Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson (non) Opening  (Read 13557 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Thompson (non) Opening
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »

shotgun opening or not people always find out earlier when its opening so getting the day or a few days off never seems to be an problem, especially for those in the Steelhead Society
ouch ;D

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »

ouch ;D
Are you for real ? You think if your on the board of ssbc directors you get privelaged info?
I think you need to join the ssbc and see for yourself james.

Sorry dave,  I meant to quote james not you.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »

I would join if I had the time to attend meetings which I don't  :'(

I wasn't trying to call out the SSBC members. I apologize if I offended some or all of you

I have though always wondered how all these people find out about these openings weeks in advance. Most of them being members so I assumed which I apologize for here publicly. I don't mind being wrong, I would however really like to know how people find out this info before everyone else.

Jim - I made an assumption under the basis that it seemed a lot of guys I know are members or at least pay a membership fee seem to find this stuff out early. I also know several don't do any kind of volunteer work with habitat restoration or what have you. You know in the past I have put my name in to help you with some river volunteer work only to have to pull out near the date. FB me about upcoming ones and I will do my best to be there to help, I would enjoy giving back and when they are old enough have my sons do the same (if they are into fishing of course)

again I apologize for being a dumbass  :-[
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

quill

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

Region 3 regularly emails out status updates re Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead to a long list of people. (You might have seen them, sometimes Rod posts them here, sometimes on other boards.) Oftentimes, within these reports, the regional biologist states that the river is expected to open on a certain date but that official confirmation should be obtained from the Fish and Wildlife website. Frequently there is a time lag between when the Regional status report is released and the government website is updated--hence the appearance that some people know of the openings in advance.

You can always ask the Regional Biologist to be added to his status reports list.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »

No one knew in advance as when  was in SB last week I was told a meeting was being held last Wedneday to decide.

Of course anglers that checks the test fishery results saw above numbers being taken so then one would fiqure an opening was coming as it did.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:20:44 PM by chris gadsden »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »

Thanks Quill. I will look into having my name added to the list. The would like to get myself more involved. Young kids and a wife that works evenings does make it difficult however

Chris - guess I need to start paying attention to the test netting more. I normally don't bother to look because I know the approximate run timings for the places I frequent and species I want to catch  :)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 01:58:49 PM »

Some people can tell when a fishery is going to open just by doing your research,  there tends to be a pattern.....
So this goes with experience,  50% of my fishing time is not fishing,  I learned the way long before the internet.
Im old school and dont like to give things up easly,put in your time and earn your stripes.

I missed many family ,fishing outings just to do a project to help the fish,  heck some of the rivers I work on I don't even fish any more , just do it to give back and enjoy doing it.

When it comes to hunting or fishing i'm ready at the drop of a hat.......trust me its not easy with a business and famiy.

BTW,  I have not fished the Thompson since 2009 , tired of the greed and lack of respect up there , just wanna remember it the way it was .

kanuckle head

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 11:38:31 PM »

tired of the greed and lack of respect up there , just wanna remember it the way it was .

Very sad indeed, I too will only want to remember the way it was ( haven't fished the T since the late 90's ) in hopes of one day the runs will bounce back & stabilize instead of this mismanagement.........

http://ariverneversleeps.com/lethal-gear/

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »

Hey Jim I want to get involved in some volunteer work for the Thompson. I am in Kamloops so either the Thompson itself or the North and South even. Do you know who I can get a hold of in my area? I have been doing some research but can't find anything in regards to the interior. Doesn't even have to be the Thompson I guess. Any sort of river volunteer situation in the interior I'm interested in. I have run a lot of heavy equipment in my working career, not sure if that helps. Sorry not trying to derail the thread. You or anyone with info can email me at derekerlandson@live.com.

Thanks for any help
Derek
always a student

quill

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »

Hi Derek,

I realize you're asking Jim but he lives in New West and may not have a handle on local initiatives. Like you, I live in Kamloops and have been involved in fisheries issues here for decades, off and on.

Given our current political climate, there's not a lot of money for habitat restoration. You might consider contacting the Shuswap Fisheries Commission, the Steelhead Society of BC, Ducks Unlimited, and/or Ministry of Environment et al and offer your talents.

There's always great events like the great Canadian shoreline clean up, rivers day, and a host of others that beg for involvement.

It's always nice to see people like you willing to get involved.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »

Very sad indeed, I too will only want to remember the way it was ( haven't fished the T since the late 90's ) in hopes of one day the runs will bounce back & stabilize instead of this mismanagement.........

http://ariverneversleeps.com/lethal-gear/

Brutal article. The only reasonable part is the part where he says open it right from the start and make a decision part way through the season.

The whole "gear fisherman bleed whatever they catch" is just plain nonsense. There are just as many fly guys that mistreat fish as gear guys that mistreat fish. The whole point of the article saying that gear fisherman have a higher catch and release impact on steelhead than fly guys is just plain nonsense too. Fly guys for the most part baby the heck out of their fish, therefore they take twice as long to land fish and this means a more exhausted fish likely to die. I realize not all fly guys do this (I don't), but you cannot argue the fact that it does take longer to land a fish on the fly than on gear, period.

I'd also like to point out in the past 5 years of fishing, I have never had a bleeder on roe/bait. I have only ever had 2 fish swallow roe/bait (both were chinook, never a steelhead). I have had many fish (steelhead included) swallow flies - especially those with stinger hooks, and have had a large handful of bleeders on both flies and spoons. I even had a steelhead bleeder on a dry fly this summer that was hooked deep. The other evil is those fly fisherman fishing classic patterns up there with 1/0 streamer hooks or larger, which cause considerable damage to fish (much like a large spoon hook which I have gone away from now).

Leave it open to everything, or close the whole river down. End of story.