Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1309055 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #3001 on: March 20, 2018, 10:38:07 AM »

Nearly reached your quota for the week?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3002 on: March 21, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »

Chris can you ask Alfred these questions for me?

“We congratulate you for the strong stand you have taken against this industry,” said Ernest Alfred, a traditional leader of the Namgis First Nation, which is seeking a shutdown of 20 Atlantic salmon net-pen fish farms in British Columbia, with leases that come up for renewal in June.

Does Ernest Alfred represent all the First Nations of BC?

"“I represent many people all up and down the coast when I say we want the fish farms out,” Alfred said."

Again what bands do you represent Alfred?

"The declaration called for “consistency of law to ban all open net-pen Atlantic salmon fish farms."

How come only Atlantic salmon farms? when Kristy Millers research has shown that more virus and disease may be in chinook fish farms?

“Given our documented concerns toward the cumulative and collective impacts of fish farms on indigenous salmon populations, we call for an immediate halt to the restocking of fish farms and the cancellation or decline to renewal of all remaining fish farm leases along the west coast of North America.”

Again has DFO or any other Agency shown that fish farms have caused damage to wild stocks or is the reason for the declines in wild salmon? What are the cumulative and collective impacts?

http://www.chronline.com/news/washington-tribes-and-first-nations-unite-to-end-atlantic-salmon/article_f3977084-2c64-11e8-987c-8ba0a31fa8d0.html

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3003 on: March 21, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »

Chris can you ask Alfred these questions for me?

“We congratulate you for the strong stand you have taken against this industry,” said Ernest Alfred, a traditional leader of the Namgis First Nation, which is seeking a shutdown of 20 Atlantic salmon net-pen fish farms in British Columbia, with leases that come up for renewal in June.

Does Ernest Alfred represent all the First Nations of BC?

"“I represent many people all up and down the coast when I say we want the fish farms out,” Alfred said."

Again what bands do you represent Alfred?

"The declaration called for “consistency of law to ban all open net-pen Atlantic salmon fish farms."

How come only Atlantic salmon farms? when Kristy Millers research has shown that more virus and disease may be in chinook fish farms?

“Given our documented concerns toward the cumulative and collective impacts of fish farms on indigenous salmon populations, we call for an immediate halt to the restocking of fish farms and the cancellation or decline to renewal of all remaining fish farm leases along the west coast of North America.”

Again has DFO or any other Agency shown that fish farms have caused damage to wild stocks or is the reason for the declines in wild salmon? What are the cumulative and collective impacts?

http://www.chronline.com/news/washington-tribes-and-first-nations-unite-to-end-atlantic-salmon/article_f3977084-2c64-11e8-987c-8ba0a31fa8d0.html
Best you speak to him yourself, so you can have a good debate not sure when he is in Vancouver next. Not sure where you live. If you live on the island you could travel to Alert Bay for a meeting.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #3006 on: March 22, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »

Best you speak to him yourself, so you can have a good debate not sure when he is in Vancouver next. Not sure where you live. If you live on the island you could travel to Alert Bay for a meeting.
    :)  you should try that yourself Chris. But then you may learn where the money comes from that funds the dog science.
https://seawestnews.com/us-agency-alerts-public-lies-anti-fish-farm-activists/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:48:08 PM by Fisherbob »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3007 on: March 22, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »

:)  you should try that yourself Chris. But then you may learn where the money comes from that funds the dog science.
https://seawestnews.com/us-agency-alerts-public-lies-anti-fish-farm-activists/
I donot have to as very content on the stand I take on this issue, we continue to make headway all the time. Being near 75 I am not sure if I will live long enough to see the battle won but I am happy we have contributed to save our wild fish the best I can and the environment on other fronts too.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3008 on: March 23, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »

Come on guys no personal against Chris! He's fighting for salmon with his heart!

We can have a debate but no personal attacks!

also what is the definition of wild salmon these day? because im very confused after reading statements like these....

"5th year of rebuilding Capilano’s Chinook run with eggs from Chilliwack Hatchery. The goal is to eradicate any of the remnant Qualicum red population and replace with a fish that is less likely to rear in the inside passage. The program to date has been a success. With this program came with some CWT funding that we are using to evaluate rearing strategies (net pens vs. river release). This was the third year of receiving data on this project. Data suggest that net pen fish are being caught in high numbers and their survival is also high."

Also aren't Chilliwack Chinook Harrison stock? like im beginning to question the terms thrown around wild, native ect...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:19:15 AM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3009 on: March 23, 2018, 04:12:16 PM »

Chilliwack White chinooks came from Harrison River stock. The July reds are I believe Quesnel, Bowron, Chilko and Slim Creek fish. Buck will know for sure
There was a Chilliwack run of native red fleshed at one time but I think that is all gone now.

buck

« Reply #3010 on: March 23, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »

Chris
July reds are from Slim Creek.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3011 on: March 23, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »

Chris
July reds are from Slim Creek.
Thanks for the correct information.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3013 on: March 24, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »

Found my answer looks like he doesn't even represent all the people in his own Band!

https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.com/opinion/b-c-views-untold-stories-of-b-c-salmon-farms/

TF: There’s another guy named Ernest Alfred involved, is he related?

MI: Yes. I’m actually related to Ernest myself. So he says, anyway. The day he occupied Swanson Island, the first day he was there, I arrived there and he said, “hey, there’s my cousin Maurice.”

TF: He’s a hereditary chief?

MI: He’s the representative, he’s the lead guy. He’s not a negotiator. He’s stated that many times. He’s a bad representative of our people. He’s disrespectful.

TF: Licences for 18 Broughton Archipelago salmon farms are coming up for renewal by the province. Do you think you’re getting a fair assessment?

MI: I don’t feel it’s fair from their side. The protesters aren’t actually showing any real science and facts, other than some cherry-picked pictures that they spent hours and hours trying to capture.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3014 on: March 24, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »

https://seawestnews.com/court-dismisses-namgis-application-stop-restocking-fish-farm/
So I wonder who pays the court costs?  No, I guess I know who .... us.  Another taxpayer bill because of activists like Almo.