Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River, August 4th 2013  (Read 3650 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Squamish River, August 4th 2013
« on: August 04, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »

High and muddy.  Visibility about an inch.  Mamquam and Cheakamus not much better.  No fish from the rivers for me today.

aquaholic

Re: Squamish River, August 4th 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »

We managed one in that area, Went to Furry Creek and got a couple but it was very slow

ja

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »

Was also at the Squamish River today.  Agreed, water was fast and had poor visibility.  None for me. Saw 3 fish taken the whole time I was there. Beautiful day though to be out!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 12:54:55 AM »

River still blown :( Saw a few fish taken in the hour or two we were there.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »

the Mamquam is running dirty ??  ???

I don't think I have ever seen that river run dirty in all the years I have been fishing Squamish
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »

the Mamquam is running dirty ??  ???

Yes. Visibility was 6in or less downstream of the rail bridge.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »

high, muddy and lots of sunken logs/trees/branches. Fish around but you have to work for them

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »

Anybody know why the fishing boundary on Mamquam River is CN Railway Bridge just for Pinks, but not for the other species?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »

I have always laughed at using the rail bridge as the boundary. Only gives you a couple hundred feet of river to retain fish in that system. Im assuming they do that because there isn't another obvious boundary marker upstream until you get too far upstream where the fish will infact be on their reds already. that's just my assumption or they are just trying to limit people from crossing through peoples yards, parking on residential streets.......etc. They know for a fact that the amount of people gets ridiculous there on pink years, the reason perhaps why the boundary extends further up for other species is because the human impact is lessened considerably

Only way to know exactly what the reasons are is to get ahold of someone in fisheries. They might not even know though either
Check out our new blog

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »

I can't believe that dyke is closed. Pissed me off.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »

Yes it sucks the dyke is closed off but we are fisherman/women and a little walk to get to our spot(s) is really nothing we aren't used to anyways. I didn't read the whole deal with why its closed, I do however hope it gets opened back up because I thought it was a public use dyke which sort of means access shouldn't be blocked, doesn't it ?
Check out our new blog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »

Anybody know why the fishing boundary on Mamquam River is CN Railway Bridge just for Pinks, but not for the other species?

The boundary is for retention only. You are certainly permitted to fish for all species including pink salmon above the railway bridge, just cannot retain them.

hickman

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »

The fenced part of the dyke is private property. I think, vandalism on the parked trailers are mostly the reason why the owner fenced it off. There are ways around it though if you want to access the inflow of the Cheakamus. There are plenty of other good spots on the Squamish though.
Rivers are still running high and silty because of the heat up high and glacial run off. No point fishing in mid-day heat anyway.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »

The boundary is for retention only. You are certainly permitted to fish for all species including pink salmon above the railway bridge, just cannot retain them.
Thanks for the clarification.  It certainly gives catch and release anglers a lot of room.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »

Yes. Visibility was 6in or less downstream of the rail bridge.

During the last cycle the Mamquam ran brown for a couple of weeks during the peak of the return.  In fact, the Squamish was the much cleaner of the two systems.  You basically had to bump the fish's face with your fly....that's if you didn't floss it first. Just have to use patterns with a little more flash and pizazz!

A pic from the last cycle:

You definitely have to work for them now in conditions like that but it's doable...still managed to hook a dozen last Friday in these conditions and surprising not a one was flossed.....got half of them on the retrieve to recast.  How those fish can see in that MURK is truly amazing!

My Pink Pizazz:

I'll be happy with a foot of viz tomorrow....anymore than that and you may see me dancing....but NOT likely~