Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: capilano river  (Read 12423 times)

Hasport

capilano river
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »

I just wanted to voice my concern about something I saw monday while fishing the capilano river.
we went and parked by the hatchery to go check out this run called cable pool as Ive never been there,
when we realized that the fishing spot was a good 30 ft easily above the water we decided to not fish it.
however several other people were after watching all the people standing on the edge of this cliff try to catch fish it soon dawned on me that if they were to catch a fish how were they going to reel it in with out cousing harm or unnecessary stress to the fish.
well after watching a guy catch a fish and it swinging 20 ft in the air against the  rocks  i took a closer look at the fish and realized it was a winter run steelhead  nice fish to bad it hit every rock on the cliff the whole way up.
so I then thought to my self hmmm how is he going to release this fish without doing more harm to it than he has already.
I have to admit congrats to him knowing he had to release all steelhead in the capilano. to bad he dropped it 30ft back into the water.
I know fish are tough and they can do amazing things and survive amazing things but the last thing they need to go through is
some scissorbill hooking them reeling them in bashing them against rocks and dropping them 30 ft back into the water to be so traumatized that it floats belly up downstream.

I am truly shocked that dfo or somebody with the city has not done or said somthing about this.
and im even more shocked that these people that think there fishermen even consider casting there lines in this spot.
to think about the amount of fish that are dying and being mistreated in this spot alone really drives me nuts.
if these people dont start using there heads and using common sense there will be no fish left.
anyway im sorry if you disagree with me and if you feel im attacking you directly if your one of these people but its wrong and everybody knows it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:57:38 AM by Hasport »

soliak

Re: capilano river
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »

I have been fishing the Capilano since April (moved to BC last year) for early run Coho and the Cable Pool seems to be the most popular spot. You can get down from there and release the fish but it's a bit of a mission.

IMO if it's a Coho and you are gonna keep it then you can swing it up (you can do this without hitting the rocks too), but if it's a Steelhead then you should definitely get down. If people aren't doing this then you should say something. I know some people don't like being confrontational but it's pretty frustrating hearing peoples constant rants about bad fishing practices when they never say anything at the time, maybe it's just the Aussie in me.

My preference is to fish the dog leg, having said that I haven't been here for the 'rush' yet. Some locals have told me they get 8 people on that platform, can't say I am looking forward to that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:54:52 PM by soliak »

banx

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »

I agree with you completely.  When I moved to Vancouver 5 years ago, a few friends took me to that exact spot as well as 2 others on the cap.  The next week we visited the stave. 

What I saw disgusted me so much I quit fishing for 3 years.... something I've done my whole life.

Things are a little silly here in the lower mainland. some spots definitely need to be closed to fishing........... I read a lot of good suggestions on this board.  like an auxilary program with dfo etc. I would love to see some of these suggestions implimented.

Burkie

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »

That's what u get at a hatchery systems ..look at anywhere in that has a hatchery on it.  Brings out all the meat fishermen who don't care except to get their meat

soliak

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »

That's what u get at a hatchery systems ..look at anywhere in that has a hatchery on it.  Brings out all the meat fishermen who don't care except to get their meat

This is pretty true. I had two Russian's rock up at the Capilano about 3 weeks ago who setup next to me (whole river was basically free, no one around). When they asked how I was going (had been there for 4 hours for donut, it was early as hell in the season) and I told them there were little fish around, they promptly packed up and left straight away. Not real fisherman, just people looking for a free feed.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »

This is pretty true. I had two Russian's rock up at the Capilano about 3 weeks ago who setup next to me (whole river was basically free, no one around). When they asked how I was going (had been there for 4 hours for donut, it was early as hell in the season) and I told them there were little fish around, they promptly packed up and left straight away. Not real fisherman, just people looking for a free feed.
Maybe they moved to a different spot...

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »

Ive fished it during the early season and in the summer when the coho stack up with the low water and seem to like chasing flies, never during the peak season or fall when the guys wall up. Ive seen people have very long nets that I assume they use, but personally I have walked all of my fish around to the stairs. I use a light leader for fly fishing so I can't really hull the coho up (learned the hard way lol). Everything from steelhead to coho and bull trout, everything goes around except for small cutties. But then again I don't fish it as much during the peak periods as there are far better spots to fish in peace. Just treat the fish with care, something a lot of the "anglers" on that river can't seem to comprehend.   

Hasport

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »

I know that we should all talk to the people who are doing things at the time it happens.

but you know there is alot of wannabee yuppies out there that quite frankly would prob kick your a** or flatten your tires if you said the wrong thing to them or if they didnt like what your saying to them. so its better to voice your opinion here and avoid all of that bull sh*t at the river unless you can hold your own.
everyone has there own opinion and everyone is entitled but at the end of the day by following a couple simple things when we fish we can avoid having to stress and get mad when fish and just have fun and enjoy.
follow your regs!
identify your fish before you treat like a peice of meat your going to serve at supper!
and dont deprive a fish its breathing rights lol keep it in the water as much as possible.
bamm thats all it takes.

Pin-nook

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »

Hasport,

Great that you are seeing things like this because it gives you a better perspective of how you would conduct yourself on the river and that you have the common sense to treat the resource with respect.

I have fished this river for over 20 years and am not shocked at what I've seen especially the stupidness that is the Cable Pool. I have seen and heard of guys on this forum preach ethics but have been caught for breaking the the regulations set for this river so things haven't changed much.

Best advice I can give is: Follow the Regs, Observe and Report(If you have the guts...), and be safe! 

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »

The sad fact is it is not that hard to climb down to the river, you just need a sturdy rope and stout heart.  If I cannot climb down (too many guys down there already), I wont fish there, as I too use small tippet on my fly line.  Someone too lazy to climb down or find a more suitable spot, isn't going to care what you have to say about it. impact on the fish when it is hauled up and dropped like that, then move on.   If there is regulation infraction, report any infractions to DFO or the RAPP line, do not try to police the river yourself.
Not all those who wander are lost

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »

Anybody see Rudy out there?  ::)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »

Cable pool is a real beak nest on the Cap.
Once you gain some experience you wont be fishing there.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »

No you are wrong. i still seen a lot of the good rods and forum members still fish at the cable pool every year. ;) ;D

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »

ROTFLMFAO
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.