Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 1st 2013  (Read 6105 times)

Derp

• Tight lines!
Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 1st 2013
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 08:58:51 PM »

Just being realistic....A fish looking like that would never be acceptable for market fare. Unreal how defensive you are over your pinky. I'm just curious what you did to your fish to make it look like it had the crap beat out of it.

Maybe he bonked on torso by accident as it flopped?
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 09:10:47 PM »

Just being realistic....A fish looking like that would never be acceptable for market fare. Unreal how defensive you are over your pinky. I'm just curious what you did to your fish to make it look like it had the crap beat out of it.

I think that's just how pinks look when the water of the Fraser is warm.
They look emaciated and tired.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »

It looks like you stepped on them...especially the one on the left.

I'm sure you are well aware that was a snarky comment.  You know what thumper says... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs

Robert_G

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »

I'm sure you are well aware that was a snarky comment.  You know what thumper says... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs

Alright....maybe I'm trying to stir the pot a bit....but I'm also being serious.
I've been bonking salmon on the Fraser in summer for over 30 years.
The fish on the left that I mentioned isn't worth dog food.

Pink salmon need extra care even on top of what other salmon require because their flesh isn't as firm. That is a fact. Pinks need to be taken home immediately or at least put on ice right away. The fish in that picture never saw ice or even a cooler with an ice pack. It sat on the shore....possibly in the shade, but that is irrelevant since the outdoor temperatures were hovering mid to high 20s. At best they sat in the slightly cooler water, but in that case they are now poached and soft. The obvious wrinkles on the left fish is something I've seen hundreds of times in the summer on fish left out sitting on the bank in the sun and some even in the shade after a few hours. That fish has been in the heat too long.....period. It did not cool off properly. It just goes to show how few people know how to properly care for the meat they slaughter. Should I have an issue with this? Yes....because even though it seems the fish went home and got eaten.....chances are most of it will end up in the trash cause it taste like dog food.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 12:01:37 AM »

Thats a nice looking fish , id keep that doe anyday . I got fish i leave in water on hot days for more than a 6 hours sometimes plus a drive home . I dont taste a difference , i eat fish after rigor mortis anyways , hot weather speeds it up i think

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 12:34:52 AM »

x 2. Good looking doe and buck. He said he only fished 2 hours. I know that spot has great shade with trees along the shore blocking the sun. So nothing wrong with fish kept in shady spot in water for less than 2 hours. Such attack on a member willing to share his priced catch with us is uncalled for. Good job bbron.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 05:35:19 AM »

Alright....maybe I'm trying to stir the pot a bit....but I'm also being serious.
I've been bonking salmon on the Fraser in summer for over 30 years.
The fish on the left that I mentioned isn't worth dog food.

Pink salmon need extra care even on top of what other salmon require because their flesh isn't as firm. That is a fact. Pinks need to be taken home immediately or at least put on ice right away. The fish in that picture never saw ice or even a cooler with an ice pack. It sat on the shore....possibly in the shade, but that is irrelevant since the outdoor temperatures were hovering mid to high 20s. At best they sat in the slightly cooler water, but in that case they are now poached and soft. The obvious wrinkles on the left fish is something I've seen hundreds of times in the summer on fish left out sitting on the bank in the sun and some even in the shade after a few hours. That fish has been in the heat too long.....period. It did not cool off properly. It just goes to show how few people know how to properly care for the meat they slaughter. Should I have an issue with this? Yes....because even though it seems the fish went home and got eaten.....chances are most of it will end up in the trash cause it taste like dog food.

Just because you have 30 years of doing things one way, does not mean it is the only way to do things. Those fish look fine, may just need a bit of a rinse from the silt.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 05:53:44 AM »

Here is one we got this season, bonked and placed on a block of ice.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:21:56 PM by DionJL »

bluenoser

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »

Im pretty sure spinner guy as he's called himself in the past knows what is table worthy and how to keep it that way. The fish to me looked like they have already been gutted so dont have that full appearance of an uncleaned fish.
What you missed in the picture was the nude sunbathers on the opposite shore.....sturgeon fishing!

Bluenoser

JPW

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »

Pink salmon need extra care even on top of what other salmon require because their flesh isn't as firm. That is a fact. Pinks need to be taken home immediately or at least put on ice right away.

While I don't definitively know the condition of the Pinks in the picture, I do agree that extra care makes the difference.  I have posted before asking about how people care for their catch and most seem content that as long as it's in the shade or in the water it's fine.  My way of thinking is that once it's dead it's starting to decompose.  The blood is the first to "go bad", it's why you need to bleed your catch/kill.  My understanding is that putting it on ice slows decomp and stops the bacteria and parasites in the guts from abandoning ship and entering the meat as a result of the warming temperatures.  Personally, I bleed and clean and put on ice.  I believe that is the reason that I've often had people ask what kind of salmon they were enjoying when joining me for a BBQ.  They can't believe it's Pink.  In fact the number one response is, "but I thought Pink was mushy?"  I can't help but think that the quality of fish I retain and the prep I put into the fish immediately after dispatching is what makes the difference.  Of course YMMV.

Robert_G

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 04:46:50 PM »

While I don't definitively know the condition of the Pinks in the picture, I do agree that extra care makes the difference.  I have posted before asking about how people care for their catch and most seem content that as long as it's in the shade or in the water it's fine.  My way of thinking is that once it's dead it's starting to decompose.  The blood is the first to "go bad", it's why you need to bleed your catch/kill.  My understanding is that putting it on ice slows decomp and stops the bacteria and parasites in the guts from abandoning ship and entering the meat as a result of the warming temperatures.  Personally, I bleed and clean and put on ice.  I believe that is the reason that I've often had people ask what kind of salmon they were enjoying when joining me for a BBQ.  They can't believe it's Pink.  In fact the number one response is, "but I thought Pink was mushy?"  I can't help but think that the quality of fish I retain and the prep I put into the fish immediately after dispatching is what makes the difference.  Of course YMMV.

Well said. In this weather, if you catch a salmon......you cannot put it even in the shade and fish for 2 more hours and expect a good meal. The fish is ruined. I fail to see how people don't get this. A summer caught salmon (especially pink) needs to be put in the cooler with an ice pack or on ice right after it is caught and bled. No exceptions....unless you live really close by and take your fish home right after you bonk and bleed it.

Too many hunters are just the same. Shoot a moose on opening day (Aug 15th).....25 degrees C, meat doesn't get cooled for several hours....perhaps even a day after the kill....the whole moose sits on top of the truck all the way from Fort St John to the valley..and then these hunters scratch their heads wondering why everyone they know and shared the meat with is turned off game meat.
Salmon are no different. Pinks aren't my favorite fish, but they aren't terrible if a really fresh fish is handled well and cooked properly...but when I see Pinks like the one displayed by the 3rd poster in this thread.....it is no wonder they have the bad reputation they do. Completely inedible.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:49:05 PM by Robert_G »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »

I dont need to justify anything but since Robert is an expert I will enlighten him. Bonked, cleaned, put in the shade. Got home filleted them, vacuum sealed them and put them in the freezer for smoking. I am 40 years old next year and have been fishing most of my life. Those fish were nice and firm even after getting home and vacuum sealing them.

My suggestion to you is to ask questions instead of just making assumptions.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:22:23 PM by DionJL »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »

This got ridiculously silly for a bunch of grown men.

Bryan, you posted photos of fish that looked "less than appealing" (to phrase it nicely). You've been on the forums long enough to know that the photo wasn't going to be well received, especially from a senior member. Then when you Robert called you on it, you took the bait, hook, line and sinker. You fed the troll, then did it again with Damien.

Robert, look what you started. You may not of seen what transpired, but I had to cut the thread in half and move all the name-calling to the Deleted section. Can't you just play nice?

Damien, what did you accomplish with your Van Dam comment?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:35:42 PM by DionJL »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 06:49:46 PM »

give me a bit of credit Dion, I think I was pretty effective at diffusing it myself  ;)

of course I cant just delete it all like you can. where is this deleted section you speak of ?  ???
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 07:25:10 PM »

Damien, what did you accomplish with your Van Dam comment?

Levity, I accomplished levity.

Here is a peace offering;