Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your favourite smokehouse?  (Read 17761 times)

Mr Z

What's your favourite smokehouse?
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:46:30 PM »

So I love smoked salmon and most of my catches end up cold smoked.

I was wondering which is your favourite smokehouse to get your catch smoked?

I recently brought 2 pinks to Yoshi in N.Van and 2 to Finest at Sea in Granville Island. In 3/4 weeks when I get them back I'll report on the result :)

Last year I had a white chinook somked at finest at sea and it was pretty good a nice delicate smoke. Now I'm curious to compare with Yoshi.

So what's YOUR favourite?

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: What's your favourite smokehouse?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »

I just smoke my own. That way I can control how I want it done. And it doesn't cost me as much.

Mr Z

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »

I just smoke my own. That way I can control how I want it done. And it doesn't cost me as much.

Man I'd love to do that, unfortunately as far as I'm living in an apartment it's a no go  :(

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:43:43 AM »

Ah ya. Never thought of that.

RossP

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:57:03 PM »

I live in a condo and I can use my Bradley on the balcony. I have never had a complaint in three years.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »

I have been using Yoshi's for years and they are very good.

Mr Z

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:07:08 PM »

I live in a condo and I can use my Bradley on the balcony. I have never had a complaint in three years.

You are lucky you found a very nice easy going condo.

Suther

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »

As long as you are allowed a bbq on your balcony I would think a smoker would be fine too?

Some places you can just ignore the rules as long as your neighbors don't complain (just bribe them with fish!)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

As long as you are allowed a bbq on your balcony I would think a smoker would be fine too?

Some places you can just ignore the rules as long as your neighbors don't complain (just bribe them with fish!)

X2 on the bribery!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

StillAqua

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »

Man I'd love to do that, unfortunately as far as I'm living in an apartment it's a no go  :(
Got a stove with an exhaust fan above it? I smoked fish when I lived in an apartment in my early 20's in an old stainless steel pot I picked up from a yard sale, and then I finished on the lowest heat in the oven. Here's something similar: http://lifehacker.com/5880818/build-your-own-stovetop-smoker-with-kitchen-gear-you-already-have
You can buy stove top smokers from restaurant supply stores but I like the do it yourself approach.

Suther

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:02:26 PM »

That stovetop idea gets me thinking. What if you built a steel box to sit on the counter to hold meat, then  take a pot with a good lid and join the two with dryer duct. Put the pot on the stove with chips, and smoke away! Run the dryer duct into a sink full of cold water if you want a cold smoke.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 06:01:47 AM »

Good luck getting this past your wife.unless you are one of the few fortunate ones.
Riverman

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »

I had 80lbs of fish done at St. Jeans this year. 30lbs of candy, 30lbs of hot smoked cajun, and 20lbs of cold smoke and the product I got is excellent. I quite often smoke my own but this year took the lazy way out and was not disappointed. Anybody thinking of smoking fish in your house is insane IMO. It stinks no matter what you do, unless smokey fish is a smell you enjoy in your house save yourself the trouble and get it done or buy a smoker.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:19:13 AM by dereke »
always a student

sandy999

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »

Actually there are quite a few condo`s and town houses now that you can not even have a Bar B Q let alone a fish smoker. If you are unsure read your bylaw's you could be in for a surprise. The board of directors can fine you and if you do not pay they are able to put a lean against your house. There are many condo`s now that are trying to ban even cigarette smoking even on your outside patio. Like it or not it`s coming.

As far as the best smoker to buy. If I did not own a Little Chief for many years and it works just fine I would like to own a Bradley. The only problem is that maybe once a year I smoke fish and I never kill any fish unless I am going to eat it that day. So in other words I do not catch many fish any more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:00:53 PM by Rodney »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »

Actually there are quite a few condo`s and town houses now that you can not even have a Bar B Q let alone a fish smoker. If you are unsure read your bylaw's you could be in for a surprise. The board of directors can fine you and if you do not pay they are able to put a lean against your house. There are many condo`s now that are trying to ban even cigarette smoking even on your outside patio. Like it or not it`s coming.

They can't put a lien against your property for unpaid fines, only for unpaid Strata Fees or Special Assessments...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.