Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 71728 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 07:52:23 PM »

I have 4 kids, so very busy and the best way to get to the river is teach them all!

I resemble that remark!
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »

That's unfortunate.  I caught all of my pinks from beach on buzz bombs using circle hooks and have never snagged one.  It works.

Do you miss many hook-ups because the circle hook slips out of the fish's mouth when you set it or do the fish actually hook themselves? I have been thinking about using circle hooks when float fishing for either pink or coho salmon, didn't think anyone would actually use them for lure fishing. Very interesting.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 01:01:06 AM »

I tried circle hooks before for coho to keep from the accidental chum snagging that goes on when they thrash around. I found you really need a heavy hook set to bury the hook. my softer tipped rod just didn't seem up to the task most of the time but when the fish took it hard they more of less hooked themselves..............total fluke with coho usually though
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

wookie

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »

just did the walk last weekend, the gate is right off of Govt road at the Spit exit. 
At least 25 minutes to get to a fishable spot

wookie

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

Btw HOOK's kids are only there so he can retain more fish by using their limits. 
His kids have never touched a rod...I'd know cause I fish with him  ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »

They aren't early. normally no one talks about the small amount of early very chrome fish that start trickling in. By beginning of August anyone that has fished Furry Creek or a few of the other beaches has noticed the fishing has tapered off meaning that more have reached the river already

My buddy was on the river yesterday and got a late start. he arrived with a friend around 9am and the entire bar was lined with guys already. he didn't see much action for himself or anyone else
I fished Howe Sound yesterday and it was not smokin' by any standard. Lots of room on the beach, that tells you sumthin and most guys who got fish had to work hard for one. Not many risers either. It appears there was a bump on the weekend but I think it's still a week or two from the peak and will fish well right into August.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

samw

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »

Do you miss many hook-ups because the circle hook slips out of the fish's mouth when you set it or do the fish actually hook themselves? I have been thinking about using circle hooks when float fishing for either pink or coho salmon, didn't think anyone would actually use them for lure fishing. Very interesting.

For me, I have noticed a higher percentage in success in landing pink salmon using buzz bomb with circle hook compared to using croc spoons.  In addition to beach, I've also used them on tidal Fraser. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »

For me, I have noticed a higher percentage in success in landing pink salmon using buzz bomb with circle hook compared to using croc spoons.  In addition to beach, I've also used them on tidal Fraser.

I'm sure the landing rate is pretty high as the hook would stick in there pretty well once hooked. What I am more interested in is the initial hook-up, do you find yourself missing a lot of bites? Do you set the hook as you would normally do with a J-style hook, or do you pause a bit and allow the fish to hook itself?

samw

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:49 AM »

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to that question.  Usually by the time I feel resistance, its fish on.  I haven't been able to tell if a fish bites and then immediately spits out a lure.  I don't need to set the circle hook as hard as I would with a J hook.  Just a tug to be sure. 

Zackattack

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2013, 01:06:16 AM »

was doing some scoutin near Mamquam bar yesterday and saw 2 adult black bears head to a trail we were just at minutes before. beware the bear haha

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to that question.  Usually by the time I feel resistance, its fish on.  I haven't been able to tell if a fish bites and then immediately spits out a lure.  I don't need to set the circle hook as hard as I would with a J hook.  Just a tug to be sure.

That's how they are supposed to work. You are also not supposed to set the hook just keep retrieving. I always thought that part would be tough with fly gear as I am so conditioned to pull back to set the hook. I've got some stainless streamer circle hooks - I'll have to try them this year... but I say that every year!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »

but I say that every year!

Yep... All these packages of circle hooks are just sitting in my storage. Maybe this year...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »

Wookie - be careful cause my oldest should be out casting you by age 10  :P lol

Also if you didn't see it looks like the gate is now open or at least that's what I gathered from Rodneys post about access parking
Check out our new blog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »

Also if you didn't see it looks like the gate is now open or at least that's what I gathered from Rodneys post about access parking

The gate is opened but only a small part of the dyke is open for anglers to park. The rest is still blocked off by concrete blocks. The stretch along the dyke holds about 30 cars (but that depends on where the drivers come from, Richmond... or Vancouver... From Richmond, maybe only 10 cars).

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »

if the drivers come from Richmond then I can park on top of their small cars or hook them up and pull their car to make room to park  ;) lol
Check out our new blog