Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinks in Richmond- South Arm  (Read 8909 times)

1stlite

Pinks in Richmond- South Arm
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »

A friend of mine who lives out in Richmond went out fishing in the south arm after dinner last night said he landed a pink salmon (incoming tide). He told me he was there just over an hour and lost two fish, the third he was able to land. Told me it was about a 4lb. female pink salmon. I guess the some are starting to enter the Fraser now. Since I live in Squamish now, it's a bit far to travel. But, I might just try tomorrow morning during the incoming tide since Furry Creek is hit and miss at the moment and crowded unlike the South arm where there's lots and lots of room. See you out there. It's only going to get better before it's OVER.

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Pinks in Richmond- South Arm
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »

I take my lunch break near the Fraser and seen half a dozen fish roll, sockeye or pink I don't know.  Hope they're pinks because the Squamish was busier than I have ever seen it today, which was surprising because the river had virtually zero vis (4") and the fishing reflects that.

c-pin

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

I was out in the Lower Fraser and the Sandheads on Monday. During the incoming tide, I saw about 5 or 6 fish jump. Like Matt, I could not tell if they were Pink or Sockeye, as I was too far away. I have been fishing the Lower Fraser during incoming and high tide the last couple of nights, but have not caught anything or seen fish jumping. There has been a lot of commercial fishing activity with drift nets, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Last season (2011) my first Pink was caught on July 28. Nothing yet for me this year.

Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »

I was out in the Lower Fraser and the Sandheads on Monday. During the incoming tide, I saw about 5 or 6 fish jump. Like Matt, I could not tell if they were Pink or Sockeye, as I was too far away. I have been fishing the Lower Fraser during incoming and high tide the last couple of nights, but have not caught anything or seen fish jumping. There has been a lot of commercial fishing activity with drift nets, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Last season (2011) my first Pink was caught on July 28. Nothing yet for me this year.

Typically sockeye move right in the middle of the river in fast water, pinks look for softer water close to shore.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »

From trolling at the Fraser mouth?

My earliest in the Tidal Fraser River was August 17th, but that was pretty unusual. I just happened to stop at the spot one evening and saw a small school going by. The first big push always arrives in the last few days of August, but it's always fun to try to beat your friends and catch the first one of the season. ;)

Shawn6o4

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 04:12:03 AM »

I live beside the water on the north arm and have been seeing 10-15 fish jumping every morning when I get home from work, I assume they are sockeye

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »

Cottonwood had a pink in the 31st of July
http://www.psc.org/TestFish/Area29BGNsummary.PDF
Someone was here

jasonkellar

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »

with the pinks hitting furry creek somewhat early this year I would expect to see some early runs coming through the south arm of the fraser.  anyone have any success yet?  generally I would start fishing for them around dyke road, have been past there twice now but have not seen any fishers around.  trying to decide when to take my annual fishing week off from work.

Cheers

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

NOBODY is going to tell when they hit some early fish.

In 2011, the mass of fish didn't start showing up until August 31.

May be a bit early this year - safest to take the last week of August or the first week of September off.

juno

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »

I seen  a couple of guys casting for pinks last weekend at triangle road.  2 years ago I was very enthusiastsic and started early,with nothing to show. at a different spot . just going to wait for a while

RiverRunner

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:57:06 PM »

soon enough the fish will move up river in massive numbers... doesnt hurt to try now tho!

MoeJKU

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

You had to go and post it on a public forum before the masses start to come. Ive already got a few chucking some pink wollies and handlebars out.but have been  :-X so i have the beach to myself for a couple days while everyone is in squamish. Good luck out there should be a good season.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »

I saw a large pink caught up near Hope at the end of July so they are definitely some in the river.

Last evening at the south arm at the end of #3 road there were a few fish swirling near the fishing wharf, I assume Pinks.  It appeared to be a school passing by.   Also some active jumpers midstream, I assume sockeye.

A few people fishing but no success observed in perhaps 20 minutes of watching.

juno

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »

enough said about the pinks coming in large Numbers? Last pink season was very poor. in previous years there was an abundance to catch anywere.  I hope this year will be better, unless the cause was  that I am a poor fisherman. looking forward>>>>>to this year

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »

enough said about the pinks coming in large Numbers? Last pink season was very poor. in previous years there was an abundance to catch anywere.  I hope this year will be better, unless the cause was  that I am a poor fisherman. looking forward>>>>>to this year

2011 was poor?  Not to my recollection. This season is off to a good start, only 1 fishless day out of three (unfortunately the day I took the kids along).
Not all those who wander are lost