Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spin casting for Tidal Fraser Salmon  (Read 9857 times)

smokedfish56

Spin casting for Tidal Fraser Salmon
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »

In October and November I plan to hit up some of the Lower Fraser bars and cast spoons for Coho, Spring and Chum. Do any of you guys get fish doing this? I'm still new to the Fraser River. Coming from the Skeena system we could get Springs with spoons but the water has much better visibility than the Fraser I've noticed. Would I be better off bar fishing or casting lures in the Tidal Fraser River?

Thanks

1son

Re: Spin casting for Tidal Fraser Salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »

You will have success with both just find a nice bar to fish and try different techniques,you'll never know unless you do a bit of trial and error find out what works for you soon enough you'll be into fish in no time.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »

Casting and retrieving spoons and spinners is a lot of fun in October when chinook, coho, chum salmon, bull trout, cutthroat trout are running through in the Tidal Fraser River. The water will be much clearer than now, visibility should be around 3ft or more by then (unless it pours big time up north). I like to do both. Some days I prefer to sit with the rod and just watch the tip tapping away when a school of fish goes by. Other days I prefer to be mobile by casting and retrieving. Both methods are productive, both have their own pros and cons, depending on where you are fishing.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2012/10/09/opening-success-in-the-tidal-fraser-river/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2010/10/13/a-spectacular-ending/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/10/12/triple-spectacular-tidal-fraser-outings-on-thanksgiving/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2008/11/09/a-very-wet-battle/

smokedfish56

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »

Thanks Rodney,  How is the Tidal Fraser fishing in November? Chum come up the river and are my favorite fighting fish. Are they fairly easy to get?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »

Surprisingly, chum salmon are much harder to catch than coho salmon in the Tidal Fraser River. There isn't a shortage of them, but they are just not too willing to bite when moving through.

lyshon

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »

Tried spoon and spinners for chum. No luck. Roe seems to work. This was 2 years ago at lower Fraser. Scented bait opening usually after October 1st.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »

Scented bait opening usually after October 1st.

No, the dates for Tidal Fraser River's seasonal bait ban are not set. They vary each year depending on the run timing of interior coho and steelhead runs. I'd keep an eye on http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html#all to see when the dates are. It'll be included in the fishery notice when pink salmon fishery reopens.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »

Even Rodney is starting to sound optimistic.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »

Thanks Rodney,  How is the Tidal Fraser fishing in November? Chum come up the river and are my favorite fighting fish. Are they fairly easy to get?

Use pink and purple jigs in the Fraser tribs.

Good times every fall - broke a rod last year on a huge buck.
Buddy says the tip was about a foot from the cork when it broke.

bcguy

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »

In October and November I plan to hit up some of the Lower Fraser bars and cast spoons for Coho, Spring and Chum. Do any of you guys get fish doing this? I'm still new to the Fraser River. Coming from the Skeena system we could get Springs with spoons but the water has much better visibility than the Fraser I've noticed. Would I be better off bar fishing or casting lures in the Tidal Fraser River?

Thanks

You will have good results fishing for Coho on the tidal Fraser with brass spinners, but like Rodney said, for some reason, Chum just wont respond to offerings, now having said that I was quite shocked last fall during a Coho expedition, when I had a Chum, a bright silver doe hammer my offering, so they are definately there, but I have never taken a Chinook on a spoon in the Tidal fraser from the shore.

Cheers
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

smokedfish56

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:39:08 AM »

Will my 9ft medium heavy spinning rod be appropriate for this fishery? 25lb fishing line?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 07:07:23 AM »

The rod should be plenty for something like Chum but the line is maybe too heavy for casting if regular monofilament.
I usually fish 12-15 lb main line on my Fraser spinning reel.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »

Make you wonder why spinners and spoons don't work for chum in the main stem of Fraser. They do hit spinners in the clearer tributaries. I wonder if they have poor eye sight in the more murky Fraser. Do the purple and pink jigs work in the Fraser?

Animal Chin

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »

I caught a female chum last year on the north arm with my last piece of roe..real dire straits last year with roe. I've caught a few actually on roe bar fishing the lower fraser but never seen anyone catch them on gear...Fire engine red pautzke's roe, lots of scent, chemicals.

I tried floating a purple jig when I saw many surfacing close to shore one day bar fishing. Tried for a while, nothing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:23:51 PM by Animal Chin »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 12:10:28 AM »

The Tidal Fraser River lacks the river current which fish can use as an advantage when you try to bring it in. In my opinion, even 12 - 15lb test is too heavy and unnecessary. My main line on the spinning reel for lure casting is always 8lb test Maxima Ultragreen. I have 10lb test on a bigger spinning reel and a baitcasting reel as I use these for bottom fishing with roe sometimes. The Shimano Sustain 2500 spooled with 8lb test was matched with a Clarus rated 8 to 12lb. This year I'm switching it to a Clarus rated 6 to 10lb, which will be a lot more fun when fighting a coho salmon.

This one last year was on the 8lb test.

This one from 2010 was on 6lb test main line, the spinning rod was 6' rated 2 to 6lb. It was an unexpected catch as the target species was bull trout. This fish decided to grab a 1/8oz spinner in 2ft of water. Again, the lack of current made it possible to land the fish with the ultralight setup.

This one was on 10lb test main line, caught by bottom fishing with roe.

Anyway, you get the idea... ;)

Chum salmon don't bite often probably for the same reason that sockeye salmon don't bite often in the Fraser River. Water clarity is not much of an issue. These fish simply just want to move upstream. Both chum and sockeye salmon, once arrive at their natal stream, they'll bite frequently when holding in runs.

Pink salmon do the same thing to in the Tidal Fraser sometimes, they simply just want to motor upstream and will not look at your lure. This happens mostly when the tide is really low.

I have caught chum salmon by casting and retrieving spoons in the past. When it does happen, I usually catch several at once, which suggests there is a factor that triggers this sudden change in behaviour.