Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your favourite smokehouse?  (Read 17759 times)

sandy999

Re: What's your favourite smokehouse?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 08:24:33 AM »

They can't put a lien against your property for unpaid fines, only for unpaid Strata Fees or Special Assessments...

May I ask where you got this information from, about fines being unable to be applied to your home and or property. Does this situation apply to both strata and corporations, being that corporations are usually leased land from the native bands.

dwleo

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

Wow!
This topic started as 'What's Your Best Smoker?' and went into condo rules.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »

May I ask where you got this information from, about fines being unable to be applied to your home and or property. Does this situation apply to both strata and corporations, being that corporations are usually leased land from the native bands.

sorry Sandy, didn't see this post earlier.  Read the Strata Act - fines are NOT listed as something they can lien you for.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC/complete/statreg/--%20S%20--/Strata%20Property%20Act%20[SBC%201998]%20c.%2043/00_Act/98043_06.xml#section116

Certificate of Lien
116  (1) The strata corporation may register a lien against an owner's strata lot by registering in the land title office a Certificate of Lien in the prescribed form if the owner fails to pay the strata corporation any of the following with respect to that strata lot:

(a) strata fees;

(b) a special levy;

(c) a reimbursement of the cost of work referred to in section 85;

(d) the strata lot's share of a judgment against the strata corporation;

(e) [Repealed 1999-21-25.]

(2) The strata corporation may register a lien against any strata lot, but only one strata lot, owned by an owner as owner developer, by registering in the land title office a Certificate of Lien in the prescribed form if the owner developer fails to pay an amount payable to the strata corporation under section 14 (4) or (5), 17 (b) or 20 (3).

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply if

(a) the amount owing has, under section 114, been paid into court or to the strata corporation in trust,

(b) arrangements satisfactory to the strata corporation have been made to pay the money owing, or

(c) the amount owing is in respect of a fine or the costs of remedying a contravention.

(4) On registration the certificate creates a lien against the owner's strata lot in favour of the strata corporation for the amount owing.

(5) The strata corporation's lien ranks in priority to every other lien or registered charge except

(a) to the extent that the strata corporation's lien is for a strata lot's share of a judgment against the strata corporation,

(b) if the other lien or charge is in favour of the Crown and is not a mortgage of land, or

(c) if the other lien or charge is made under the Builders Lien Act.

(6) On receiving the amount owing, the strata corporation must within one week remove the lien by registering in the land title office an Acknowledgment of Payment in the prescribed form.

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »

Yoshi's cold smoke, light salt ,were my usual outfit , but now have a bradley, after I burnt down the outhouse a couple of years back and am looking forward to some home done stuff again, every batch unique.
re levies /strata fees with Bbg and smokers.

where does the fines/levies fit if it's a Municipal By-Law Infraction? The strata get fined ( common area, for the use of.....) and how do they then pass it on. BTW, the usual reason for Bbq bans is By-law /Fire Code / (Health and Safety). Kind of surprised no one said anything, especially strata managers or committee members.
 It is illegal across the province , unless the Balcony is fire rated and then municipalities can then set their own requirements, usually it is older grandfathered buildings that still allow them.

finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »

Yoshi's cold smoke, light salt ,were my usual outfit , but now have a bradley, after I burnt down the outhouse a couple of years back and am looking forward to some home done stuff again, every batch unique.
re levies /strata fees with Bbg and smokers.

where does the fines/levies fit if it's a Municipal By-Law Infraction? The strata get fined ( common area, for the use of.....) and how do they then pass it on. BTW, the usual reason for Bbq bans is By-law /Fire Code / (Health and Safety). Kind of surprised no one said anything, especially strata managers or committee members.
 It is illegal across the province , unless the Balcony is fire rated and then municipalities can then set their own requirements, usually it is older grandfathered buildings that still allow them.

If you read that, it says d) the strata lot's share of a judgment against the strata corporation; - I would assume that a municipal by-law fine would be considered a judgement (or maybe not, maybe it has to go through court to fight it and lose?).  I'm not a pro, just a volunteer president of our strata.  My advice is to contact your property management company and ask them, failing that, call the law services society or dial a law etc and check.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

BeeVee

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 07:14:11 AM »

The problem with strata as well is that the council members can change on an annual basis and therefore so can the leniency of the bylaws. Something can be overlooked one year but not the next.

good luck.

Mr Z

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »

I'm surprise this post is still around I guess there isn't much traffic on the cooking forum :(

Anyway at this point I had a good opportunity of testing both smookeries so I thought to post here my experience as other may find it interesting

Finest At Sea in Granville Island:
I cold smoked a large marbled chinook and 4 pink in this store.
The chinook was a little under smoked in my opinion. Probably because it was a good size 20Lb
2 of the pinks turn out well. 2 pink turnout either over smoked or over brined as their meat was darker in color and drier to eat.
Over all I'm not too impressed

Yoshi in N.Van
I cold smoked 4 pink here
They were all good and consisted quality
The price was a little higher but probably because they charged extra for each extra package.
They also have a minimum weight of salmon

Overall I liked Yoshi better I'd just need to make sure to save up enough salmon before brining them over.

chronicfisher

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »

Just curious noob here silly question to ask. Do I to butcher clean and filet the fish before dropping off?or is a simple bleed and gutting enough? Also is it ok to bring salmon that has been frozen or do I keep in fridge tilli have enough to take to a smoke house?

wayne

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 01:59:37 PM »

HI.
If you're bringing your fish in for processing, the processor is going to charge you for the in coming weight. It best to clean and remove the head and collars ( pectoral fin ) and if you want the pelvic fin and the belly strip. The processor will remove and discard them away when they filet the fish, or keep them for their own use. Whole undressed fish can be brought in as well but they will also charge you a fee for cleaning. Some processors will even give you price break if you filet the salmon.

I usually filet my own salmon before I bring it in, that way I can scarp the excess meat off the bones for salmon burgers and stock from the bones.

The fish can be brought fresh or frozen, most processors will freezer your salmon until they have time to process your batch.
 Hope this helps

chronicfisher

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 10:38:10 PM »

Thanks Wayne!