Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1338316 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #810 on: May 01, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #811 on: May 01, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »

Thanks for that Bob.  My guess is my taste test report will be before hers ;)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #812 on: May 02, 2014, 07:21:15 AM »

"Ms. Morton urged the crowd at Centennial Square to demand that all B.C. salmon farms be moved from open water to closed containment systems on land."
"We can have our salmon farms on land and we can have our wild salmon back," she said. "We can have both."

Ask Doc Morton if the taste of this salmon is worth $36.90/kg. :)

"But a customer in Alberta, Canada, has provided The Truth About Alaska Salmon with their review: “a bit muddy, very soft and without flavor.” The customer couldn’t finish eating the fish as it left a “film on the teeth”. The only good news was that “the dogs really liked it!”
http://www.alaskasalmonranching.com/kuterra-salmon-already-failing-the-taste-test/

banx

« Reply #813 on: May 02, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »

I guess the albertans know their salmon..... with that easy access to both oceans I suppose.  :P

on a side note Dave.  I would be interested on how your going to cook em for your taste test.  Some people (myself included) cook different species of salmon different ways..... the way I cook pink is much different from coho... and cooking coho the same way I cook a pink doesn't bring out the best flavour of a coho...  maybe one of these closed pen guys, an open pen guy and a frozen coho if you have?

so what's your plan?  bbq with a lil olive oil, salt and pepper?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #814 on: May 02, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »

I picked up 2 small kuterra fillets this morning; very pricey .... $15.56 for .390 kg.  The product is sold skin on, is very pale in color, much like chum or pink and is striated with fat, like other farmed Atlantic's.   I plan on removing the skin and cooking it the same way I nearly always cook salmon - fried in a very small amount of olive oil, sprinkled with seasoned salt and fresh pepper.
Will give a report this evening.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #815 on: May 02, 2014, 12:16:21 PM »

Dave,  Were all the fish small or just the ones you chose?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #816 on: May 02, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »

Dave,  Were all the fish small or just the ones you chose?
There were very few fillets available, the manager said they had only had this product for 3 days.  Judging by the size of the fillets I purchased, the fish would have been about 5 lbs, max maybe a bit smaller.  I asked the seafood manager if any other customers had commented on this product, and apparently no one had.  She did say the price was the same as net pen Atlantics ($3.99/100 g) and the store was probably losing money promoting these fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #817 on: May 02, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »

Should catch your own Dave, sure they will cost a lot more but way better and healthier for you.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #818 on: May 02, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »

Should catch your own Dave, sure they will cost a lot more but way better and healthier for you.

Time to get with the real world Chris ;)

Well, I suppose we didn't do a true taste test as there were no fresh wild Pacific's or fresh pen raised Atlantic's across the table from the kuterra farmed salmon, which was prepared in the manner earlier posted.  I was particularly interested in the comment that these fish tasted muddy and having some experience with poor tasting interior rainbow trout, I wanted to try this product for myself.
 Out of the bag the portions of fillets smelled fresh and were firm, not soft.  Absolutely no fishy smells, and the uncooked texture of this product was, imo, comparable to fresh farm raised salmon, or frozen Pacific's. 
So how was it? My wife Arleen and I agreed it was very good, with zero muddy taste, and comparable to pen raised Atlantic's , and the many Pacific's we have previously eaten.   It is certainly milder tasting than say a fresh caught coho or steelhead, and has a higher fat content. 
If this is the future of cc salmon farming, I say wow, good stuff!  Pricing and marketing?...   another question.
 Fwiw, I suggest this product could be improved by selling skinless portions. 

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #819 on: May 02, 2014, 08:52:26 PM »

Thank you Dave. It looks like my post was mud. Goes to show we can not believe every thing we read no matter what side it comes from. It is great to know there are people like you that are willing to do the extra step and comment on it. :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #820 on: May 02, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »

Most of your posts are like mud, but smellier. More like that stuff under the net pen. Hope your not going to do something crazy to the fish under your care because of what Dave posted. There is still a good chance Dave will still have to buy more of the net penned fish until he's weened off the SLICE. So don't start cranking it out on the penners hoping for addiction rates to go up.

BTW having had Atlantic farmed salmon and not the real thing it's hard to make a comparison.

Dave you OK  ;D what's gotten into you. But I have to admit I don't eat a lot of trout because of the taste. I should rename myself kokaneebreath. 8)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #821 on: May 03, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »

banx

« Reply #822 on: May 04, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »

thanks for that Dave

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Fisherbob