250-371-6269.

We look forward to continuing to improve the management of this important local resource with your input.

Yours truly,

Michael Burwash,
Fish & Wildlife Section Head,
Thompson Okanagan Region

On behalf of Dan Petersen and Andrew Wilson

cc: Aaron Gillespie, Secwepemc Fisheries Commission
Andrew Wilson, Director of Fish and Wildlife
Dean Allan, DFO BCI

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Thompson (non) Opening
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »

The feeling I got in conversation at Spences Bridge a few days where the Regional director had conversation at the UBCM as few days ago with governmnet officals the feeling there could be an opening. I will be up there shortly and will seek an update. Also the word is a bait ban is coming into effect on the T. during steelhead timming.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:56:27 PM »

not sure where you are seeing that it seems clear they will not open it? I read that there will be no regulation changes this year, not that it will not open. Maybe they are referring to the bait ban Chris mentioned? Bait ban would be a great move imo, while keeping it open to both gear and fly.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:26 PM »

Thanks for the info Chris. Yes, a bait ban would make sense.

In response to Huenut I may be reading it wrong, but in the Freshwater Fishing Reg's wouldn't the section stating that the portion of the Thompson "below signs at the Kamloops lake outlet to the confluence with the Fraser River, October 1st to May 31 is closed to all fishing" have this portion closed from this Tuesday.  There is the Thompson specific section where it also states further stuff but qualifies this with (when open).

So as per usual the regs are confusing and not clear, but I'm guessing it's closed until opened as of Tuesday, Oct. 1st. 

But please anyone else chime in. It takes a lawyer to definitively figure out our fishing regulations.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »

The Thompson River always closes on October 1st until an in-season opening is announced when the run is determined to be above the requirement for an opening.

The letter is referring to the postponing of the possible regulation change (bait ban).

The regulations for the Thompson River are indeed quite confusing as they almost seem written to assume those who read them are already very familiar with this fishery. I'll take a look at this a bit more closely and make some recommendations at our year-end meeting to see improvements can be made.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »

I thought the proposed regulation change was to remove the "shotgun" opening?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »

Did they not say last year when it opened that it will continue to open on the same date this year also ?

I agree with Dion that the shotgun opening is pretty stupid. Last year I didn't hear about the opening until the day before it opened  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »

Just wondering but what do you guys find wrong with the "shot gun" opening?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »

Just wondering but what do you guys find wrong with the "shot gun" opening?

I very rarely fish the river, and have no opinion one way or another regarding the "shotgun" opening. I was simply bringing it up because I didn't think the bait ban "proposal" was that close to getting approved.

Last year I didn't hear about the opening until the day before it opened  >:(

I believe they only give 24 or 48 hours notice when they decide to open it.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »

I thought the proposed regulation change was to remove the "shotgun" opening?

Hasn't been addressed this year.

quill

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »

Last I heard there were a number of changes proposed for the T:

-Bait ban
-Open til closed Oct 01 until a determination is made that there are insufficient numbers of fish (end of Oct?)
-lower albion threshold from current 850 stlhd to 600

The last point has caused some dissension (edit: as has the first point).  ;D

I would expect the river to open shortly based upon the numbers of fish through Albion. (The typical peak of Thompson fish thru Albion is October 05th.) However this likely depends on whether the trend continues. Chilcotin fish are thought to be the first in the run timing thru Albion and this will likely have some bearing on the number crunching this year. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:36:33 PM by quill »

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 10:23:15 PM »

All the fish get beat on pretty hard on a opening like that

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »

All the fish get beat on pretty hard on a opening like that

Are you referring to my question earlier in this thread? They get beat on with any opening period...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »

Are you referring to my question earlier in this thread? They get beat on with any opening period...

The way I see it, a shotgun opening encourages a large group of anglers to go and hammer a bunch of fish that haven't seen any gear yet in the season. Therefore, most fish will be caught by those anglers who know what they are doing on opening day, some more than once.

If it is open until closed, it will just be another flow that anglers are free to explore whenever they want. There may or may not be fish when they go, but the idea is that it wont be as fresh in the angler's mind than would be when all the tackle shops, forums, and angling community is talking about the Thompson opening soon.

I subscribe to this belief, as I know personally I don't think about fishing the Thompson much until I hear of an opening.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »

The way I see it, a shotgun opening encourages a large group of anglers to go and hammer a bunch of fish that haven't seen any gear yet in the season. Therefore, most fish will be caught by those anglers who know what they are doing on opening day, some more than once.

If it is open until closed, it will just be another flow that anglers are free to explore whenever they want. There may or may not be fish when they go, but the idea is that it wont be as fresh in the angler's mind than would be when all the tackle shops, forums, and angling community is talking about the Thompson opening soon.

I subscribe to this belief, as I know personally I don't think about fishing the Thompson much until I hear of an opening.

exactly