Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1338676 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #885 on: July 21, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »

Posts like this are a direct result of the mothership, Almo, taking on water ;D  Just wait, an anti will soon dredge up a 10 year old study on Irish (or Scottish or Nova Scotian , or ..., but never, ever Washington State) salmon farms and how pregnant women and small children should stand at least 10 feet back from any farmed salmon.

More importantly, what happened to troutbreath??  Miss the owly bugger ;)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #888 on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:27 AM »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #889 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »

An advocate for fisheries

Outspoken officer’s book calls for everyone to be accountable

By Vancouver Sun, Vancouver Sun July 18, 2014

Randy Nelson’s book describes the adventures and politics of being a fishery officer in B.C.

Combine a thirst for adventure with a dedication to conservation and a gift for innovative scheming, and you will have Randy Nelson, a fishery officer in B.C. In Poachers, Polluters & Politics, he tells of some of his most memorable moments at the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and expresses opinions about how we are succeeding and failing at protecting B.C.’s most important resource.Q You’ve had some pretty creative strategies for catching poachers. Do you have an all-time favourite?

A My favourite method of catching a poacher was chasing them down on foot (I ran a 2:32 marathon). I chased literally hundreds of poachers throughout my career. I learned to never catch them right away — run them until they dropped. I never got into a physical confrontation with anyone I chased; they were usually a pile of wheezing, gasping jelly by the time I caught them.

Q Your job was full of all sorts of dangers. Was there a specific threat — either human or natural — that worried you the most?

A Well, you can’t reason with a charging grizzly bear — but then again — you can’t reason with some of the people out there. I was stabbed in the chest, hit by a truck, had my shoulder broken with an oar, and nearly drowned (to name a few), but the most lasting threat I felt was an anonymous death threat I received at home. I often left on patrols leaving my wife and two infant daughters alone, wondering who’d made the threats and if they would ever come to the house.

Q As a fishery officer, you must have a lot of knowledge about aquaculture, and its effects on the wild salmon population. Do you think it is possible to build a sustainable aquaculture industry?

A The industry should be moved to closed containment. The effluent and chemicals that are being put into fish-bearing waters would land anyone else in court. Closed containment would be a sustainable industry and could expand into a worldwide model of environmental stewardship that any politician could boast about.

Q The Cohen Commission on Fraser River sockeye was announced in 2010. What has come out of this $26-million public inquiry?

A 1. Zero response to the public

2. Muzzling of the internal response prepared by DFO staff

3. Lifting the ban on aquaculture (contrary to the recommendations)

4. Shutting down the website without giving the public an official response — now that’s arrogantly alarming!

Most things work on a three-strike principle but that’s four and counting! I predict some form of response before the next federal election to try to put out some of the flames. I also predict the response will be filled with hollow promises and studies and a few committees.

Q If the DFO received additional funding for protecting our waterways, how would you like to see it allocated?

A The Cohen Commission came up with a number of recommendations that describe what needs to be done. I would also like to see B.C.’s habitat protection staff numbers reinstated. This would put control of our habitat back in the DFO, not the National Energy Board! I challenge the federal government to talk to me about a host of ideas that could save money and improve DFO. The current bureaucrats are too scared and filter the facts, much the same way beer becomes urine, or food becomes effluent.

Q You are rather outspoken about the federal government, and its handling of fisheries issues. How did you manage to stay out of trouble throughout your career?

A I tried to always stick to the facts, and hold on to them until a timely opportunity arose to present them to the right person. Holding people accountable applies as much to your supervisors as it does to your employees. I can honestly say I never got in trouble for sticking to that strategy, despite the many attempts that were made to “throw me under the bus” (a direct quote from a very senior person in Ottawa) after I testified and told the truth at the Cohen Commission.

Q What poses the most risk to our fish populations and waterways: poachers, polluters or politics?

A Everyone has an impact and until everyone admits that and stops pointing fingers we’re not likely to improve. All user groups, including the public and environmental groups, have become too complacent. Governments are experts at dividing the public so they can continue to procrastinate. I really can’t believe the lack of response to the Cohen Commission. If you haven’t spoke out and demanded a response, then you too are part of the risk to the resource.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #890 on: July 24, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »

A The industry should be moved to closed containment. The effluent and chemicals that are being put into fish-bearing waters would land anyone else in court. Closed containment would be a sustainable industry and could expand into a worldwide model of environmental stewardship that any politician could boast about.

BINGO!

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #892 on: August 02, 2014, 07:34:11 AM »

Looks like we should put ourselves in closed containment Nova.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/no-swimming-advisories-at-3-vancouver-beaches-1.1923780

Novabonker

• Old Timer

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #894 on: August 02, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »

http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/schools/law/lawreviews/journals/bcealr/27_1/03_TXT.htm
Interesting...
"one fish farmer in Britain solved his sea lice infestation problem by throwing seven kilograms of onions into his fish cage every week."

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #895 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »

Wonder if they were Sliced onions  ;D ;D ;D

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #896 on: August 02, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

Wonder if they were Sliced onions  ;D ;D ;D

Walla Walla sweets please, lightly caramelized in butter......

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #897 on: August 02, 2014, 10:56:46 PM »

Q The Cohen Commission on Fraser River sockeye was announced in 2010. What has come out of this $26-million public inquiry?

3. Lifting the ban on aquaculture (contrary to the recommendations)

Where in the recommendations did Cohen recommend the banning of aquaculture in BC? When you read the recommendations it was specifically directed to the Discovery Island area.

From Cohen Final Report (Volume 3; Chapter 2: Recommendations, page 25):
14 Beginning immediately and continuing until at least September 30, 2020, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans should ensure that:
• the maximum duration of any licence issued under the Pacific Aquaculture Regulations for a net-pen salmon farm in the Discovery Islands (fish health subzone 3-2) does not exceed one year;
• DFO does not issue new licences for net-pen salmon farms in the Discovery Islands (fish health sub-zone 3-2); and
• DFO does not permit increases in production at any existing net-pen salmon farm in the Discovery Islands (fish health sub-zone 3-2).

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #898 on: August 02, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »

http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/schools/law/lawreviews/journals/bcealr/27_1/03_TXT.htm

Can you show me these studies that show that salmon farms cause toxic algae blooms, specifically off our coast?  When I look at one of the references (i.e. The costs of eutrophication from salmon farming: implications for policy) I don't see much mention of any actual scientific work which conclusively found that salmon farms caused toxic algal blooms. References in this section of the article you posted are strung along in a sequence that supposedly implicates salmon farms as the major culprit, but I can't find any referenced study that actually looked into this and produced data to back up those findings.

Additionally, there is no mention of the risk of toxic algal blooms to wild fish vs. the risk to farmed fish. Any brief mention of behavioural adaptations and avoidance of blooms are missing.  More importantly, there is no mention of the natural occurrence of toxic algal blooms off our coast and the other environmental conditions that come into play to create them.

This is the best report I could find on the subject which went into any detail:
http://www.whoi.edu/fileserver.do?id=39383&pt=2&p=29109

It seems like it may be possible that some localized enhancement of blooms could occur near fish farms, but there is no evidence (as of the year of the article which was 2007). It appears if farms were located in poorly flushed bays and inlets that nutrients released from farms could exacerbate blooms, but the fact is that sites here in BC are chosen with good water flow to reduce the risk of toxic blooms.  This is probably why these kills on fish farms here are not as common as some critics believe.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #899 on: August 03, 2014, 06:35:51 AM »