Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most memorable fishing experience  (Read 15618 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Most memorable fishing experience
« on: June 05, 2004, 03:21:24 PM »

This may have been posted before, but I'm not sure.

We've all been fishing for some time now and have collected a vast list of memories and experiences during our time on the water, and for the newbies just getting into fishing, it won't take long before you get some great memories and experiences out of the sport.

What is your most memorable experience while fishing ? (first fish, biggest fish...etc)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re:Most memorable fishing experience
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:58:36 PM »

I think it just might be the picture on the left of this post.  My one and only steel to date - A wild beauty.  I knew where she'd be holding and hunted her down...It was great!  You can tell by my smile  ;D

25poundSmiley

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 04:01:50 PM »

Caught a mola mola (sunfish) about 200 pounds one year during the el nino current. never caught one of those previous, let alone see one. i too, had a cupcakes-eating grin.

Randog

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »

Lil' Randogs first fish (caught by himself), a Stave river chum at age 5. He was quite excited and droped the fish back in the water with the hook still firmly embeded in its mouth. After a quick chase down the rocky beach I managed to get the rod back before it went Bye Bye ;D

Then after that we were fishing for pink salmon from my boat at the mouth of the Vedder R. in the Fraser R. Lil' Randog was casting a Blue Fox spinner and was getting fish on almost every cast. I think that turned him into a believer ;D

I'm trying to groom him into a true fisherMAN,  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 04:12:08 PM by Randog »

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 04:45:17 PM »

I started the thread and didn't even reply to it...hehe

My most memorable fishing moment was when my dad and I visited a lodge in the Queen Charlotte Islands, we'd never been to anything like it before. We were able to get a great deal for the two of us to get up there. We had a guide and showed us how to rig up and fish effectively. We were there for 2 and a half days, and were the only guests to get a tyee each, I got a 31 lb fish, but dad had to beat me by a pound with a 32lb fish. When we laft the lodge, neither of us wanted to go at all. I left with more than a memory, I was to work there the following summer. All in all, an absolute kick-a$$ trip.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 04:54:39 PM »

One memorable fish was a big cutty on the Alouette,broke my new 4 peice graphite travle rod(great on the bike) was funny tryin to fight a fish with 1/2 a rod in the water ;D

FishKid

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 09:29:06 PM »

I've had many memorable fishing experiences,  but this one beats them all.  Last year in early september me and my friend went to the vedder for the day and everyone was catching pinks and one guy caught an early chum.  Not to mention, the water was low and the fire ban was still in place.

On every cast I was catching pinks and then suddenly I hook into a fish and I knew that it wasn't a pink.  The fish just took off into the air and it was a white spring in the 35-50 pound range, anyways, it was huge.  What's even more amazing is that I  landed it on a 10 pound leader and 15 pound mainline.  The 15 pound mainline part isn't so amazing but the 10 pound leader is. well atleast I think so. ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 09:32:30 PM by Robert »

Slayer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 07:36:53 AM »

Caught a mola mola (sunfish) about 200 pounds one year during the el nino current. never caught one of those previous, let alone see one. i too, had a ****-eating grin.

Did it take your bait. where did you catch it. idd it fight ;)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 08:03:56 AM »

another one was sturgeon fishing from slaughterhouse bar, was,what else, collecting lost lead n stuff when I turned around to check my rod in the distance. :o No Rod! Oh crap.Ran back down the dike and down the rip rap to my holder-nothing,finally spotted my rod halve in the water caught up on a branch! grabed it and made a hook set-Bam right in the center of the river a fairly massive fish erupted with a spash,taking me for a good drag down the beach before breaking off.I allways regret not seeing my rod actually fly out of its holder,must have been a sight.

jt

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 05:18:09 PM »

For me it has to be long lining west of Triangle Island. long days and hard work but an awesome experience for a prarie boy. We were fishing for snapper and later halibut but in addition to catching these we caught lots of dog fish, the odd salmon, a couple wolf eels, ling cods, 2 octopus (one ~30lb another 50+ lb), rat fish and i think some others but can't really remember. we would steam for about an hour west from the island starting before sun up and fish right to sun down then steam back and anchor for the night.

I don't know the area but it's north of Vancouver island not quite to the Queen Charlotte Islands. this is the other area we fished. we would anchor at some island for the night and as often as i could i would sit on deck with a cup of tea before bed and just take it all in. Awesome beauty is the only way i can describe what i experienced without writing a book. though i am no seaman i did lean how to stear and navigate as like everyone else on the boat i had to take my turn at the wheel. we also made a few trips through the inside passage ( Vancouver to Port Hardy ). all i can say about this is if you have never been, you should make the time. I have spent a great deal of time out doors in southern Saskatchewan, central and norther Alberta, north east BC and a little time in the NWT. all very beautiful but the west coast is special. this region has an increadible capacity for life and variety of.

jt.

(sry....not trying to hijack)
btw Rodney.....i saw your personal section and kudos to you for using the web in such a great way with you field of study. I moved to the west coast to study marine ecology and when i started the internet was just becoming a public forum. a friend and myself started making a taxinomical database that could be used online. this project turned into another then another and before i knew it, i was no longer in school and just working with technology. At the same time another friend who was studying environmental sciences made a database for a project and ultimately dropped his studies to work with computers. He's a millionare now.

otto

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 06:30:58 PM »

my best experience was when i was a kid, and had bought a new rod and spinning reel and some silver spinners. went fishing at the lake (Kootenay Lake) off of a dock in the evening. the lake was a mirror, except for the thousands of Kokanee fish jumping on the surface. i cast out and got a 3 lb kokanee that took me about 5 minutes to get in. gawd i miss the kootenays!!!! ;D

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 06:39:18 PM »

man i have EVER so many lol... *that phrase sounds so good in my head* lol

my nearest one ... as many of you may have known... was that my 12ft shimano rod was trolled into the water and never recovered... may it rest in peace  :'(

anyways... the 1st fish is always 1 of the most memorable... umm wat eles.... oh when i caught a dead dogfish that had like 3 sea stars feeding on it that was pretty cool.... hmm what eles oh heres my fav.

this chinese tourest once came to the pier with these 2 ladies. the lady asked the man... what im fishing for. because of my slim and light action fenwick rod. the guy quickly replied to the woman.. that i was a kid and i have no idea what i was doing. this was of corse said in canto... but because im half and half. they had no idea i understood every word that came out of their mouths... next the guy came near me and started taking picture holding my equipment while i was preparing my set up etc... after i very politly asked him to move out of my space. i fired my line out there and landed a bullhead. the woman then quickly rushed in with the man and asked me in english "what kind of fish is this" then i replied in canto... *translation* "like you said, i dont know how to fish, how would i know?" the man was in complete shock and he quickly backed off and embarrassingly walked back to his car... i think that was the funniest one yet :D

25poundSmiley

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 06:54:13 PM »

Did it take your bait. where did you catch it. idd it fight

i caught it when i worked on a troller in the late 80's. i was just a kid but was casting off the boat while we were packing up for the day with a pink hoochie to see if i could goof around and catch either a sockeye, a blue shark that was coming up to surface for old bait that we were throwing away, or maybe even some basking sharks that were all over the place at that time. the mola mola took my hootchie as it was very close to the surface of the water. it didn't fight at all....it was like dragging in a massive log. it actually looked so 'cute' i tried to unhook it right away and drop it back into the water. they don't really swim...it doesn't really have a tail, just massive dorsal and anal fins so it sort of glides really slowly in the water. their teeth are similar to those of parrot fish.

otto

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 07:01:25 PM »

i must add another report to my experience...(this is back in the late 70's (i was eight) when it was legal to use a winch and huge shark hooks for sturgeon fishing, and you could keep them too) .

The same week i caught my first kokanee (fish), one of the old duffers at the Gray Creek General store (hiway 3a, south of crawford bay), was phoning everyone to come down to the boat ramp behind the store. One of the locals had been out all night, fishing 1500 yards of 500 LB test stainless braided line, with a barbed shark hook about the size of a two liter bottle of cola, a 10LB downrigger ball and a dead rotten chicken for bait. he had rowed out about 1000 yards out and dropped the weight/hook and bait into the water and when it hit the bottom(that lake is freaky deep) he attached a couple of 5 gallon pails with lids for  floats. he then rowed back and spliced his line into the winch line on his Dodge.  about 0530 hours, the floats started moving and then disapeared. he fired up the truck and roared off the boat ramp and up the hill to set the hook. he then had gotten out and felled a tree with the chainsaw, to block the wheels. he turned on the winch (the first WARN winch made!!) and started hauling the line in. took awhile but he had caught the biggest white sturgeon in Kootenay lake. when we all got down to the dock, there it was. after weighing and measuring (1187 LBS, 21' long, 3' wide at the belly), the sturgeon was dragged back into the lake with a boat and released. it slowly swam off and then sped away.
i'm trying to get ahold of some old neighbours in the kootenays to get a picture.    

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 07:08:25 PM »

back when I was about 8years old,my dad and uncle finaly allowed me to go down to the river fishing with them.As was and still is the way the workers on the estate( this was in Scotland)were allowed to fish on the Duke's water only on a Wednesday evening.as the water was below a certain level they had to fish with the Fly(juviniles were allowed still to fish using worms)Dad decided to show me how to "tick tock" cast. as usual coaching was fairly vocal ie:pay attention to the timing watch your back cast after a while I was considerd competent enough to be allowed to have a go on my own while they sat on the bank to have a smoke and give me pointers.by this time I'm bored my arm is tired and I was having trouble keeping my back cast high so as not to drag the fly into the high grass.My dad seeing this decided to come over and take the rod from me. just as I made another vain attempt to keep the backcast up,not checking my back cast I felt the some resistance being tired and a bit put out I gave an extra tug of the rod (I thought I had tagged the grass again)then the oaths started I HAD HOOKED MY FIRST 150 POUNDER RIGHT BEHIND THE EAR."The old Boy"
took a while to appreciate that day I do now Dad is 78 and does not fish now"ALWAYS WATCH YOUR BACK CAST" still rings in my head even today.  
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!