Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hey white dude !  (Read 8618 times)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
Re: hey white dude !
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »

Great comments !

I got over it this morn when the wife said get up white dude and we both had a good laugh !

TNAngler

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 08:00:30 AM »

IMO this is kinda why we HAVE racism still. He didn't think anything of it until he analyzed it and thought about it. If people got offended less when race comes up... Unless the guy DID want to insult a white guy all he did was bring up an obvious physical description. And on that subject I never got "black" as racist... it's skin color. African-American IS a race, so why is that not racist. Considering 99% of African Americans never set foot in Africa or plan to... Imagine if "white" ppl were called European-Americans that would be funny and prove how stupid most "racist" comments are.
IMO if it's not meant to insult someone (i.e. it's just a fact) then forget about it and move on

It is the same type of thing with  mentally handicapped people.  It used to be, they were called retarded, because that was the clinical diagnosis.  That got a bad stigma because people associated retarded with something bad.  So, then it wasn't ok to say someone was retarded, they were mentally handicapped.  Now that has a stigma so they are coming out with new things to call these people that currently don't have a bad stigma.  In the end though, it won't matter.  The stigma is there because of what it represents and the new term will become soiled as well.

It used to be Negro, shortened to another N word, then black, then African-American.  Pretty sure that is getting changed too.  The people making these dumb PC rules don't understand that no matter what you call blacks, it is going to be associated with people that are black.  They want a new term that isn't associated with blacks but by using the new term, they defeat their purpose.

In short, people are dumb.  Really dumb.  Heck, Seattle just passed a thing that brown bags can't be called such, especially bringing a brown bag lunch because that will offend brown people.

Personally, I think all these names are one of the biggest problems.  Instead of facing the issue head on and dealing with it, we are pussyfooting around it and never solving anything.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »

In short, people are dumb.  Really dumb.  Heck, Seattle just passed a thing that brown bags can't be called such, especially bringing a brown bag lunch because that will offend brown people.

Erm... have link to support that claim?

No such "thing" was "passed", it was simply a memo from the Chief Spokesperson from the Office of Civil Rights in Seattle to the city's public information officers. 

Do I agree such a thing is pretty ridiculous?  Yes.  But let's keep the facts straight. ;)

TNAngler

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »

Erm... have link to support that claim?

No such "thing" was "passed", it was simply a memo from the Chief Spokesperson from the Office of Civil Rights in Seattle to the city's public information officers. 

Do I agree such a thing is pretty ridiculous?  Yes.  But let's keep the facts straight. ;)

Oh, right, my bad.  That was how it was presented on the news that I saw.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

Sometimes, racism doesn't have to have spoken words about your race or colour of your skin. The attitude and the manner in which words were spoken can convey naked racism.

This is the story of my friend couple. About 30+ years ago when they first immigrated here from Hong Kong, they rented a 2-br house from a white lady. She was treating them like they are retards about renters' rights. She would retain key access to the house and without knocking on the door would come in the house often to get her own mails. Then she asked them if they could paint the house for her for free if she provided the paint, implying that they could stay there longer if they did. But in 6 months she moved back. Then she retained the $400 rental deposit and refused to pay them back, threatening them that she would get the police because the soap holder in her old & worn out bath had come loose (according to my friends, it was already loose when they rented). Then she blasted them for complaining about all these and that. Next she uttered the most memorable words I had ever heard directed to my friends and their race "Why you complain? Don't your people live like rats in China?" She never said a racist word. Be your judge if she was a racist.

Next story happened to me at Lafarge Lake. I was walking towards the little floating dock trying to cast from there. A local guy was 20 ft from the dock leaning on the concrete walk way and his dog was playing in the near shore water about 20 ft to the left of the dock. He would yell at me to stop walking on the dock. When I ignored him, he just yelled and cursed at me that I am intruding on his privacy and rights to enjoy the lake plus endangering his dog. I said it is a public lake and I am using a fishing dock. I said I would cast and sit down and wouldn't be a problem to anybody. He just got so mad and 4 letter words were directing at me and of course the 'go back where you came from' usual statement of racists. He forgot I pay taxes too and he tried to claim sovereignty over a fishing dock when he was just walking his dog and I was the fisherman. What a way to spoil my fishing day! If I were a white guy, would I get a better and fairer treatment? Is he racist? Be your judge?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:48:13 PM by liketofish »

TNAngler

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »

Sometimes, racism doesn't have to have spoken words about your race or colour of your skin. The attitude and the manner in which words were spoken can convey naked racism.

This is the story of my friend couple. About 30+ years ago when they first immigrated here from Hong Kong, they rented a 2-br house from a white lady. She was treating them like they are retards about renters' rights. She would retain key access to the house and without knocking on the door would come in the house often to get her own mails. Then she asked them if we could paint the house for her for free if she provided the paint, implying that they could stay there longer if they did. But in 6 months she moved back. Then she retained the $400 rental deposit and refused to pay them back, threatening them that she would get the police because the soap holder in her old & worn out bath had come loose (according to my friends, it was already loose when they rented). Then she blasted them for complaining about all these and that. Next she uttered the most memorable words I had ever heard directed to my friends and their race "Why you complain? Don't your people live like rats in China?" She never said a racist word. Be your judge if she was a racist.

Next story happened to me at Lafarge Lake. I was walking towards the little floating dock trying to cast from there. A local guy was 20 ft from the dock leaning on the concrete walk way and his dog was playing in the near shore water about 20 ft to the left of the dock. He would yell at me to stop walking on the dock. When I ignored him, he just yelled and cursed at me that I am intruding on his privacy and rights to enjoy the lake plus endangering his dog. I said it is a public lake and I am using a fishing dock. I said I would cast and sit down and wouldn't be a problem to anybody. He just got so mad and 4 letter words were directing at me. He forgot I pay taxes too and he tried to claim sovereignty over a fishing dock when he was just walking his dog. What a way to spoil my fishing day! If I were a white guy, would I get a better and fairer treatment? Is he racist? Be your judge?

Both are racist.  Many people are.  By the criteria some use, neither are but if either had said a derogatory word, then they are.  It isn't the words, it is the thought behind the word. 

trot

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »

The amount people cry racism these days really bothers me. It doesn't seem to matter what it is or who does/says it. If a person says/does something to someone of a different race which they do not like, instantly race is brought up. The funny thing is (and im sure someone will call racist right now) I never see or hear white people getting their panties in a bunch about it-I am white and have had plenty of racial remarks made to me but really do not care-Same goes for others I know. Living where I do, I am mostly around first nations and get the "whitey" or "cracker" remarks monthly. Wonder what would happen if I dropped a "chug" bomb?

I think people need to get over color-its 2013 and it seems we are walking backwards. I see way more race related garbage in the news and real life then ever before.

RiverRunner

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »

must have been in surrey

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

im not racist, i hate everyone equally. easy on the surrey jabs. lol.

StillAqua

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »

so after a long hot week of work and not wanting to cook or bbq, we decided to go to the boston pizza up the street !

as were are leaving this person says hey white dude r u leaving , I respond yes, dude says cool I'll take your spot
I said ok !

It wasn't til I got home till I thought to my self... hhmm that was kinda racist !

still really don't really know what to think

I think you misheard him...he said "hey, wide dude, r u leaving?". He was referring to the breadth of your butt and the ample parking spot you were vacating in the restaurant. Happens to me all the time.....  ;D ;D

banx

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »

well theres reverse racism in vancouver everyday.  I tried to rent a suite in van around fraser and 64th and he told me a rental amount... which was a tad higher than his add.  so i get my east indian buddy to call him and speak punjab. guess what, its $200 less a month than he quoted me. 

I feel that the PC way of talking about things make it worse. like what was happening in richmond regarding signs on stores not even having anything in english..... the people who spoke up were called racist. which is pathetic.  that would never happen in quebec, and no one would be saying racism.

as a first gen canadian,   I feel that previous waves of immigrants were faced with near assimilation, either learn the language or get the bleep out... no english no work.  it's why you have cultural clubs.  its the opposite now.... atm's have multiple languages on them, and your way more likely to find employment if your bilingual.  $ also doesn't care what colour you are.

you don't really see mixed groups of kids playing together unless it's organized sports. at least not in the 5 years i've been in vancouver.

the best thing about immigration is the variety of food..... and some pretty ladies.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:35:51 PM by banx »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »

well theres reverse racism in vancouver everyday.  I tried to rent a suite in van around fraser and 64th and he told me a rental amount... which was a tad higher than his add.  so i get my east indian buddy to call him and speak punjab. guess what, its $200 less a month than he quoted me. 

I bet if you compare prices of rent in an English News Paper versus any of the Non-English ones you'll find the English one is priced higher.  Landlords assume if you speak perfect English you have more money and you likely can afford higher rent.

Anyhow, how about those Pink Salmon in the Squamish River?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »

Anyhow, how about those Pink Salmon in the Squamish River?

They are the most racist fish I have ever encountered. If your fly or lure isn't pink or chartreuse, they will snub it.  :P