Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most memorable fishing experience  (Read 15611 times)

otto

Re:Most memorable fishing experience
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2004, 07:10:37 PM »

oh man you must been running fer your life after that!!! ;D

markyboy

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2004, 07:16:11 PM »

It's a toss up for me between a few different occasions, funnily enough some of the things that come to mind for me aren't the biggest or most fish landed trips, it's been other things....

* Trip to Painter's Lodge last year with my family and watching my son land a huge Spring.
* Catching mackerel with a spin rod setup on Chesil Beach in the South of England. Normally I used to beachcast for mackerel with feathers and pull them in 3 or 4 at a time. One day they came in so close I was able to switch tackle and landed fish after fish on ultra light spinning gear.
* Landing a 16lb carp out of a small pond the UK - my biggest fish at that point by about 15 lbs and I still remember the panic in getting the fish into the net, and the bend in the rod.
* and lastly, a trip with my buddies when we were about 14. We all jumped on our bicycles and set off across the Tay Road Bridge  in search of some serious fishing. The weather was glorius, we caught a few fish and explored the coast all day stopping to find bait, and then fish before moving on.

Slayer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 08:47:20 PM »

25poundsmiley, you can catch blue sharks in bc? ???. where?

25poundSmiley

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2004, 09:07:08 PM »

25poundsmiley, you can catch blue sharks in bc? . where

Slayer, yes you can catch blue sharks between Tofino and Ahouset...but i am sure they are pretty much anywhere deep on the Pacific Coast.  The fishermen I worked with used to carry guns to shoot them as they would come after the salmon that were caught in the trolling nets. They were more of a pest than something sporty to catch....the ones we on occasion caught  we probably about 6 ft long and up to 80 pounds....like dogfish, they're not very heavy for their length. The odd thresher shark would be around as well as tons and tons of dogfish.

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2004, 09:16:42 PM »

threshers are a pain in the neck >< been to cali once... once the wrap their tails around ur line ur pretty much screwed. even if you have superlines.

jt

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2004, 10:20:30 PM »

"1187 LBS, 21' long, 3' wide at the belly"

what an insane story!

otto

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2004, 10:32:12 PM »

yo JT...yea that lake is deep..........there is several spots that exceed 1500 feet............the sturgeon there get HUGE!! , although in the last ten years that is'nt the case.

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2004, 11:04:48 PM »

at first i thought to myself, you must have been going after godzilla. then i saw the word lake... i thought it was for ogopogo... but after reading.... no idea it was all about a strugeon.. lol

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2004, 08:43:40 AM »

The first rainbow I caught on my very own hand tied fly!  That was cool.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 08:36:56 PM »

mine was   when I was 10 or 12   in surrey on  the old pier and   I caught a sweet 3 foot   sturgeon     asked the people around me  what I should    do. did not know too much about fish then   so I let it go.    at that time it was retention over 3 feet

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2004, 09:09:52 PM »

Hi otto, no the old boy was more mad at my uncle who thought the issue was hilarious, at first I thought I was going to be murderd, but not ,Dad didn't say much about it, guess he felt sorry for me.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 06:00:21 AM »

Have to say one of many memorable trips stands out and it always will. And as this is fishing the Cap time there's no better time for a Capperooo. I was with my brother Tim about 6 or 7 years ago fishing the Cap, nothing going on, no fish, the other five fishermen had left, it was about 7PM. Well at 7:30 all hell breaks loose. The planet's must all of been aligned perfectly because we started catching coho after coho. We both ran out of roe and started picking up discarded roe and
using it and still caught fish. This continued till dark and
we had to leave but the final tally  was 38 coho for Tim and 29 for myself, give or take a digit here or there. A night we will never ever forget, great fun.  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2004, 09:55:51 PM »

May have posted this before some where.

Back in the 1960, July 20th to be exact ( just checked my log book I started in 1958) when I was still 16 years old my aunt and uncle took me and my cousin to look at the birds on Middlenatch Island off Powell River. While touring the Island saw hundreds of coho chasing herring almost on to the rocks.

I rushed back to the boat ( did not tell any of the others as I had learnt early never to ask others where you caught them, find your own spots  ;D)  got my spinning rod with a knobbly wobbler on it. I imagine most of you have never heard of them but I found them deadly for cut's as well. They were made by Lure Jensen and are not manufactured now. I remember I bought a full card of them 20 years ago, the last time I saw them for sale.

Back to the story. On the first cast where I had first seen them I saw 3 or 4 coho chasing the spoon but no hook up. Next cast fish on and to the beach a coho around 6 to 7 pounds.

Excitment to a 16 year old. Hey I would be excited if I saw that even today. ;D Back to the rest of them to show it off.

As my cousin did not have a spinning rod out in the boat in a hurry.

This is no fish story. You could hardly see the bottom for the swimming mass of coho.

#2 knobby's (what a name for a lure) quickly attached with a couple of split shots for weight.

In no time we were into fish and my cousin even got a spring about 15 to 18 pounds. I believe we limited out and came back the next day and got more. My log book shows I got 7 in the two days not sure what the limit in those days was. We were back for a third day but they were gone just like they are now. Why have we lost those teeming runs of coho that we once had?

I guess overfishing (maybe we were guilty too) polluting our waterways, an over population of seals and seal lions and the big one the loss of so many fish bearing streams. The jury is still out if the hatcheries are causing problems but this idea does not get my vote even if it is a uneducated one.

You residents of Vancouver would be able to list the numbers I am sure of all these small streams lost to developement including covering them in with fill and the use of closed in culverts and loss of the precious spawning gravel the returning spawning pairs so badly require to continue the runs.

Many of you are working to bring some of these lost streams back and should all be applauded for your work.

However some are gone forever in the name of so called progress.

I am getting to long winded I am sure for Fish A. but my other memorable experience was mooching and landing a 50 pound Spring in 1986 in Alberni Inlet. Will leave the story for another day as hope to have another adventure tomorrow as time to return to the flow after being away from it for 6 days as we have been swimming in water in our own house after the pipe broke spreading an inch of water to some of the rooms. I have felt like a fish the last couple of days.  ;D ;D

The dryers are now going so I will roll out somewhere tomorrow. The Fraser is in full freshet now, which I knew would happen as Leaf Craft is nearly out of sick bay.

I will find somewhere to fish and have a good feeling for my second chinook of the season somewhere, Middlenatch Island? ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:02:20 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2004, 10:03:11 PM »

Hockey season is over. Time to renamed your Leafcraft to the Lionscraft as we roll to another Grey Cup in November
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:03:51 PM by Fish Assassin »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2004, 10:06:24 PM »

Got to like it F.A.

Roar You Lions Roar